Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First opinion of Equinox 800

DFX-Gregg

This more aimed at someone looking into purchasing and only what to expect when starting out...as I have used 1 time at this point...
Hopefully after 100 hours my opinion changes but the truth from the first hunt...

The depth indicator is pretty useless... with it basically being ok maybe 2 or 4 inches or 6 inches or more... On my old dfx gives you an honest reading...in inches...
The vdi numbers... wish they would lock in more on a single number and that the coin readings were a little more spaced...numbers wise...
The quarter is a sound I remember from the explorer as is the 29 reading...
The pinpointing not bad... definitely will take a little practice.. but I usually use a smaller 6 inch coil on my other detectors due to trash... and I purchased a 6..but want to go with the 11 inch standard for a few hunts first...
Lightweight yes...the coil end seemed a little unbalanced but not bad... cleaning the coil lots of little areas to clean...
You definitely will need to learn the adjustments... I needed to make a sensitivity adjustment just to hunt...

Overall, after one hunt not really willing to say a lot... Found $1.24 in clad... and a kiddie token...but if you plan on buying make sure you are also willing to put n the time to learn.. otherwise go with something a little more basic.. I will definitely have it working right for me..but once I get going weather permitting... I will be putting in the hours...like I did with the dfx and the explorer years ago...

Overall first thought..unless you are going to be using more than 2 or 3x a month go with something at a lower cost...

I bought my Equinox 600 new and couldn't be happier with it. I didn't need the extra gadgets that came on the 800.
I like to tinker... so would like to save a few programs of my own when I have a clue... also was offered the 800 for just $100 more than the 600... And the wireless earphones will be nice... when I can figure them out! Also the wm08 which can be used to attach headphones is nice... can stick in a pocket... really just about learning your detector whether an ace or an equinox... in my opinion... and I could easily sell the extras for the difference..so the offer I received made the decision for me.

Greg, get one of the books out there such as Andy Sabisch's and you should be able to work over some of the nuances of the Equinox. I personally go mostly by tones now especially a 3 tone mod for the beach. The Equinox is a fantastic tones machines that allows for heaps of flexibility in this regards. The ability to adjustably group VDIs into a single bucket aka number might be a nice feature to have aka VDI=0 for iron. VDI=1 for 1-10, VDI=2 for 11-20, etc but tones are just more useful to me. 50 tones still sounds too much pinball like the Explorer to me. :cool:

DFXTGregg,
That Equinox is a very capable detector, and I think in time you will like it more than the DFX.
Make sure you downoad or print the manual since it only comes with a quickstart guide.
In my opinion, that and some time in the field is all you will need.
Quarters normally read 30 on my 800, but I have seen some read slightly higher or lower.
I have found more silver coins with this detector than any other detector I have used and in places that I have detected for about 15 years.
I have been extremely impressed with the results I have been getting with mine.
This detector is not nearly as complicated as some have claimed.. at least to me it isn't.
Good luck to you with that new detector!!

I’ve had one going on 4 years and last week I nailed 18 silvers go slow in the trash and use 7 recovery it’s a great detector just need to put your time in…two SLQ’a I found last week rang up 30 I thought they were clad quarters be how encrusted they were.
Mark

Attachments

• 8214D839-6441-498D-8F74-CC4EF4E3ABF1.jpeg
    8214D839-6441-498D-8F74-CC4EF4E3ABF1.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 102
  • 840049A4-25B8-4438-8A7B-6FBB54343B63.jpeg
    840049A4-25B8-4438-8A7B-6FBB54343B63.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 103
Gregg -

