Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Factory reset

ldhrelics

I just bought a used V3i, and I was wondering if there is a way to do a complete factory reset. I understand how to restore the programs, but I would like to make sure I'm starting with a clean slate. Is it possible?

There is a way but White's no longer endorses the master reset, instead, restore each program.

Hey Larry: Jack from Penna.When you note factory reset is not endorsed by Whites what does that imply.I've done numerous rsets as I try to figure out this V3i.I've reset 3or 4 times and have read on this forum,as well as the op. man. that this is a method to learn the capabilities of the m/d.Any info would be helpful as my progress has been slow (clad only at minimal depth).Any thoughts would be helpful.................Thanks Jack from Pa.

It implies that White's no longer wants consumers to use it, I'm sure they have good reason.

Jack you said,

have read on this forum,as well as the op. man. that this is a method to learn the capabilities of the m/d.

You won't find it on the forum. Where is it mentioned in the operating manual? It can't be used with a V3 and can cause a V3 to need to be sent back to the factory. It caused more trouble than it was worth and as far as I know was never mentioned anywhere by Whites. If you can find them doing so show me and I will be corrected. It was actually started by some one not working at Whites.

I think Jack is referring to RESTORE - b/c master reset isn't in the manual and the info isn't available anymore. Just a guess - sounds like the beginnings of a miscommunication. Tryin to help.

Jack from pa. Thanks guys for the heads up on factory reset on my V3i.I checked my source and it was a thread from an official forum of
"Whites Metal Detector Users".The thread does make a point of noting that it does not apply to the V3,which could lead to calibration problems.
The title of the thread was V3i users read this........It directed you through a series of screens to factory reset,and boasted a serious reduction of a noisy,jumpy VDI situation.
Sorry for implicating this fine forum(my main source of info) as I learn this m/d,and you are correct the restore program in the op.man.does indeed differ from the aforementioned thread.
Will attempt to be clearer with my comments here...........Jack from Pa.

Jack as you can check it was removed there also.

You are correct - White's did not release the Master Reset Procedure. I believe there were some other issues/complications that arose from users that did not properly reset their unit. So, to err on the side of caution, it is recommended that the owner send their unit in to have it reset and properly tested at the Factory/Authorized Repair Center.

Andrea

a bunch of crap! why not allow a user to go back to the original library a a clean slate?

On the same screen is the calibration settings which can only be done at the factory or a qualified tech with the proper equipment. People believed this procedure was a trouble solver which it was not. One mistake and accidentally messing with the calibration meant a trip back to the factory. Enough people made the mistake. Their reason was not crap, and they never did release the reset to the public, it was started by a past moderator on their forum.

[size=large]You want to do it GoVidGo, just call and they will tell you how to do it.[/size]

It really is not a bunch of crap - I work at one of ten White's Distribution Centers, and we are the only one, other than the Service centers, with the equipment and authorization to recalibrate VX3's, V3's or V3i's.
And as was mentioned in previous posts, you can go back to the original library programs by simply restoring each factory preset program from the library.

I called Whites in Oregon when my new V3i replacement went haywire the very first day and and was quickly instructed over the phone in how to do a master reset. Fixed mine. Call, it can't hurt. martin

you can get back to the stock programs....

you reset... and you could screw up the calibrations....

Only if you accidently change them. Done correctly NO it will not screw up the calibration.

OK... I actually wanted to get rid of some junk programs I made.... PLUS get back the ones... the stock ones, I had and a few I guess I deleted at some point.

Idhrelics.... you can get back to basically the 'beginning' without some big REBOOT....

it took a little time and reference to the manual, but I basically DELETED.... RESTORED... and STARTED NEW programs, and you just need to know the 'procedure' to add and delete stuff, and it's easy.

I did a few... "OOOH THAT'S HOW YOU GET IT BACK!" and "OHHH THAT'S HOW YOU WIPE THESE OFF THERE!" and "OOH THIS IS HOW I BRING THOSE PROGRAMS BACK OVER!"

email me if you read this and can't figure it out. I'll walk you through it.

They can walk you through the reset process in 5 minutes or less.

[size=x-large]NO[/size], do not touch calibration! EVER, NEVER !!!!