Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

FE12 and Ferrous Tones

On the new CTX 3030, do all desirable coins hit along the FE12 line like is the case with the E-Trac, or does this new machine make use of the entire screen the way that the Explorer series does? Also, are ferrous tones able to be used with multi variability? This is the other issue that I disliked on the E-Trac coming from being a longtime Explorer user. To be fair, I only used the E-Trac very few times and did not learn the machine at all, but was initially turned off by these issues, especially the fact that you have an entire screen to layout targets on and Minelab chose to handcuff the user by making everything fall on one single line. Any and all information and comments are appreciated.

You prefer the way the E-Trac displays over the Explorer series Digga03? That was the one thing that I never could figure out...why they have all that real estate on the large screen and chose to handcuff the user by displaying all desirable coins on one line. Why not give the user the maximum amount of information and feedback by utilizing the entire screen?

guess its just what we get used too as numbers move out from the 12 line they have less chance of being good targets and past about 26-8 its more than likely trash but i do understand the explorer can be more accurate in some cases , just think the etrac is simpler to use but thats just for me give me an explorer i am lost with the wavy curve.

Elevatorguy said:
On the new CTX 3030, do all desirable coins hit along the FE12 line like is the case with the E-Trac, or does this new machine make use of the entire screen the way that the Explorer series does? Also, are ferrous tones able to be used with multi variability? This is the other issue that I disliked on the E-Trac coming from being a longtime Explorer user. To be fair, I only used the E-Trac very few times and did not learn the machine at all, but was initially turned off by these issues, especially the fact that you have an entire screen to layout targets on and Minelab chose to handcuff the user by making everything fall on one single line. Any and all information and comments are appreciated.
Elevator can you explain me FE 12 line is? and why is so different from Explorers? This part for me is Mystique... But maybe because I never look at numbers and dont use discrimination, I dont see big different from Explorers, maybe some. Can you enlighten me? Thanks

You can open the entire screen with the push of a button. Add or remove any discrimination you choose. I don't understand how anyone is handcuffed. Maybe I just misunderstood you post. HH :minelab:

Elevatorguy said:
Why not give the user the maximum amount of information and feedback by utilizing the entire screen?

That's exactly what they do!

Yes, you can open the entire screen, but all desirable coins on the E-Trac will still hit on only the FE12 line as well as some trash hitting on that line. With the Explorer series, the entire SmartFind screen was used. I could tell the difference between a clad dime and a silver dime, even as far as noting the difference between a normal silver dime and a very well worn silver dime by where the crosshairs sat on my screen. By handcuffed I mean that by having all good coin targets hit on one line, you lose the ability to maximize the amount the information given to the user, which is what we all want.

Elevatorguy said:
Yes, you can open the entire screen, but all desirable coins on the E-Trac will still hit on only the FE12 line as well as some trash hitting on that line. With the Explorer series, the entire SmartFind screen was used. I could tell the difference between a clad dime and a silver dime, even as far as noting the difference between a normal silver dime and a very well worn silver dime by where the crosshairs sat on my screen. By handcuffed I mean that by having all good coin targets hit on one line, you lose the ability to maximize the amount the information given to the user, which is what we all want.

You've got it wrong. The Explorer doesn't have items across the entire screen, it followed a pattern. Minelab just flattened that pattern onto a horizontal line to make it easier to identify good targets. Having desireable targets along a single does NOT reduce the amount of information. The FE variations are still there. You really should read some information about the E-Trac, I recommend the Andy Sabich book. It explains everything that you are making guesses and accusations about.

Explorer VS E-Trac on the FE target line.

E-Trac is like taking the elevator by going in a straight line. (so to speak)
Explorer is like taking the stairs up and over up and over up and over.

JUST SOME HUMOR :heh:

On the Etrac everything don't fall exactly on a straight 12 ferrous middle line at all that is in a perfect environment like in the air that that happens. Like stated they just took the old S shape and made it straighter and horizontal instead. Most things in the ground will be off on the ferrous number and not read 12-46 like a quarter in the air would instead it may read 17-46 or 10-46 or whatever and the cursor will also show that on the screen and that is why the coins discrimination pattern is opened like in a corridor passageway horizontally. The cursor is still there to use and so is the digital reading numbers but they are on one screen. It's the conductive sounds that we hear that most hunt by, the numbers don't matter 100% they just help for a final dig no dig decision with several other things thrown in on the Etrac. Don't know why so many get hung up on that 12 ferrous thing, that line thing which don't really mean much???? What if a penny was top left and a dime bottom middle and a quarter top right and a nickle somewhere in the middle of the screen woudn't that be fun????

Elevatorguy said:
Yes, you can open the entire screen, but all desirable coins on the E-Trac will still hit on only the FE12 line as well as some trash hitting on that line. With the Explorer series, the entire SmartFind screen was used. I could tell the difference between a clad dime and a silver dime, even as far as noting the difference between a normal silver dime and a very well worn silver dime by where the cross hairs sat on my screen. By handcuffed I mean that by having all good coin targets hit on one line, you lose the ability to maximize the amount the information given to the user, which is what we all want.

Having owned several Explorers and setup a friend's Etrac who doesn't like to do that much reading and research on the forums (while I enjoy the heck out it), along with using his machine in the field here and there...I'd have to agree with what you said. I don't care for the way the VDI is set up on the Etrac as much as I like how it is on the Explorers. As you said, based on the cross hair response I seem to be able to get much more fine detail out of the Explorer's VDI.

I guess that's one of the reasons why there are fanatical SE Pro users and there are fanatical Etrac users, combined with a few other differences in the two machines that draw people to one of those two camps. I'm just glad Minelab didn't replace the Explorer with the Etrac, as that gives everybody a choice as to just what machine suits them best. There are of course other valid reasons why some prefer the Etrac to the SE Pro as well, and vise versa, so it's everybody's choice as to what they like best in both machines.

I've got a question for you guys who have used both machines...Is it just me or is the ferrous reading on the Explorer much more reliable and consistent? Even on coins at shallow depths with no masking the ferrous reading seems to vary wildly on the Etrac while it seems much more stable and useful to note on the Explorer. I know the Etrac is said to have more reliable conductive values at extreme depth than the Explorer, but on the other hand many prefer the Explorer's audio at depth over the Etrac...So it appears to be a trade off one way or the other depending on which ability you want at extreme depth (slightly better audio or VDI).

the audio is very similiar between the explorers and etracs and the etracs can be set up to sound identical if you desire that.

I dont find the iron ferrous ID to vary wildly on my etrac, but Ive got some time in on it and know how to operate it well. I find the etrac more stable and the quicker reset(contrary to what you post) really helps it with co located targets. the auto sens is a thing of beauty. minelab really did a nice job with this detector.