A little more than three years ago I felt very similar to you concerning the Equinox. I do not pay attention to the depth meter so this part doesn't bother me. I gauge coins in depth by listening for the "soft, deep tones"
When I first started hunting with the Equinox, I kept everything at factory setting. I will expound on sensitivity as you mention this feature."Factory set" sensitivity is a good place to start until one learns how iron behaves. My nerves were whacked when I first started as I could of started an iron scrap business lol. Now? I keep the sensitivity at a minimum of 23. 23 or higher sensitivity will open your eyes tremendously. I know with certainty it did mine!! I can crank up sensitivity as I learned an enormous amount of how iron sounds / reacts and behaves with the Equinox. Do I still get fooled? Of course I do but it's minimal. When it doubt, DIG!!!
As far as the TID numbers, I felt the same way: I wish Minelab had expanded the TID to 180 like they had done with the meter for the Minelab Sovereign / BBS. However I have learned the 40 scale and I have learned to enjoy it.
Learning the adjustments are not all the complicated. Pick a mode (I mainly use Park1 as I have concluded it is the deepest mode for me) set your other parameters and off I go.

My settings:
Park1 - Multi
GB I leave it at 0
sensitivity 23
Noise Cancel
No threshold
volume - 25 then adjust my headphones to a comfortable level.

Iron Bias - F2 - 0 (this setting is going to allow much more information in and also iron) You may want to start with F2-4 or F2-5. Iron bias is very aggressive and at F2-6 will handle old crown caps. More Iron Bias you employ, the more masking of possible coins mixed in with iron. One has to find a happy medium.

50 tones - I know everyone has their preference and this is mine. 50 tones conveys a ton more information then lesser selected tone modes. I hear nuances those that run 1,2 or 5 tones will never hear. I am aware this may ruffle some feathers but be that as it may.

Target Recovery Speed - 4. This year I am going to run 3 for a Target Recovery Speed. The lower the number the slower the recovery and will achieve greater depths. Contrary to what many believe (heck I use to believe it too!) Lower recover speeds in iron uncover more non-ferrous targets. The key with the Equinox is to scan slow. I have found many nice old coins mixed in heavy iron trash. The Equinox is incredible in unmasking IF one allows it to. I am not stating a person will not make finds with higher recovery and scan speed because I have. HOWEVER...
if you want to find treasures that many have walked over, this is where slow recovery and scanning comes in. Patients new grasshoppers.
Most of all, have fun!

This more aimed at someone looking into purchasing and only what to expect when starting out...as I have used 1 time at this point...
Hopefully after 100 hours my opinion changes but the truth from the first hunt...

The depth indicator is pretty useless... with it basically being ok maybe 2 or 4 inches or 6 inches or more... On my old dfx gives you an honest reading...in inches...
The vdi numbers... wish they would lock in more on a single number and that the coin readings were a little more spaced...numbers wise...
The quarter is a sound I remember from the explorer as is the 29 reading...
The pinpointing not bad... definitely will take a little practice.. but I usually use a smaller 6 inch coil on my other detectors due to trash... and I purchased a 6..but want to go with the 11 inch standard for a few hunts first...
Lightweight yes...the coil end seemed a little unbalanced but not bad... cleaning the coil lots of little areas to clean...
You definitely will need to learn the adjustments... I needed to make a sensitivity adjustment just to hunt...

Overall, after one hunt not really willing to say a lot... Found $1.24 in clad... and a kiddie token...but if you plan on buying make sure you are also willing to put n the time to learn.. otherwise go with something a little more basic.. I will definitely have it working right for me..but once I get going weather permitting... I will be putting in the hours...like I did with the dfx and the explorer years ago...

Overall first thought..unless you are going to be using more than 2 or 3x a month go with something at a lower cost...

Greg, get one of the books out there such as Andy Sabisch's and you should be able to work over some of the nuances of the Equinox. I personally go mostly by tones now especially a 3 tone mod for the beach. The Equinox is a fantastic tones machines that allows for heaps of flexibility in this regards. The ability to adjustably group VDIs into a single bucket aka number might be a nice feature to have aka VDI=0 for iron. VDI=1 for 1-10, VDI=2 for 11-20, etc but tones are just more useful to me. 50 tones still sounds too much pinball like the Explorer to me. :cool:
Thanks for the advice as soon as I get the basics down will give this a shot with the groupings..

me too i love mine. with the 15 inch coil
For me the standard coil is big..lol... with my other detectors I always had the small ones on due to the trashy areas I used to and will hunt.. Already purchased the 6 inch coil... just want to get a few hunts in with the standard coil first.

