Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

FE vs FE2 Iron Bias Settings

Terry2113

Can someone explain the difference between FE and FE2 iron bias? Even after reading summaries on the internet, I'm not sure of the difference. What are the pros/cons of using FE2 over FE. Thanks for your help

I'll give it a shot.... F2 was introduced to be more aggressive at eliminating the old crown caps.
Setting to 6 will just about knock them all out.
Beach hunters were experiencing bottle caps sounding and giving TIDs of a quarter.
However there is a tradeoff.. more iron masking and probably less depth.
Now if it is lowered to 0 or even 2, it will provide less iron bias that the lowest setting of FE.
This will give more depth and less iron masking than FE at 0.
From what have read, it is good to start at 2 or slightly higher when first using it to understand what the detector is trying to tell you then after getting comfortable with it,
Lowering down will give better performance.
In a nutshell, it is supposed to have the ability to find targets in higher iron invested sites with lower settings while helping to deal with rusty bottle caps at higher settings.
The tradeoff is less depth and more iron masking at higher settings than FE and more iron sounding good (until you get used to it) with lower settings.
Hope this is accurate.. if not, hopefully someone else will hopefully chime it.

I'm going to add to Fwcrawford's post about the section I placed in bold in his post.

FE'0' = F2 '4'
F2 '3' = FE -1/4
F2 '2' = FE -1/2
F2 '1' = FE -3/4
F2 '0' = FE -1
Yes, these are negative values IF you use less than F2 level 4. As fwcrawford mentioned, this provides less Iron Bias then what was originally offered and may help with unmasking more non-ferrous mixed in with ferrous.

I'll give it a shot.... F2 was introduced to be more aggressive at eliminating the old crown caps.
Setting to 6 will just about knock them all out.
Beach hunters were experiencing bottle caps sounding and giving TIDs of a quarter.
However there is a tradeoff.. more iron masking and probably less depth.
Now if it is lowered to 0 or even 2, it will provide less iron bias that the lowest setting of FE.
This will give more depth and less iron masking than FE at 0.
From what have read, it is good to start at 2 or slightly higher when first using it to understand what the detector is trying to tell you then after getting comfortable with it,
Lowering down will give better performance.
In a nutshell, it is supposed to have the ability to find targets in higher iron invested sites with lower settings while helping to deal with rusty bottle caps at higher settings.
The tradeoff is less depth and more iron masking at higher settings than FE and more iron sounding good (until you get used to it) with lower settings.
Hope this is accurate.. if not, hopefully someone else will hopefully chime it.

Is the iron bias range settings the same between the 600 and 800? If not, why? I always understood that both the 800 and the 600 units used the fundamental frequencies

No. The 600 offers fewer adjustment increments
Is the iron bias range settings the same between the 600 and 800? If not, why? I always understood that both the 800 and the 600 units used the fundamental frequencies

Last edited:
No. The 600 offers fewer adjustment increments

Why, with ferrous and non-ferrous discrimination? What parameter is it that causes a range setting difference? The 800 has added frequencies for gold programs, but the basic frequencies used are the same. Seriously, what is the reason?

"Seriously, what is the reason? "
So Minelab could justify charging more money for more features. You don't get all the Lexus features on a Tercel. Want more? Pay more. It's the motto of the day. Well its always been the motto of business. Don't get Iron Bias confused with Discrimination, and it doesn't really have anything to do with the number of frequencies.

F2 has a broader range of adjustment. More Bias on the higher end and less on the lower end than FE. F2 should cover all the bases. You just need to decide where you want to set it depending on preferred targets and the site you're hunting.

exactly

From the manual,
You can set both but which one your in before exiting setting to detect is the one the machine uses.
Also, the manual states it is only used in Multi.
Tony

I can answer for both myself and fwcrawford. We both utilize F2 - 0

What iron bias do you both use?
Earthly potluck and fwcrawford
Thanks Tony

I can answer for both myself and fwcrawford. We both utilize F2 - 0
Thank you.
So that means you like hearing all of the iron grunts.
I believe I tried that at first but didn’t give it a chance.
I’ll goback and see what comes up.
Tony

Sorry if this gets double posted. Are you guys who are running F2 of 0, coin shooters or relic hunters? I just coin shoot. Thanks