Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

FA process vs no FA process

relicmeister

I used to favor Fast process on my f75 in heavy iron sites in particular. Now waiting for T2 classic to arrive. It does not have the software version with FA process. What would be the mode/ settings recommended for use in heavy iron given the lack of FA.

Honestly, everyone is different and seem to attack iron heavy sites in different ways and most seem successful.
Depends on you, mostly, and how you like to hunt...high disc, low disc, gain up, gain down, all metal or whatever.
A few things you should know...
Unlike many that hold to the high beams don't work in the fog, theory, that you lose resolution using higher gain vs low in trash or ion infested sites, on this platform, the F75/F70/Patriot/T2, all work better with opposite thinking.
Higher gain gives better resolution in packed and crowded sites, not lower.
Not easy to believe for some but true nevertheless...I have seen this myself many, many times.
In heavy iron, and believe me I have hunted in way more than my share of sites like that, I know two ways that work.
One is NASA Tom's low disc method...1 tone, (Mono), low disc, (I rarely use 0, mostly I stay between 1-4 with other settings as high as you can stand.

Actually, Tom has dive deep into this platform and came up with many great insights as to how these things really work out in the field so reading his stuff is recommended for a high degree of understanding.
Start with this....Google it.
Most F75 settings will transfer over to the F70 AND the T2 although slightly different disc levels on the T2 because of the larger iron range.
F-75 Peak Performance - Disc '6' & mandatory 'monotone' relic hunting justification
Some highlights...

When the F-75 is placed on a Disc setting of '6' and 'monotone'; This set-up config allows (under MOST circumstances) the best iron see-thru ability..... in locating non-ferrous targets in areas that are loaded with ferrous (usually nails) environments. The older the site....... the more nails will be present; subsequently, the more good targets will be masked. Most detectors will 'shut-down' under these scenarios. The F-75 (& T-2) are the only detectors currently available on the market that begins to tackle this type of (extremely common) scenario.... with some 'unmasking' success.
.... With F-75 Disc on '6' and 'monotone',,,,,,.....,,,,,, the moment you invoke a different tone option; Say 2-tone, 3-tone, 4-tone, etc.... the audio portion of the Disc, ....even though Disc is set on '6'...... will instantly become a Disc setting of '15'. What does this mean? = Any target that is between a Disc level of "6 thru 15" will now audibly report as a "Low Tone" (iron tone). BIG PROBLEM for a multiplicity of reasonings. Now, any target that is ABOVE a "15" (VDI reading)... MIGHT report a higher tone,,,, (tone freq depending on what tone option is invoked). -------Most folks do not dig iron. And most folks WILL miss masked non-ferrous targets when multitones are selected.

#1 On both the T-2 & F-75..... running a higher Sens gain in the trash (especially iron) presents a MUCH enhanced resolution on non-ferrous targets amongst iron. This is a paradoxical contradiction; what is....... but should NEVER be. Next time you find a non-ferrous target amongst high iron trash concentration (with high Sens settings)....... drop the Sens and see what happens. The non-ferrous target audio resolution will decrease.......possibly even disappear completely (depends how badly masked the non-Fe target is). The more masking... the HIGHER the Sens needs to be on the T-2/F-75. ((( This is not a typo )))!

#4 If you run Disc on 0-4 on the F-75..... all nails will report as good targets in monotone. With F-75 Disc on '6'..... MOST (not all) nails will report as a snap-crackle-pop....tick-click (not a solid audio); which, in turn..... can be ignored. Axe heads, hammers, gun barrels and other large iron targets will give a good audio with Disc on '6' on the F-75. .... But, MOST fields we hunt are not loaded with axe heads, gun barrels and hammers.

#5 The F-75/T-2 have a tendency to "up-average" non-ferrous target ID numbers when near disintegrated iron or bad minerals. VERY common occurrence. It is partial 'silent masking' coupled with conductive target response.

NOW.......... that being said. (((( If you are in a nail infested area, and you do NOT audibly fatigue easily = = = )))) IF, IF, IF, you can handle a lot of noise.... and the detector can handle (not EMI plagued) a Disc setting of '0' and a Sens setting of '99'....then hunt in 2, 3, 4 tones (your choice),,, hunting for the "deepies". YES.....the detector will mask some targets in this audio selection config (ie 2, 3, 4 tones are selected) because any (heavily masked) target that VDI ID's as a '15' or below will present a 'iron' audio response (as so stated in example above),,,,, BUT, the trade-off is; the F-75 will go deeper just by virtue of the Disc setting being '4' or below (especially '0').

