Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

F75 or XP Deus

I am getting ready to purchase a new detector primarily for silver coin hunting.
Some of the areas I intend to hunt are literally covered with old square nails and so I am needing something faster than my Etrac, but want to get the best depth and ID stability that I can.
I would appreciate some input before I take the plunge
Thanks in advance.

For those conditions, you'll probably do better with a Fisher GB Pro or Tek G2 (same guts, different package) equipped with the 5 inch searchcoil.

--Dave J.

Or maybe the new Fisher thats coming out, right Dave....Dave? ......ahh....he's gone, just like that....lol.

Have you tried a smaller coil on your E-Trac? Slower swing speed of course comes with using a smaller coil. TTF and my 6X8 works very well in my ground. I also have a F-75SE and a G-2 and in a nail infested site the G-2 works well at separating good targets it just does not have the depth of a Minelab. The F-75 has the depth even with the 5 inch coil but is quite noisy if you are after the deeper targets. A lot of times you just have to remove all the bad targets you can to clear an area so the better targets can be retrieved. Regardless of what machine you decide on good luck . Sounds like a good place if you can get those good targets above ground. HH :fisher::minelab::teknetics:

New fisher. Or new teknetics? Is a new one comming out? Will it be multi freq? Will it have boost? Can I have one to field test I'm good at finding bugs before. A final ok for a production run? Okok guess we will all have to wait till spring. Mr.Johnson. Mr.Scott. Teknetics. R+d team. You're public eagerly awaits! First Texas. Simply the best! HH. To all. C t. Before I forget. G2. Just because of the carpet conditions you describe BUT. If you're planning to hunt less infested sites. And heck even in nails the f75ltd. Would be my choice. But if truly only heavy nail sites are what you got. G2. F75se ltd. Deeper. As deep as the fbs machine you mentioned for sure

Don't confuse recovery speed with unmasking ability. To recover a coin close to or touching a nail the Minelabs rule... The ferrous coin mode on the CTX is a improvement in unmasking AND recovery speed over previous models but a 6" Excelerator or 6x8 SEF on a Explorer /Etrac with proper sweep speed will give good results...If the coin has some distance between it and the nail the faster recovery speed models you mention will do a pretty good job at faster sweep speed but wont find the ones close to or touching the nail like the Minelabs will.....The NEl Sharpshooter coil on the T2/F75 makes a nice setup giving a nice combination of depth, emi rejection, recovery speed & unmasking ability allowing you to get a more stable tone and vid like you are accustomed to with the Minelab.... I have not used or even seen the XP but am under the impression it has the recovery speed but not the unmasking ability or stable id of the Minelabs...Remember, just because your Etrac is nulling doesn't mean that its not still detecting.... Run a more open screen or totally open screen to minimise or eliminate nulling.......wildherre

Absoulutely get the F75 with the small coil. You can adjust it many times over most other units and don't have to worry about 3 components of the detector being charged (unit, coil and phones - ha)

F-75 ltd with the small 5" coil is lightning fast with better separation than the Explorers or the e-trac...it's just the way it is....and I really like the ET, it's one of the best.
Now the heard the Deus is even faster, but I never used one, so I can't really comment on it.

The reason I suggest a single target type test bed further up the page is to test things like recovery speed. Faster the better sounds good and the Deus is really fast but there's also the effect on depth and some other machines don't lose depth at such a rate as the XP as recovery speed is increased.

I think you already have the best silver machine with the Etrac. Buy a X-8 or X-5 Sunray coil. I had several machines before my Etrac plus I also have a CTX. It is faster than the Etrac.

wildherre,
Thank you for your post / writeup! Excellent post and explanation. - Jim

wildherre said:
Don't confuse recovery speed with unmasking ability. To recover a coin close to or touching a nail the Minelabs rule... The ferrous coin mode on the CTX is a improvement in unmasking AND recovery speed over previous models but a 6" Excelerator or 6x8 SEF on a Explorer /Etrac with proper sweep speed will give good results...If the coin has some distance between it and the nail the faster recovery speed models you mention will do a pretty good job at faster sweep speed but wont find the ones close to or touching the nail like the Minelabs will.....The NEl Sharpshooter coil on the T2/F75 makes a nice setup giving a nice combination of depth, emi rejection, recovery speed & unmasking ability allowing you to get a more stable tone and vid like you are accustomed to with the Minelab.... I have not used or even seen the XP but am under the impression it has the recovery speed but not the unmasking ability or stable id of the Minelabs...Remember, just because your Etrac is nulling doesn't mean that its not still detecting.... Run a more open screen or totally open screen to minimise or eliminate nulling.......wildherre

