Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Few Cold Weather Finds: Gold/Silver/Masonic Fob

thanks Mark. I bet you use the D2 alot also. That is quite a machine. I will probably have to get a 2nd machine with that bigger 13x11 coil.
I know the 9-inch packs quite a punch for its size also as I just have the 11.
Nice job on the half dollar. That is one coin that never gets old seeing come out of the hole.
Dave
Real nice finds Dave getting cold in your neck of the woods? here I switch to beach detecting when the ground gets frozen.

Mark

thanks Mark. I bet you use the D2 alot also. That is quite a machine. I will probably have to get a 2nd machine with that bigger 13x11 coil.
I know the 9-inch packs quite a punch for its size also as I just have the 11.
Nice job on the half dollar. That is one coin that never gets old seeing come out of the hole.
Dave
Thanks yeah that was my first half with the D2 on the roadside around a old pond I had the 11"
coil but sold it prefer the 9" and have the 11" on my core.
Mark

You never fail to amaze us with your finds. Is it luck or is it talent? Karma? I dont know but you should start a tutoring class and count me in as a first to sign up!

Ronstar, here is my short answer :)
Alot of pre-hunt research, attention to detail on determining what sites could still hold some deep targets, the willingness to get up early on weekends, walking and driving a lot to those sites, pre-planning out my site route to make the most of the day,
Learning my machine well and figuring out what settings work the best at my sites to get the most out of it,
Having faith in my detector and instincts, a ton of patience; to not give up right away at a site that appears to not have anything, even though my research is telling me there could be something old and deep there.
I always have it in the back of my head, even if I don't find anything here, I am still getting exercise.
Also, a love of the hobby to be willing to do all this. Since I started detecting over 20 years ago, I have knowledge of hundreds of public sites that I have hit in the past and have an idea if there could possibly more targets left at them.
Since I have saw so many public sites in different stages of 'number of remaining targets', that helps me gauge pretty well if I have a shot at finding more at a certain spot.

Dave
You never fail to amaze us with your finds. Is it luck or is it talent? Karma? I dont know but you should start a tutoring class and count me in as a first to sign up!

Dave, I would still enroll in a class.

I research as well but have a tendency to research what I find and then determine if worth going back. Im lucky here in that the local historical society has a lot of info and old photos and stories. The university has even more info in their collections. Its more fun in my mind to locate, research the object, and then try and figure out how it got to where I found it. Thats me and not everyone else. The gold pendant I found with the date “87” may now actually be 1887 rather than 1987. There were a couple of houses and barn/shops in that general area in the early 1900s and I may not have found this out without researching my find, same results but different attack.
Im with you, exercise and really coffee will motivate me early and far!!

Nice way to wrap up the year Dave. Great finds as always! Curious about what looks like an encased cent. Were you able to read details? Also, being aluminum with a copper center, how'd it ring up?

thanks Mike. Maybe there will be a warmup for a little more hunting this year further south. I just took a closer look at the object you referenced and brass brushed it hard. It is actually a crusted token
as it shows Good For xx in Trade around the outside. I pulled it about 100 miles south of Canada, so I initially thought it was some sort of Canadian modern coin, but I remember it being
at least 6 inches deep so it must have some age to it. It rang up like an older wheat penny or Indian because it is so toasted. I believe it rang up about 85-86 on the Deus 2 which is about 12-37 to 12-38 on an Etrac.
Dave
Nice way to wrap up the year Dave. Great finds as always! Curious about what looks like an encased cent. Were you able to read details? Also, being aluminum with a copper center, how'd it ring up?

Mike, one additional note with that token I forgot to mention is that the center is quite a bit smaller than a penny so it is something else. I think I can see a head on that, but it may be my eyes playing tricks on me.
Dave
thanks Mike. Maybe there will be a warmup for a little more hunting this year further south. I just took a closer look at the object you referenced and brass brushed it hard. It is actually a crusted token
as it shows Good For xx in Trade around the outside. I pulled it about 100 miles south of Canada, so I initially thought it was some sort of Canadian modern coin, but I remember it being
at least 6 inches deep so it must have some age to it. It rang up like an older wheat penny or Indian because it is so toasted. I believe it rang up about 85-86 on the Deus 2 which is about 12-37 to 12-38 on an Etrac.
Dave

Mike, one additional note with that token I forgot to mention is that the center is quite a bit smaller than a penny so it is something else. I think I can see a head on that, but it may be my eyes playing tricks on me.
Dave
The "bi-metalic" trade tokens and encased cents don't come out of the ground often. When they do, they're often missing the center element. Another great find Dave!