Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First day out with the 600

dfmike

I was waiting for the Nokta simultaneous multi frequency to show up before winter sets in but since it seems to be a no-go, I decided to take a chance on the Equinox. A little background info: I have used many detectors through the years : Fisher F44, F5, F19, Teknetics 8000, G2+, Nokta Fors CoRe, Whites MX7 and Minelab X Terra 705. Of those, I still use the F19, Teknetics G2+ and Nokta. The other detectors in that list are long gone. The areas where I mainly detect are dense woods, schoolyards and parks with heavy trash of all kinds (ferrous and non ferrous debris). I occasionally do fresh water beach detection.

I installed a carbon shaft and the optional Minelab 6" DD coil on it and out I went. First impression is that the machine is very light with the carbon shaft and the little coil. It's possibly the lightest detector I have ever used. The weight is really well balanced overall but in all honesty, the build seems somewhat flimsy. I will have to treat it with delicacy I guess. I read Minelab's manual, set it to park one, 5 tones, recovery speed 3 and started detecting an area I had already pounded with my other detectors. The last time I was there, pickings started to be really slim (4 old pennies). It took awhile to get used to the new tones and different ID scheme but nevertheless, the initial results impressed me. In about 4 hours I uncovered 18 pennies ranging from 1932 to the 1960's. I hit two silver dimes from 1951 and 1953. The stainless ring was found on a beach I had gone to the day before just to get used to the tones, target ID and pin pointing.

Maybe it was just luck of the draw that I found so many good targets in a limited area I had pounded before. Time will tell. There are two things that set it apart from my other detectors in this area: Since old rusty bottle caps rule here, my other machines can have issues with their ID and tones making it rather difficult to differentiate them from silver or copper coins especially with a DD coil. With the Equinox there seems to be no confusion. Whether bottle caps are rusty or not, they ID lower than pennies and silver dimes which is a huge plus in an area such as this. That high tone on coins is a big help as well. It grabs ones attention quickly when most of what I hear is the tone where bottle caps fall (around 12-14). Long story short, first impression positive. I hope it will continue as I learn the machine and gain experience with it. I'm anxious to get back out there.

Attachments

• finds-oct-2021-001.jpg
    finds-oct-2021-001.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 113
  • finds-oct-2021-002.jpg
    finds-oct-2021-002.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 118
That’s a fantastic maiden voyage! Doesn’t seem like there was slim pickings today.

Is a nice maiden voyage. Good job! I also have most of the bottle caps figured out, but those darn crushed ones, particularly those with some depth, still get me. Good luck! HH jim tn

Nice first time out! I am new to the NOX as well and find it the same way. Great machine - not the greatest build. I have been hitting some good targets also, but for example, although light weight I am finding the stock shaft very flimsy. I came from the AT Pro and the cam locks tightened up the shaft well, on the Equinox I can feel movement.

Still, I am very satisfied. The technology combined with overall weight work for me.

dfmike,

try using Fe2 settings and increase them to where you get broken signals for crown tops, then you will hear the sweet sound of nickels at 12-13

What you experienced is not “luck of the draw” as you mentioned.
I also was impressed the first time I took my Equinox out.
Although I have not had as many other detectors as you, I am going back to sites I have hunted for years with other detectors and making great finds… in fact some sound so good, I can’t see how I (or others) missed them.
You are off to a great start with that detector!!!

Sounds like that 600 is going to work out just fine, I know I'd be happy with those finds.
Mike, is it starting to get cold up there in Canada yet?
Actually no. It's unusually warm. So much so that people have been wearing shorts and t-shirts for that past 2 weeks and that is super rare at this time of the year. We are still hitting the low 70's consistently ! The geese are flying south and the leaves are turning red and yellow and we all know what that means. Temperatures are expected to drop next Sunday.

Nice first time out! I am new to the NOX as well and find it the same way. Great machine - not the greatest build. I have been hitting some good targets also, but for example, although light weight I am finding the stock shaft very flimsy. I came from the AT Pro and the cam locks tightened up the shaft well, on the Equinox I can feel movement.

Still, I am very satisfied. The technology combined with overall weight work for me.
I never hunted with the stock shaft. I knew I wanted something really light to contrast with my Nokta Fors CoRe which I find heavy so I immediately got the Detect-ED carbon shaft with the reddish coloring. Looks great and easy to assemble.
Since you mention the AT Pro, I'll be very honest here and tell ya that there is a guy I know that hunts the same places and he's doing very well with his Garrett. I still like to think he's leaving stuff behind for me to pick up... ;)

Thanks guys. I'm anxious to get back to that area as soon as I can. I want to see what simultaneous multi frequency can do for me.

I never hunted with the stock shaft. I knew I wanted something really light to contrast with my Nokta Fors CoRe which I find heavy so I immediately got the Detect-ED carbon shaft with the reddish coloring. Looks great and easy to assemble.
Since you mention the AT Pro, I'll be very honest here and tell ya that there is a guy I know that hunts the same places and he's doing very well with his Garrett. I still like to think he's leaving stuff behind for me to pick up... ;)
The other detector probably is asThe AT Pro is very good
The other detector just may be as the AT Pro is very good, its just that I am finding the Nox better even right out of the box. If you do follow up the AT Pro post your results, I would like to hear them. Enjoy your Nox, just be gentle with it.