Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Class Ring (to be returned to owner very soon)

Tenspeed

I finally found my first class ring (I had to be pointed at it though) and it will be going home very soon.

A couple of months ago someone at work was asking me what I had found recently when another coworker who used to be a neighbor of mine overheard the conversation. He asked if I could help find a class ring he had lost in his front yard, in our neighborhood, 15-16 years ago.

He went on to tell me that his father (now deceased) had given him the ring and he lost it when planting grass seed. He had replaced the ring, but would really like the one with sentimental value back. I told him I would be glad to look.

He had moved out of the house about 14 years ago, so I had to ask the current owner for permission. Well, it took me a month to ask the owner for permission and another month to finally hunt for the ring. The home is on a corner lot with about a half acre of front yard. He had told me it was in a ditch he had smoothed and was reseeding.

Saturday morning I was headed out to run errands (and hunt) and the neighborhood was really quiet, so I stopped to hunt. I was where I thought it was, but thank goodness a neighbor who had helped hunt for it when originally lost was out riding his grandson in a stroller. I was hunting the wrong ditch line and probably would have not found it!! He pointed out that it was the front, not the side as I had been told. There weren't many signals, but I had to run manual sensitivity on my ETrac because EMI drove auto down to 4, and I didn't want to miss the ring. Well my first pass got me a clad quarter, which told me I should see the ring if I got my coil over it. I got a pull tab on the third pass. My fifth pass, about 25 feet from the road, I got a nice 12-28 at about 3 inches that was repeatable, so I got really excited and hopeful. I dug a nice plug and surprise, out of the hole pops my first ever class ring!

The owner has an unlisted number, so I couldn't call him that morning. First thing tomorrow I will let him Know I have his ring and will get it returned to him. I hope he will let me hold onto it until I can put it on the finds board at our next club meeting our Club Meeting (I am treasurer for the South Carolina Metal Detector and Relic Association, we are almost 60 strong and average 45+ at every months meeting).

It feels so good to be able to return something to someone that they thought was gone forever, especially with such sentimental value attached!

Now if I can just get lucky enough to find one without being pointed at it!!!

great story...great find...and even greater deed on your part in getting it back to the owner.:thumbup:

Some good karma will be heading your way soon I'm sure.:beers:

Amazing how much you've recovered since you first got into the hobby . . . . . must have been your instructor :rofl:

Great to see the ring going home . . . . I've returned more than 30 over the past 45+ years and each one is special.

Good work!

Andy

I showed the owner the ring this morning and he was very surprised. He was in a meeting with all the machinist's where we both work and it was a very emotional moment for him.

He graciously allowed me to keep it until the 8th. I told him it would be well taken care of until it was permanently back in his possession.

This is what makes me feel so good about this hobby.

I was taught by the best and try to share what I was taught whenever I can to improve others find and recovery rates! Thanks Andy!

This is a wonderful hobby!

Andy Sabisch said:
Amazing how much you've recovered since you first got into the hobby . . . . . must have been your instructor :rofl:

Great to see the ring going home . . . . I've returned more than 30 over the past 45+ years and each one is special.

Good work!

Andy

Thanks Bryce! I hope all is well with you and your family. I haven't seen anything about your dad lately and hope he is still well.

My dad just turned 90 early this month and is still doing well. He just got back from a heart tune-up and my brother told me he appears to be feeling better than when I saw him for his 90th.

I hope you have a great year Bryce!

Bryce-IL said:
great story...great find...and even greater deed on your part in getting it back to the owner.:thumbup:

Some good karma will be heading your way soon I'm sure.:beers:

This is a great story. That ring is ancient....it does say "1845" doesn't it. Wow! Great pictures too! Thanks

NebTrac

Excellent story and great find! Very nice of you to take the time and look for it, It's awesome that you found it! Congrats!