Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Day Out With The Nox 800 - Question

sstephenson

Well today was my first day out with the Equinox 800. In fact it was my first day out with a metal detector of any kind for about 10 years. It gave me the opportunity for a day out with my son, so it was a nice day regardless of the finds. See the Pic for my big haul :^)

So, one comment and one question. I have to say, having a detector with multi-tones was a real pleasure to use compared to the single tone units I used way back when. I know most of you probably take multi-tone units for granted now, but what an improvement!

I noticed that whenever I dug an aluminum pull tab, the Nox would give two or three beeps as I swept over the target, but a coin would give one strong beep. Is this typical? Would I potentially be missing good targets if I didn't dig the multi-beep targets?

Attachments

• 20220306_204149.jpg
    20220306_204149.jpg
    821.9 KB · Views: 105
" I noticed that whenever I dug an aluminum pull tab, the Nox would give two or three beeps as I swept over the target, but a coin would give one strong beep. Is this typical? Would I potentially be missing good targets if I didn't dig the multi-beep targets?"
sstephenson,
Welcome back to metal detecting! Sound like a grand day out with your son. :)

Double, or multiple beeps can be caused by several things. The most common perhaps, is shallow depth (or surface) targets.
When using a DD coil like the EQ has, the detector will give you 2 (or 3) beeps for a single, shallow target.

To easily check to see if this is the case, when you get a solid double beep, simply raise the detector coil up an extra 6" or so while swinging.
If the detector responds with a single beep now, that pretty much tells you it's close to the surface.

Adjacent iron or other trash can also mess up a clean signal, as can the shape of the target....especially aluminum trash like can slaw.
It can also easily be caused by discrimination being set 'right on the edge' of rejecting the target.
The various angles that junk can reflect, have a wider TID range than a nice clean coin.
You might try dropping (or even adding) some disc. to see if that helps. (I'd use less, but that's because I like to dig gold rings, too, LOL.)

What detector/coil were you using 10 years ago?
If you're coming a detector that used concentric coils, say as found on Fisher CZ's or most White's detectors of the era, you might not be familiar with this DD coil surface double/triple beep phenomenon.
But it's pretty easy to spot, and get used to .... one you understand that's what's happening.
You can even air test a coin right next to the coil, and replicate the effect.

And finally, yes you might "be missing good targets" if you don't dig shallow targets, especially those root level low conductors.
That's where many gold rings like to hide, and they can ID just like aluminum trash.

Good Luck, and HH :)

Last edited:
" I noticed that whenever I dug an aluminum pull tab, the Nox would give two or three beeps as I swept over the target, but a coin would give one strong beep. Is this typical? Would I potentially be missing good targets if I didn't dig the multi-beep targets?"
sstephenson,
Welcome back to metal detecting! Sound like a grand day out with your son. :)

Double, or multiple beeps can be caused by several things. The most common perhaps, is shallow depth (or surface) targets.
When using a DD coil like the EQ has, the detector will give you 2 (or 3) beeps for a single, shallow target.

To easily check to see if this is the case, when you get a solid double beep, simply raise the detector coil up an extra 6" or so while swinging.
If the detector responds with a single beep now, that pretty much tells you it's close to the surface.

Adjacent iron or other trash can also mess up a clean signal, as can the shape of the target....especially aluminum trash like can slaw.
It can also easily be caused by discrimination being set 'right on the edge' of rejecting the target.
The various angles that junk can reflect, have a wider TID range than a nice clean coin.
You might try dropping (or even adding) some disc. to see if that helps. (I'd use less, but that's because I like to dig gold rings, too, LOL.)

What detector/coil were you using 10 years ago?
If you're coming a detector that used concentric coils, say as found on Fisher CZ's or most White's detectors of the era, you might not be familiar with this DD coil surface double/triple beep phenomenon.
But it's pretty easy to spot, and get used to .... one you understand that's what's happening.
You can even air test a coin right next to the coil, and replicate the effect.

And finally, yes you might "be missing good targets" if you don't dig shallow targets, especially those root level low conductors.
That's where many gold rings like to hide, and they can ID just like aluminum trash.

Good Luck, and HH :)

trojdor - Thank you very much for the informative reply!

Great tip on raising the detector above the ground. I'll give that a try. We were hunting in a very trashy park. Tons of pull tabs and foil junk. With the detector in all-metal mode I was getting a bombarded by iron grunts as well.