DFXTGregg,
That Equinox is a very capable detector, and I think in time you will like it more than the DFX.
Make sure you downoad or print the manual since it only comes with a quickstart guide.
In my opinion, that and some time in the field is all you will need.
Quarters normally read 30 on my 800, but I have seen some read slightly higher or lower.
I have found more silver coins with this detector than any other detector I have used and in places that I have detected for about 15 years.
I have been extremely impressed with the results I have been getting with mine.
This detector is not nearly as complicated as some have claimed.. at least to me it isn't.
Good luck to you with that new detector!!
Thanks and I agree it reminds me of the explorer but with a faster response and I noticed it picks up a ton of low reading (1-10). Which yes I understand there could be gold hiding...

I’ve had one going on 4 years and last week I nailed 18 silvers go slow in the trash and use 7 recovery it’s a great detector just need to put your time in…two SLQ’a I found last week rang up 30 I thought they were clad quarters be how encrusted they were.
Mark
But a nice surprise I am sure! I will put the time in and congrats on the silvers nice work!

Gregg -

A little more than three years ago I felt very similar to you concerning the Equinox. I do not pay attention to the depth meter so this part doesn't bother me. I gauge coins in depth by listening for the "soft, deep tones"
When I first started hunting with the Equinox, I kept everything at factory setting. I will expound on sensitivity as you mention this feature."Factory set" sensitivity is a good place to start until one learns how iron behaves. My nerves were whacked when I first started as I could of started an iron scrap business lol. Now? I keep the sensitivity at a minimum of 23. 23 or higher sensitivity will open your eyes tremendously. I know with certainty it did mine!! I can crank up sensitivity as I learned an enormous amount of how iron sounds / reacts and behaves with the Equinox. Do I still get fooled? Of course I do but it's minimal. When it doubt, DIG!!!
As far as the TID numbers, I felt the same way: I wish Minelab had expanded the TID to 180 like they had done with the meter for the Minelab Sovereign / BBS. However I have learned the 40 scale and I have learned to enjoy it.
Learning the adjustments are not all the complicated. Pick a mode (I mainly use Park1 as I have concluded it is the deepest mode for me) set your other parameters and off I go.

My settings:
Park1 - Multi
GB I leave it at 0
sensitivity 23
Noise Cancel
No threshold
volume - 25 then adjust my headphones to a comfortable level.

Iron Bias - F2 - 0 (this setting is going to allow much more information in and also iron) You may want to start with F2-4 or F2-5. Iron bias is very aggressive and at F2-6 will handle old crown caps. More Iron Bias you employ, the more masking of possible coins mixed in with iron. One has to find a happy medium.

50 tones - I know everyone has their preference and this is mine. 50 tones conveys a ton more information then lesser selected tone modes. I hear nuances those that run 1,2 or 5 tones will never hear. I am aware this may ruffle some feathers but be that as it may.

Target Recovery Speed - 4. This year I am going to run 3 for a Target Recovery Speed. The lower the number the slower the recovery and will achieve greater depths. Contrary to what many believe (heck I use to believe it too!) Lower recover speeds in iron uncover more non-ferrous targets. The key with the Equinox is to scan slow. I have found many nice old coins mixed in heavy iron trash. The Equinox is incredible in unmasking IF one allows it to. I am not stating a person will not make finds with higher recovery and scan speed because I have. HOWEVER...
if you want to find treasures that many have walked over, this is where slow recovery and scanning comes in. Patients new grasshoppers.
Most of all, have fun!
Thanks Jimmy lots of info. and I do know what you mean about the sensitivity ..once I learned the DFX I always used to crank it and enjoyed it... then I would pull back slightly...But a lot of info thanks.

