Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First day out with the new machine

JoeinMemphis

I went to an old home site (1849) I have been hitting for about 3 years now with an SE Pro. I was hoping to find my first coin from the site with the CTX 3030, but all I found is the usual junk I found with the Se Pro, but noticed the CTX 3030 was able to pick up non ferrous junk through all the iron junk that I had left in the ground with the SE Pro. I was hunting the stock coin pattern.

Impressions...
The machine does balance well, and the GPS feature was well worth upgrading for, this site is 40 acres and all I had to do was upload the Geo Hunt data to a laptop, and all the info to plan my next hunt is right there for me, on a map. The wireless was also a welcome change, no more dragging the detector around by the headphone cable while recovering a target. I can't wait to hear something about the 6" coil I ordered from Kellyco with the detector, no explanation from them as to when I will see it, it just didn't show up with the detector.

Good things I noticed...

I had no shutdown problems, or problems of any kind.
Balance.
I can SEE the screen (but don't have any protection on it yet).
Very good build quality, no wiggles, wobbles, or slack in the shaft.
Grip is comfortable.
I LIKE the PP trigger.
On board GPS is something I have wanted for years.
Wireless is the way to go.
Being able to come home and HOSE IT OFF is an amazing thing!!
I had probably 5 hours on it and the battery hadn't even started to go down.

I do have a few dislikes...

1) I MISS my X1 probe!!! The Garrett Pro Pointer is a nice probe, but its NO X1.
2) WARNING For $2,500.00 you would think they would have sprung for some paint that wouldn't smear all over the side of the detector if it comes in contact with you while you are wearing BUG SPRAY. I didn't test the plastic, but I found out the hard way the paint is NOT DEET COMPATIBLE. Sorry Minelab, but I have TICKS here!!
3) I have a whole new learning curve to go through, coming from a SE Pro the good stuff is in the "wrong" place :unsure:

HH all, I can't wait to get out with it again...
Joe

What are you talking about paint smearing? Do you mean the paint on the CTX? Like the logo and stuff? Surely it doesnt smear off with bug spray.

Surely it DID, from just the spray on my skin, it was not sprayed directly. One side is a CTX 3030, the other side is an X 3030 after the "CT" paint transferred to my arm.
HH Joe

Thats what I thought, never had that problem with the Explorer SE Pro....
HH Joe

Hahaha Mascara is just fine, and apparently so are the ticks, had to pull 3 off of me when I got home that were already dug in.... I would get stronger bug spray, but then wouldn't have anything left to detect with!!
HH Joe

hmmmmm some of the ole swimmen holes i frequent the water seems a bit toxic hope it dont melt away my detector.........LOL

Good to hear a report from someone using the GPS. Hope you find it as useful as I have. Sorry to hear about the paint not holding up to the Deet. I usually spray down before rolling down my sleeves, so I've not had the issue. HH Randy

Out of curiosity, I did the Wikipedia thing for DEET and here is what it says:

Effects on materials: DEET is an effective solvent,[4] and may dissolve some plastics, rayon, spandex, other synthetic fabrics, and painted or varnished surfaces including nail polish.

Yup that deet is nasty stuff. Works great for keeping the bugs off but really hard on anything painted or plastics. I wrecked a $800 fish finder with deet overspray when I was spraying it on my arm while sitting in the boat. Totally ate the screen.

Dave

Well, I can attest to the solvent part. I never had that problem with the Explorer. Oh well, it adds character.

Hahahaha good point...

Thats a expensive lesson. After seeing this, when I got home I ordered a screen protector...

WOW! That is quite the list.
I wonder if it would work to loosen crazy glue from your fingers if it works as a nail polish solvent!
Good job Joe. Keep at it and the silver will come.
HH
MM

aoyue2702 said:
I wouldn't spray anything on my skin that will eat plastics and thin paints.

Good thing I'm not made of painted plastic:laugh:....

Thanks for the heads-up on this - I'll have to be careful not to get deet on the CTX

No problem, good luck and HH.

That happened to my E-Trac decal on one side. Had lyme desease 8 yrs. ago damn those ticks. Great hunt by the way and sorry about your detector. HH :minelab:

Thank you, It will survive, What was lyme disease like?? I was using deep woods off, 25% DEET and still got the dang things. I went to wally world and got "Repel 100" it is 98.11% DEET, I hope it does better... I also hope I have a machine left after the next hunt!!! :shrug:
HH, Joe..