Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

finding old maps online

depthcharge559

hi all. ive been looking for old maps of my area online, specifically for old country roads off the path. im having difficulty finding much of nything, here in north carolina, where paved roads werent put in until the late 1960s in a lot of places .. any clues as to how to proceed??? thanks in advance for the much needed advise. i will pray for you ....

depthcharge559, the best information I can give you is to google the old county atlas books online for your state and county. They will give you maps of all the old towns and cities in your particular county along with much information to locate many productive sites to hunt.
I use the old atlas books myself and have located 2 old picnic grounds that were in use in the early 1860's, along with several old schools and churches that are now just farmers fields. These sites are untapped and will produce some nice coins and artifacts.
Here is an example of how to search for these atlas books.....in my case I searched "1872 Morgan County Illinois Atlas" and it brings up a ton of info about my county and its past.

You can use google earth to overlay the old maps you find onto present day maps and this helps to pinpoint a site, even giving gps coordinates to get you right on the site you were searching for.
Something else you can do is go to www.davidrumsey.com and purchase a cd with maps from your area or get the comple state set. The single zone cd I bought covers 11 different surrounding counties of my area and show old churches, schools, race tracks, fair grounds etc.
The single zone cd's cost about 12.00 with shipping and are loaded with old maps. I think if you try this you will find what you are looking for............HH and good luck !

Roger

-- moved topic --

Very good advice, the local library will hold tons of info.

Historicmaps.com has a pretty good selection and I was able to overlay on googlemaps right on their page.

You might also try these sites

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/gmdhtml/gmdhome.html (this is the library of congress and has some David Ramsey collections on line)

http://www.historicaerials.com/aerials.php?code=404 ( on this website you can compare past and present maps side by side and also some past aerial photos if available. Also you can use their tools for measurement and obtaining lat/lon)

http://www.oldmapsonline.org