I think you're right about needing to tune the discrimination better. Signals seemed to be very choppy on targets that mostly turned out to be junk. I may try searching in all metal mode the next time out and focus more on tone pitch to help me decide what to dig. The sensory overload in areas as trashy as that park might drive me nuts though.

Yep, way back when I was using a White's detector. I don't remember which model. I do believe that it did have a concentric coil. I've got tune tune my ears to the new sounds. Thanks again for the help!

please watch these

Some say dig everything which in a trashy area can be very tough...learn your tid target id's avoid or notch out a few numbers if needed... also the main advice I received was learn your tones...these vids will help...

You could also change your recovery speed say 7 in trashy areas that will help a lot for separation and I like 5 tones not 50 my personal preference .I prefer Minelabs tones over any other detector I've used..
Mark

You could also change your recovery speed say 7 in trashy areas that will help a lot for separation and I like 5 tones not 50 my personal preference .I prefer Minelabs tones over any other detector I've used..
Mark
I recently changed to 5 tones too, after being stubborn about staying with 50 tones since I was an FBS detector user for years. Old dogs can actually learn new tricks ;-)

Those two videos posted are great… probably the most informative I have seen with the Equinox so far.
Swinging back and forth just over the target like he does is key to getting a good TID on targets in the ground too.
Most of the others I see swing past the target.

Did he mention which Frequency Setting that he was using or Minelab Detecting Modes/ Park / Field / Beach / Gold / for the Great Demostration * * * goldnugget

please watch these

Some say dig everything which in a trashy area can be very tough...learn your tid target id's avoid or notch out a few numbers if needed... also the main advice I received was learn your tones...these vids will help...
This is exactly why I run 50 tones. Tons more information conveyed. This guy shows these very benefits and it’s much more pronounced when hunting for real targets in the ground. Great videos and worked that coil even, slow and just over the target.

Last edited:
Also I circle around a suspected target to see how it reacts from different angles..

SO much good advice given here, but this above piece of advice from Mark kus is HUGE.

Can't stress it enough...

Steve

SO much good advice given here, but this above piece of advice from Mark kus is HUGE.

Can't stress it enough...

Steve
I respectfully disagree and I will explain why. Doing so, it can talk someone right out of digging a severely masked target. For the most part, I actually stopped doing this. While I am hunting and stumble upon a target, and its severely masked, I will work on it from the very angle as I discovered it. I noticed when I started circling around unknown targets, the majority of time it would talk me right out of digging. Now, I do not do that anymore, my old coin finds have skyrocketed!! Why? I am not overloaded with "should I" or "shouldn't I"

I have a good friend that told me when he hit on a target he would circle around or at least turn 90 degrees and check it. In addition, he told me that if he didn't get a good reading from another angle or at 90 degrees, he left it behind. As I was speaking to him on the phone I said, "Are you nuts you are leaving good stuff behind!!" He questioned me with, "why?" I explained the very reason I shared up above. I then told him, "the next time you go hunting try this method. My buddy calls me a few days later after hunting this old property he and everyone else has pounded. First thing he says to me, "you were right" I responded, "about what?" my buddy explains he would of never of dug this target but kept my suggestion in the back of his mind. He hit an "ok" high tone but when he circled around it all he heard was iron grunts. (he was using the Equinox 800). The only good angle is when he first approached the target.I asked him if he dug it. He told me he was very happy he dug as it was a large cent! He doesn't fiddle around targets anymore like he use to. To each their own.
However, I feel I need to share not only my experience but a good friend of mine. I wish everyone the best in 2022!!

I quickly realized... say you have a target reacting with different vdi readings... not even 10 hunts in with the nox and if I see a good number mixed in with those jumpy readings...rework the angle and try to get to that good reading or dig all the bad signals around it to get to the good target...

Now if it is jumping with just normal readings that appear to be junk than I skip...

Basically look for known good readings...and if you keep getting that good number from a few angles stay with it...

I respectfully disagree and I will explain why. Doing so, it can talk someone right out of digging a severely masked target.
I totally agree, Jimmy. In fact, not digging such signals is one of the strongest reasons a spot is never totally hunted out. Not all such targets are good, but it is almost amazing when one is actually good, it frequently is special. HH jim tn