Soooooooo, I am saying (by this set-up config) = MORE MASKING, BUT GREATER DEPTH. Hmmmmmmmm... trade-off. Which one does better? Disc '6' & monotone???? or Disc '0' and multi-tone???? The answer is: They BOTH do!!!!!!!!!
I am saying; HUNT the area in Disc '6' & monotone...... and perform all of the 'unmasking' that you can. THEN hunt in Disc '0' and a tone-option of your choice.... going for all the deepies.
NO...... you can not have both at the same time.

And more...
Google
When absolute maximum overdriven performance is desired:

I have YET to be able to handle a nail infested site with the detector in monotone.... and a Disc setting of '0'. This means that you hear absolutely everything.

It is not so much that a DE would over-engineer a detector to be audibly unintelligible; it's more a 'sensitivity function' of a gold prospecting capable unit..... coupled with a extremely fast microprocessor/clockspeed and very tight electromagnetic footprint emanating from the coil. Little flecks of iron will cause this particular detector set (F-75 & T-2) to sound electromagnetically unstable. On a recent hunt, I (as usual) was overdriving the F-75...and, in one area, it became electrically unstable (((so I thought))). Coil in the air.... and unit was stable. Coil on the ground and not moving.... and unit was mostly stable. Sweeping coil.... and EMI interference ensued. Hmmmmm....... let's dig some of these so-called "chatters". Resultant: About every 2" or 3"..... I was finding #2 lead shot from a shotgun.... at a depth of approx 1.5". I quit recovering them once I had about a dozen in my hand. The small spot of land that I recovered/removed these small BB's.... suddenly had no 'electrical chatter' in this one localized location of coil-sweep. Exterior of this sans spot,,,,, the electrical chatter resumed. I knew I was 'overdriving' the F-75.... and decided to drop the Sens to a setting of '70'..... and the perceived electrical chatter (the BB-shot).... as coil was being swept.... suddenly vanished. I had desensitized the detector enough to no longer detect these small targets,,,, and the unit became stable again. Masking was still taking place though. It hurts me to drop Sens to lower levels; however, I could ascertain a more stable/intelligible unit and could then somewhat "hunt". (Targets beneath these BB's are going to be partially or completely "masked"winking smiley.

Another known engineering fact is that a single freq unit has the ability to handle Fe better than multi-freq units. Both types of units are still blinded (masked & silent masked) by iron,,,,, but the single freq units can ID iron with better accuracy, less falsing.... and a hair-splitting Disc setting is more ascertainable with a single freq unit.

Also I have my own way to hunt in massive iron and trash, an insane way I call my Blast Through settings.
took awhile to learn to do this but now it is second nature and my go-to settings for hunting in heavy iron or just hunting in any site around here where I live because everywhere I go I have so much iron.
I learned to do this at an old farmhouse site that was absolutely infested with massive iron.
Nobody could make any headway here and left after one hunt never to return.
Neither could I, at first, but I was just to stubborn to leave so I continued to hunt learning, and using my all metal, maxed out everything else settings until I finally unlocked the mysteries of that very challenging site.
To this day learning to hunt in iron using either the low disc monotone or my Blast Through settings have been the most helpful skills I have acquired since I entered this hobby.

Early morning, a good cup of coffee, Revier on the pulpit with another sermon........ life is good! I just hope there is no test at the end!!! Lol. Now I have to go back out to that old farm lot where jkline plucked the WLH and see if I can find her sister.

Can anyone tell me what the ‘disc 6’ equivalent is in the T2? I think it’s 21. I’d like to revisit that technique at a couple sites. I think it was disc 14 on the omega.
The OP question about FA... I would use 2+, 0 disc, high sens as possible with no FA available. It’s still got nothing on FA at 99 sens with 11x7 coil. That’s just a good setup for dense iron in an old site.

