Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Find of the year and it's only my 6th hunt!!!!!!

cwilk

OK. Not detecting much. Said that before. Not visiting here too often. Been there. I really fancied a treasure hunt today and planned a long one. It started out bad when I left the lunch I had packed on the roof of my car and somewhere between home and the gas station it fell off. I bought a sandwich and gas and headed out to planned site one. I never left!!! Now I know you're waiting to see the find of the year. Be patient, you won't be disappointed!

Automobiles are always nice but not the find of the year:

[attachment 233856 052612-1.JPG]

You guys may remember I love clad hunting. Could a load of clad be the find of the year? Nope. But.......

[attachment 233857 052612-2.JPG]

I dig old coins. Could an old Indian Head be the find of the year? Getting closer but NAH..........

[attachment 233858 052612-3.JPG]

(A note about the IH. It was the first find of the day and I had an entire little league team in tow much to the dismay of the coach. When it popped out of the ground all the looky lous were ready to go out and buy a Garrett, including the coach!)

Who doesn't like a little gold? I sure do. Still not the find of the year. 18K. 4.2 grams. Almost 200 bucks worth!!!!! Too bad it's broken. Might not have dropped off the girls wrist though. Read as foil. (You're digging all that foil, aren't you?)

[attachment 233860 052612-4.JPG]
[attachment 233861 052612-5.JPG]

OK. You have to read my reply to see the find of the year. It isn't a joke. It's good. You'll want to see it!

This was about the third or fourth thing I dug today. I sure didn't think I'd beat that 1865 IH penny that I found right off the bat. Look closely. It's a Draped Bust Large cent. When it came out of the ground I saw the date fairly clearly. 179 and then just a hint of the fourth digit. An 8 or a 9. Now I packed the coin back in dirt because I know how unkind air is to these things. It deteriorated a lot from the time I dug it to the time I photographed it. I think in sunlight I'll be able to get the date exactly. I'm about 95% that it's 1798. The 1799s are very rare anyway. So my oldest US coin to date and the find of the year!

[attachment 233862 052612-6.JPG][attachment 233864 052612-8.JPG][attachment 233865 052612-7.JPG]

So who made it this far?

Thanks for looking!!!

Chris

A hill near a baseball field. That hill is one of my best spots for old coins. It's near an old railroad depot that was once a private station for some millionaire. I think the whole town was once his front yard! Definitely occupied back to colonial times.

Chris

Some good finds.:thumbup:
Might get you motivated to get back in the hobby:clapping:

Great find buddy! The anticipation of your post was killing me... glad to see you are still hunting every so often.

Very nice! I could use with a day like that myself!

Maybe you should be hunting more?

I just looked at how long you've been a member? I recall you were 13 or 14 when you joined and hunting with your old man. Did you graduate this year? Are you off to college in the fall? Where does the time go? You will be asking that someday before you realize it! Glad you liked the post.

Chris

Well that was a nice thing to say!

Chris

I put it in a 2x2 where it will be until I die. My heirs can worry about it in 30 or 40 years! I did some photo manipulation and saw the 179 clearly again. Just the top of the last digit. Looks like an 8 to me.

Chris

It looks like you had a top day Cris! I'd love to find an Indianhead penny. A bit rarer in these parts.:ausflag::lol: Not imossible thiough as I have dug up a few zinc pennies. Don't you love being the Piped Piper (not). Just one of those slightly irritating upshots of the hobby.
It looks like you had a full coin band of dloud cover today. I hope that it keeps raining for you and that you don't go into drought, coin drought that is.:detecting:
Mick Evans.

I'm doing some other fun things. Trap shooting. I bought a new Browning with my MD loot! Some music stuff. Digging coins ain't good for my already terrible guitar playing! Then there is work which I could do without.

I need about 2500 coins to get to 50,000 lifetime. I used to do that in a month. I'd be happy to do it by December this year, I think. I'm sure I'll get the bug again.

Chris

I tried to get a friend to go with me yesterday. He was busy. I was happy to have lots of company throughout the day. Mostly kids who were all pretty nice. I was way out in the country. Fewer bad influences out there. Kids always have ideas for new sites too!

I've found Australian coins over here. Even some pre-decimal stuff. Coppers. I have been putiing together an Australian type set after finishing Britain late last year. Truthfully, I didn't finish Britain, but the coins before about George III are just too expensive.

Good hearing from you.

Chris

cwilk said:
I just looked at how long you've been a member? I recall you were 13 or 14 when you joined and hunting with your old man. Did you graduate this year? Are you off to college in the fall? Where does the time go? You will be asking that someday before you realize it! Glad you liked the post.

Chris

Yes, I was about 14 when I joined FM. :thumbup: I was a freshman in high school back then.My dad and I do not get out together as much as we used to. We haven't had a lot of time to hunt together since the beginning of 2010. As for school, I still have another 2 weeks of high school with finals this week. We are one of the last schools in the area to get out for the summer. I will be heading off to college this fall, but I will still be living at home, so I should still have some time to md, I hope.:)

Somebody finally made it! 10 points to you, Chuck.

Chris