Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Finally got to get out with the Nox 800

Rick(ND)

I have had it for over a month and finally it quite snowing and some ground thawed and had time to take it out for its first hunt and wondered if reading and rereading the book if I was ready, but found out when I got out and forgot how the ground balance so run it anyway.
I had did some settings before by seeing what others were recommending to start at instead of factory setting. The sensitivity was at 20 and I had turned up the disc to 11 and notched out everything up to 18 as it was my first time out with it. I ran 5 tones and the Iron bias was 5 and the recovery was 5 also. It sure did run smooth and the first signal was a 13 and did see 12 couple of time, but mostly 13 and was thinking a nickle possibly and pinpointed it and being so loud I figured it was on top of the ground and used my Uni-probe as it has depth, but no signal so I checked the signal again in disc before I dug to make sure of it. I dug a 7 inch plug and it wasn't in there and thought maybe it is trash further down so went in with the Uni-probe and seen it was deeper, but a good signal and dug more dirt and got it out of the hole and went over the dirt and finally seen it as it did look like a nickle, but was surprised it was a 1908 V nickle. Then the next signals I got is what was left of a old mechanical lead pencil that is broke, but still had lead in it and still writes. most of my signals were in the 11-14 range and they turned out to be square pull tabs, pieces of some alum cans and even some alum foil in a ball, but only 1 other one seem to be a 13 and went to 14 one time and it was the ball of alum foil.
Now one of the problem I had and still wonder what is going on is when I went to pinpoint a couple of times I couldn't hear the signal as it was super quiet with some of the targets were only 3-4 inches deep. I know I moved the coil away and even held it in the air and put it in pinpoint and took it out and did it again but it seem like if it is deeper target it didn't sound weak. Thought maybe it has to do with my iron bias set at 5.
I was only able to detect for maybe 45 minutes before my body wore out, used to go out for 8 hours straight in some hot weather before.
Signals in most cases were deep that is good and they were easy to hear, some good one way, but when going around it to see if it moved or not most changed tone and broke up a bit. If those would have been weak deeper sounding signals I may I dug them. Ran real nice and was happy for my first hunt and only hope it gets better. The area I was in is beside a school gym that was built in 1958 and before it was built it was the ball field for the old school that was built in 1912 or so. This school has been hit hard by me with my different Minelab with the Sovereign getting the most finds, but that was 18 years ago and the only thing I have found there in the last 8 years other than new coins is a old token with my CTX 3030 3 years ago.
I had some problems with my body though as I had a tough time getting up and down as it happened last year at our club hunt too as when I went to my knees I would tip over and fall face first get up and do it again and when I stood up I fell over and to day after 30 minutes I was doing it again. Tried to post pictures, but cant do it unil I find a program to make them fit on the forums.

Rick

Thanks for the report Rick.----Hang in there, hope things get better with your body.----It's getting harder & harder for me to get down & up on target retrieval to.----Comes with age I guess.----------Del

Rick,

That is a nice 45 minute maiden voyage with the 800! I'll would be very happy to unearth a 1908 V nickel first time out :thumbup:
For resizing I use Microsoft Paint. Open the picture up in the program and click on the resize button. Since my pictures come out enormous, I scale them back to 30%. That usually puts them in the parameters of 480KB or less for uploading.

Thanks for the report Rick! Nice score on the V where finds had been scarce in recent years. As our bodies age stuff happens...be sure to get completely checked regarding your tipping over issues. So often we detectorists go out alone to hunt and and your condition is very concerning.

Rick--I am 78 years old and the last 2-3 years I have had trouble getting myself up off the ground after digging a target with my Lesche digger as well (I refuse to use a shovel as so many lazy detectorists do these days). To make it easier for me to get up, I carry a Leki trekking pole in my left hand and have reduced its length to only 27-29 inches. When my detector signals a target worth digging, I throw the trekking pole on the ground to the left of the target's pinpointed sight. When I'm ready to get up, I simply grab the trekking pole and use it to help push myself back up. Works great! From now on, I wouldn't go detecting without it, because it is simply impossible for me to get back up from the ground without it.

We've had a bit of snow down here in southern Wisconsin, but the ground has been thawed for quite some time, grass is greening up. I really should be detecting hard before it grows too much.

Hope to see you this summer.

Chris

Going to have to try that as it sounds like a good deal if it help me. I am 70 years old and had 2 heart attacks back in 2014 with a triple bypass and then in 2016 had both my knees completely replaced at once and since then I notice I have a hard time getting up once I am down. My son made me a walking stick after my knees got replaced and haven't tried it yet, but sure will now.
I too feel shovels small or large is fine in farm fields or demo sites, but not in lawns, parks and ball fields and seeing and hearing to many places getting closed down because someone was using one.

Rick

Had a scare last august at our club hunt and had to be the silver hunt too as I tipped over forward twice one time backwards and when standing up I just fell to one side , got up and got sick, so they wouldn't let me finish the hunt and recommended I get checked out. Spent all nite in the ER and thought I had a stroke or heart problems again, but couldn't find anything and had me come back to the doctors all week and found nothing. Lost weight got dehydrated and 2 to 3 times a day had over 101 fever. Finally said it must be a virus and took 6 weeks to get rid of it. Now what happened on Friday gets me wondering again as it has been several years now where I can really get out to detect. Just hoping this year I can get out there and do what I love to do since 1973.

Rick

I am happy with the V nickle the first target with the Equinox and from a area it seems like a new coin or 2 shows once in a while, but know this is the first old coin for me in over 4 years in this area and only know of a guy that got a barber dime there 4 or 5 years ago.
I had the Dell Paint it software and it quite on my is why I have no optimizer right now and will check out the one you say works good.

Rick

As far as pinpoint goes it seems to be an anomaly with the Equinox. Turn pinpoint on a few inches from where you think the target is and if it is faint or almost silent turn it off and back on. It rarely happens to me anymore but I think it has more to do with how you start than anything.

I am 73 and go out everyday. I drop to my knees and kinda use my lesche as a support to get up. I never use a shovel unless I am in a field. I try really hard to stomp my plug or flap down so you can't tell I was even there. Sometimes I can tell but not often. I been hunting a park behind someone else and I can see every place he dug mostly because he took no care in replacing his digs.. He just dug and very erratic not a plug or a flap just a hole and very messy