Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Finds from my last few hunts Silver Coins, Skeleton Key Spill, Relics and Gold Ring!

cz70pro

Just wanted to do a quick post and share the highlights of my latest finds from the past few hunts.

The Civil War bullets and related relics came from a HEAVILY hunted cavalry camp site. We started off hunting the site with our stock coils and found a couple of bullets. The site is not particularly loaded with iron but we thought we would try hunting it with our small coils any way. I was glad we did! As soon as my X-5 hit the ground I found two 3 ringers right next to each other and about 5 inches down. After that the finds just came on strong. Had a great hunt that weekend.

Another hunt occurred in a Victorian park that everyone knows about and has hunted for decades. No one hunts there much anymore as they say it is hunted out. I have had a lot of success there since I started hunting it with the E-Trac and this time I decided to use the X-5 and hunt the trashy areas near the tennis courts. It seems that most people had focused their hunting in the center areas of the park. The outer areas seemed to be relatively untouched. I got a very iffy signal about 6 inches down that had a lot of iron tone in it,. After digging down, I was surprised to see a pile of skeleton keys in the hole! There were four skeleton keys and four metal keys in the hole with a copper tag that stated the keys belonged to the Knoxville Banking Company and if found please drop in any mailbox. Seems to be from the 1920-30's. This was the first time I have ever found a skeleton key spill.

Heading behind the tennis courts, I began to dig every signal from 01 and up. I dug a lot of trash (actually a TON of trash) but I also dug a lot of keepers. As I continued on, I got a 12-11 signal right behind a bench that was just below the surface. Sank the digger and popped the plug and there just one inch down was the gleam of a 10K gold wedding band! My second gold ring this year. Two more than last year! haha

I also managed to choke some silver out of the park with a very deep 1918 Merc, 1936 Merc and a 1964 Rosie. Also found were 2 Buffaloes (1936 and one no date) and a 1905 IHP along with a couple hundred clad and pennies. I also dug yet another 3 Merry Widows condom tin. Heading out tomorrow morning to do some door knocking and sidewalk hunting. Good luck to you all with your hunting and hope you dig the big one.

Greg

very nice. im out of action due to a bad back looking forward to getting out ASAP. Happy Hunting

jarid said:
very nice. im out of action due to a bad back looking forward to getting out ASAP. Happy Hunting

Thanks much! Sorry to hear about your back. Hope you get back to hunting very soon.

Nice hunting! One of those keys sure looks like railroad to me.

Wow great assortment of good finds! Way to go on sniffing out those keepers in the “hunted out” sites. Is that a piece of a spur in the lower right corner of the group shot? Good luck and keep it up!

Sooper Dave said:
Wow great assortment of good finds! Way to go on sniffing out those keepers in the “hunted out” sites. Is that a piece of a spur in the lower right corner of the group shot? Good luck and keep it up!

Thanks Dave. That is a piece of spur that I found at the camp site. It is small and ornate and probably was a ladies or child's spur. The thing I can not figure out is that the rowel is horizontal instead of vertical. No one seems to know why.

Greg

That’s a cool find! I would like to see a close up of it if you could. It may be an officer’s spur if it has a lot of scroll looking design on it. Don’t know why the rowell would be turned that way either.

Sooper Dave said:
That’s a cool find! I would like to see a close up of it if you could. It may be an officer’s spur if it has a lot of scroll looking design on it. Don’t know why the rowell would be turned that way either.

Here are some pics. Not really any scroll work on it rather just some scalloping on the edge. Very small spur.

Tony N (Michigan) said:
You are really a great detectorist! Excellent finds!

Thanks for the kind words Tony. I really appreciate that.

We just got onto an amazing new permission Saturday with one person who owns eight houses, two empty lots and one 2 acre mowed meadow. None of it has been detected before. The houses are from the 1920's to 1940's but the land they sit on is next to a 1850's house and also lies on the exact path of a cavalry and artillery battle. We found 3 silver, 2 rings and some tokens already in just one yard during the first hunt. Can't wait to get back there this weekend!

Hey Greg,

You are on to a great bunch of sites. Your Patience has paid of with a great gold ring.
I can't wait to see how those other lots pan out.

Great finds

Rick

diggervance said:
Hey Greg,

You are on to a great bunch of sites. Your Patience has paid of with a great gold ring.
I can't wait to see how those other lots pan out.

Great finds

Rick

Thanks Rick! After getting a 1941 Washington quarter at 7 inches, I can't wait either. Will find out Sunday when we get out there. 64 degrees and sunny! We just had a lot of rain this week so the digging should be awesome.

Greg