Sounds to me like no one here has experienced the iron trash hunting capabilities of the XP Deus. I have a ML Explorer, F75, Gold bug Pro, and had an AT Gold. Dues is best in iron, GB Pro is second............. IMO

Good point from Wildherre.A lot of minelab owners think their machine is no good in iron because it nulls all the time.Like WH says,your machine will still detect a good target while in a state of null.I've used a minelab sovereign on iron infested sites over in the uk where the machine was in a constant state of nulling,but I still managed to pick up small roman coins from the iron.You have to use a smaller coil and go nice and slow but if you know your machine properly you can pick good targets from the iron with a minelab multi frequency machine.Another point is not to take too much notice of all these recovery speed tests you see people doing on you tube.....they don't really tell you anything useful at all.

You and Wildherre are so correct in your statements. I remember when I first started hunting with the Sov GT there was one particular hunting expedition that sticks in my mind - no matter how slow I went, the machine was in a constant "state of null". During this hunt, I was thinking I wouldn't find anything because of constant iron nulling. However not long into the hunt, I pulled out a merc dime. This proved to me early on that even though the machine was "seeing iron" and responding with a null, it saw the merc dime as well and responded. Yes, I was going at a crawl speed but the machine did its job well identifying and seeing both the ferrous and non-ferrous.

Nauti Neil said:
Good point from Wildherre.A lot of minelab owners think their machine is no good in iron because it nulls all the time.Like WH says,your machine will still detect a good target while in a state of null.I've used a minelab sovereign on iron infested sites over in the uk where the machine was in a constant state of nulling,but I still managed to pick up small roman coins from the iron.You have to use a smaller coil and go nice and slow but if you know your machine properly you can pick good targets from the iron with a minelab multi frequency machine.Another point is not to take too much notice of all these recovery speed tests you see people doing on you tube.....they don't really tell you anything useful at all.

But I use to like Norfolk Wolf doing his recovery speed tests on You Tube. Funny thing it mainly seemed to be U.S. detectorists who spotted the fiddles going on !

Deus is more interesting then F 75, but F 75 cheaper. if you dont need screen buy used Tesoro, Tejon, Outlaw with small coil, its will make the same job with much lower price.

Interesting last point.When the goldmax power was the height of fashion(the top xp model before the deus),it was always compared to the tejon, with both models scoring highly in amongst the iron.I'm talking ancient sites in Britain here where the most productive sites usually have high concentrations of iron.In tests,both machines were on a par with each other with testers saying it all boiled down to personal choice.The gold max power will perform the same job in iron as the deus so in theory the tejon with the right coil will do the same job as the previous poster suggested.
Also,you have to remember what the xp machines were developed for......finding tiny roman,celtic and hammered coins from in amongst the iron which are a much more difficult target than the coins you guys are looking for.So stasys is right,there are machines such as the f75,t2 and tejon which if set up correctly with the right coil for the conditions will be just as productive as the deus over in the states.

I loved my T2... love my V3i and AT Pro, but for silver coins?... Just got done using a Deus. I'll never give up my Etrac!... it's a beast on silver coins.

I think you'll lose out on the silver count swinging lightning fast on another detector that can be swung like that instead of a slow-n low Etrac screaming on the silver on edge when it hits it...

The only thing wrong with all that, and your right thats exactly what happened, was that true tests didn't take place. There was also the Tejon v Shadow X5 comparisons,Tejon cheap and better warranty (in the States) and X5 rainproof, better built and more expensive. Few paid any attention to the fact that the X5 had better performance over the whole range of conductors than the Tesoro which tended to favour certain items.

The Deus advantage (ignoring wireless features) is that you have a choice of frequencies not just the fractional variations of the Tesoro. This could be the big plus for many. Then the T2/F75, if you believe the designer and in this case I do, has its plus in that they don't suffer quite the constraints that you would expect from a single frequency design. This it seems is being claimed as the advantage of one of the new AKA machines as though its something they have just come up with but careful design has done it in the past.