Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ferrite ring clip.

KREQ600

Went detecting over the weekend with my Equinox 600 in a field that has a major electric power transmission line running right down the middle of it and therefore, has lots of EMI issues. Normally, I am constantly having to noise cancel or go to single frequencies to try and alleviate as much of the EMI as possible when I am getting close to these lines. So, I tried putting on a ferrite ring cable clip to see if it would help. I attached it to the coil cable just below the control head. I did a noise cancel when entering the field as always but never performed another one. I had read somewhere, that it might or seem to help with EMI. Well, today it did help tremendously....or so it seemed!!!
I had never been able to search this field in it's entirety due to the EMI around the power lines. Today I could!! I am going to assume that the ferrite ring clip helped. I predominately kept the Equinox in multi and only had just a bare minimum amount of chatter, which I alleviated by reducing sensitivity just a bit...from 20 to 18...until I got clear of the power lines. Normally, this would not have helped at all. I did experiment by using single frequencies of 10 and 15 kHz, which helped some in the past and today, did seem to attenuate the EMI with the clip attached. Anyway, as far as I can tell, the ferrite ring clip helped a bunch!! Anyone else tried this or had any success using one?

Did you dig any targets that indicate the detectors performance was not compromised?

JCT TX: No, It did not seem compromise the performance at all. I used the same settings that I normally use and found items that rang up the same ID numbers and tones as normal. So, I can only deduce that the ferrite clip helped in some way to reduce the EMI that normally would have plagued me on this field. I am going to try it on another field with power transmission lines and see if it helps there as well.

Went detecting over the weekend with my Equinox 600 in a field that has a major electric power transmission line running right down the middle of it and therefore, has lots of EMI issues. Normally, I am constantly having to noise cancel or go to single frequencies to try and alleviate as much of the EMI as possible when I am getting close to these lines. So, I tried putting on a ferrite ring cable clip to see if it would help. I attached it to the coil cable just below the control head. I did a noise cancel when entering the field as always but never performed another one. I had read somewhere, that it might or seem to help with EMI. Well, today it did help tremendously....or so it seemed!!!
I had never been able to search this field in it's entirety due to the EMI around the power lines. Today I could!! I am going to assume that the ferrite ring clip helped. I predominately kept the Equinox in multi and only had just a bare minimum amount of chatter, which I alleviated by reducing sensitivity just a bit...from 20 to 18...until I got clear of the power lines. Normally, this would not have helped at all. I did experiment by using single frequencies of 10 and 15 kHz, which helped some in the past and today, did seem to attenuate the EMI with the clip attached. Anyway, as far as I can tell, the ferrite ring clip helped a bunch!! Anyone else tried this or had any success using one?
Kreq600, I had one of those on my EXP II a friend gave me, he loved it so I just went with it.
Did you get yours online and what brand was it?
They are inexpensive so it’s worth a try.
Thanks, Tony

Big Tony:
Did not get mine online. It was on a power cord that I had that was just laying around. Just out of curiosity, I unclipped it from the power cord and attached it my Equinox coil wire. I think it was in another forum somewhere that I read where some folks had tried this as well as wrapping foil and or electronic shielding tape around the control head to filter out EMI. It got mixed results as to the effectiveness of doing these things. But it did not cost me anything to try it and it did seem to help!! But will keep testing!!!

Big Tony:
Did not get mine online. It was on a power cord that I had that was just laying around. Just out of curiosity, I unclipped it from the power cord and attached it my Equinox coil wire. I think it was in another forum somewhere that I read where some folks had tried this as well as wrapping foil and or electronic shielding tape around the control head to filter out EMI. It got mixed results as to the effectiveness of doing these things. But it did not cost me anything to try it and it did seem to help!! But will keep testing!!!
Thanks.
I had two years back and attached them right on top of the coil.
If I find them I'll try under the control box as you have and see what happens next time I am out.

Tony

Big Tony:
If you notice where the ferrite ring coils are attached to computer, printers or other devices, they are always attached near the device not further away. This is I assume, to prevent as much EMI from other electronic devices nearby, to get into and affect the device. So, that is why I attached mine near the control head. Maybe someone on this forum with more electronic knowledge than I, can comment further on the use of a ferrite ring coil on electronic devices and if the use of one on our metal detectors will indeed offer some degree of protection from EMI sources.

Guess it would make sense for it to be attached towards the coil,
be interesting to hear from more knowledgeable people 👍🏻

I suppose it would hinder using the pinpoint mode though.

The ferrite core should be placed as close to the connector and close to the control box. What it does is eliminate the parasitic signals and / or EMI