Overall, after one hunt not really willing to say a lot.
Everything you disliked about the Nox, I did, too. While I had numerous detectors in my arsenal, a F 75 had been my main swing since it first came out, 15 or so years ago. Upon acquiring the Nox about a year ago now, I took the batteries out of my other detectors and said to myself I am going to learn this machine and then make a decision about it. Although I am still learning things about it, I have decided it is a keeper and have not put any batteries back in any other detector. Park 1, sen. 24-25 and mostly 5 tones. (I get the sense 5 tones is a hair deeper)??? Give it a hundred hours. You will be glad you did. HH jim tn

Everything you disliked about the Nox, I did, too. While I had numerous detectors in my arsenal, a F 75 had been my main swing since it first came out, 15 or so years ago. Upon acquiring the Nox about a year ago now, I took the batteries out of my other detectors and said to myself I am going to learn this machine and then make a decision about it. Although I am still learning things about it, I have decided it is a keeper and have not put any batteries back in any other detector. Park 1, sen. 24-25 and mostly 5 tones. (I get the sense 5 tones is a hair deeper)??? Give it a hundred hours. You will be glad you did. HH jim tn
Thanks Jim I have been going over what everyone has said...I haveva lengthy conversation going on at another site... I am finding that the two biggest soft spots seem to be target id...and the poor depth reader...
Already know I am justbl going to listen how the detector songs out those tones but I am used to thar secondary verification...
Watched a video today a Wheatie was dancing from 19 to 27! They placed the readings WAY to close...for my old dfx which is great with target id... that variance would mean the difference between a zincoln and a wheatie...not as you pin point every number between 19 and 29 will pop up!

Thanks Jim I have been going over what everyone has said...I haveva lengthy conversation going on at another site... I am finding that the two biggest soft spots seem to be target id...and the poor depth reader...
Already know I am justbl going to listen how the detector songs out those tones but I am used to thar secondary verification...
Watched a video today a Wheatie was dancing from 19 to 27! They placed the readings WAY to close...for my old dfx which is great with target id... that variance would mean the difference between a zincoln and a wheatie...not as you pin point every number between 19 and 29 will pop up!
This could be due to iron in the hole. Also performing a “sovereign wiggle” ( short tight sweeps) over the target may help clarify the signal. Most importantly, if the signal doesn’t “drop out” get your shovel ready to dig!

Last edited:
They placed the readings WAY to close.
That I didn't like early on myself. Stick with it though. Although its tones, tones, tones for me, the tid I've grow accustomed to and find it quite accurate. I don't recall a wheat back bouncing from 19 to 27 unless another coins was also in the hole, but the older ones with the nice green patina do most often read lower like 19-21 or so. If it has a small feel I dig, particularly if it has some depth. I have dug I H cents even a couple of numbers lower. In time, you will find bottle caps in that range and up, have a little different sound to them. Good luck! HH jim tn

I agree. Get the Sabisch book.

I run 50 tones, 24 sens, 5 recovery speed. Go as slow as you need to hear the tone of each target. Then pinpoint the one you want. Then turn on it and repin point. My 12 x 15 coil only comes off when I water hunt. I've found a Canadian fishscale 8" down in an iron patch. I've found more gold than with any other machine. This baby is the deepest detector I've ever owned in the last 46 years of detecting. The depth meter is just a reference by size. I go by each arrow is 1-2" inches deep. Until you get to 5 arrows then it could be up 13" +. Don't be afraid to dig deep when you get a good signal. It takes awhile to actually believe the depth this thing gets. Take the time to learn this detector you will be more than satisfied.

I run 50 tones, 24 sens, 5 recovery speed. Go as slow as you need to hear the tone of each target. Then pinpoint the one you want. Then turn on it and repin point. My 12 x 15 coil only comes off when I water hunt. I've found a Canadian fishscale 8" down in an iron patch. I've found more gold than with any other machine. This baby is the deepest detector I've ever owned in the last 46 years of detecting. The depth meter is just a reference by size. I go by each arrow is 1-2" inches deep. Until you get to 5 arrows then it could be up 13" +. Don't be afraid to dig deep when you get a good signal. It takes awhile to actually believe the depth this thing gets. Take the time to learn this detector you will be more than satisfied.