Went back out to the old farm house lot this morning with jkline. Played with settings as per Revier and took a bit to get used to the new sounds. No coins found but Jeff did get a 1930s tax token and a metal tag used to identify a pigs owner (goes in the ear like a rivet). I have found a couple there earlier. One signal was right at the zinc/dime break, ended up being an older rifle casing which I think says 35 SAV (maker is REM-UMC so that goes back aways!

Thanks everyone, in particular Revier for the incredible information contained in your extensive post. I will be reading that over and over and looking forward to trying these methods out. I imagine the shrew coil that I’m getting with the T2 I just bought will also help by reducing the number of targets under the coil at any one time and getting into the tightest spaces.

Can anyone tell me what the ‘disc 6’ equivalent is in the T2? I think it’s 21. I’d like to revisit that technique at a couple sites. I think it was disc 14 on the omega.
The OP question about FA... I would use 2+, 0 disc, high sens as possible with no FA available. It’s still got nothing on FA at 99 sens with 11x7 coil. That’s just a good setup for dense iron in an old site.

You may be correct about that 21 setting but don't quote me.
I think Tom mentioned th is, somewhere, but as of now I can't find it.
For me I rarely use 6 on my F70, under 6 and over 19 you get a sort of boost because of the programming and a slightly different way the F70/Patriot and F75 utilizes disc and this might be true on the T2, also, but at different numbers.
Most times 1-4 seems to be optimum for me so I assume if 21 on the T2 is that number anything below that would be similar to my 1-5.

Good information above so I'll just add a couple of my comments related to my two favorite Teknetics models, the T2 Seriesseries and Omega 8000.

I started using the T2 back in 2006, and I've owned and used most of the versions with my favorite being the T2 +. My primary use for this model is to handle densely littered sites, especially iron nails and other ferrous debris.

The T2 is by far the better unit for this while the Omega 8000 made the better City type coin hunting detector.

On all of my detectors, and as I have done going back to the late sixties, I run my sensitivity at maximum and reduce it only as required to deal with EMI. Most often I am running what does sensitivity of 99.

There are sometimes when I drop the Discrimination down to hear all ferrous and non-ferrous targets, but that's just on a rare occasion. I prefer to keep my T2 discrimination set at '10' which is well below iron nail rejection which occurs at about '21'.

I prefer the 5" Double-D coil and and rely on it almost exclusively on this unit. Then, with a full sensitivity setting and discrimination at 10, I prefer the two tone audio and I don't get carried away with the sweep speed. I make side to side sweeps anywhere from 24 to 36 inches long, I overlap well, and I take my time working in areas slowly and methodically. I found T2's to work quite well.

The Omega 8000 is also a very good detector but not really good, even with a 5" Double-D coil, in heavy iron contamination. But just for reference, the Omega 8000 will knock out most iron nails with a discrimination setting of 16 or 17 compared with 21 on the T2.

Monte

Thanks everyone, in particular Revier for the incredible information contained in your extensive post. I will be reading that over and over and looking forward to trying these methods out. I imagine the shrew coil that I’m getting with the T2 I just bought will also help by reducing the number of targets under the coil at any one time and getting into the tightest spaces.

Anytime, just stuff I have read many times over the years and slowly absorbed, tried and saw that it works.
Also always remember detectors on this platform up-average most targets when in the vicinity of iron...both large iron and small.
I have dug gold rings that in the ground near iron that were at beaver tail tab numbers but dropped 10 numbers down to a more normal level when tested away from that iron.
Coins also can soar higher near iron, in my soil just the existing iron in my red clay soil will cause this and the deeper they are the higher they can soar.
I have found nickels at dime or quarter numbers many times, other coins much higher than normal, too.
Just be aware, hate to think you might miss a trime, an old nickel or who knows what else because they showed up as trash or in the wrong sections or at unfamiliar numbers.
If it's deep and somewhat stable and solid especially in a relatively small range of number blocks dig it...no matter where they are because you never know.
Better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited:
Well , I have my T2 set up the way I want it- lightweight on ear (vs over ear) headphones with coiled cord, Mars 6” x 10” sniper coil, and ability to quickly separate the shaft at the mid point so it fits in a backpack. Also, added a on-off switch guard ( as I had on the f75 I had) so it isn’t turned on while packing up. I’m amazed that there is zero EMI at the sites I tend to hunt-even at 99 Sens.
( except if I get the pinpointer too close when using it) looking forward to trying the things suggested in this thread.