Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Silver found with new SE Pro...and Silver everywhere!!:surprised:

mj-air23

Finally got out with my new SE Pro that I have been dying to swing. A buddy and I went for a 2-hour hunt to a couple of spots he had permission to hunt at. First, was an older house where we picked up some clad and I got a wheatie. I am still trying to get used to the SE, as I had the XS before, and the iron mask was different, the pinpointing was definitely different, and I am trying to get used to the Ferrous numbers, as I have not used them before. We moved on to the next spot, and right off the bat, my buddy picks up a well worn Barber quarter. We thought, hmmm, this spot could have potential. He dug another target, and it was 3 clad quarters in one hole. Meanwhile, I dug a clad dime, a zinc penny, some can slaw, and just kinda wandered around hoping to get some kind of a solid signal. I swung the coil next to a bush, and got a solid 00 25 on the SE. Thinking it was maybe a wheatie or Indian I kneeled down, dug the plug, and scooped out the first handful of dirt. Stuck the probe in the pile and was delighted to find a 1910 Canadian Quarter. I was pleasantly surprised to get my first older Canadian silver coin. I called my buddy over to show him, and then put the coin in my pouch. I stuck the probe back in the hole and she sang out again. I said, oh boy, there's more in here! I reached in and took another handful of dirt out, and mixed in the dirt were 5 or 6 more silver coins, some quarters and a half, I think. Now, I started getting shaky....I looked down in the hole, and I could see more coins in there stacked together, but horizontally in the hole, with the reeded edges sticking up. Now I was excited. I dug some more dirt out around them and scooped them out of the hole. By the time I was done, I had 21 silver coins laying beside the hole! Totally awesome!! Final tally was: 3 Barber Halves, 2 Walking Liberty Halves, 4 Barber Quarters, 6 Standing Liberty Quarters(2 with dates), 5 Washington Quarters, and the first 1910 Canadian Quarter. Oldest coin was semi-key date 1897"O" Barber Half and the newest coin was a 1936. My first ever Cache and its something I will never forget! It is why I love this hobby so much. Thanks for sharing it with me!

That is totally awsome!!!:yikes: Finding a cache of silver coins is extremely rare.:surprised: Man I wish some of that luck would rub off on me!
Great pictures too!

Beyond words. wonderful good fortune! WTG Maybe someday it will happen to me . HH

Wow, I can only dream of finds like that, Did you see any evidence of a container or jar or something? I sure looks like someones "rainy day" fund and wouldn't be surprised if there were more of them.

That would have really represented a LOT of money during that time frame. Looks like it was out in the open. Was there a way to determine how the person would find them? Some people put nails on trees and would hang plum bobs to locate... or fence posts. With this kind of money in one spot id check around.... obviously during the depression they didnt trust banks. Obviously there were circulated coins... some of the SLQ were earlier than 1924 because they dont have dates. Congrats..... N I C E.

Dew

Very Nice!!!

Wonderful Hobby we have!!!!!

Fantastic finds! Thanks for sharing your discovery since most of us have never found a silver cache like that. Way to go and HH.

NICE! That is a beautiful and very rare recovery. That is the kind of "thing" that keeps us all out in the filed....maybe just maybe I'll get to dig my own cache some day!

Awesome find!!

I am happy to see you find something such as this as it shows it can be still done even though some may not believe it we know it can be done and I hope this is just a start for you and your new SE Pro and you will continued to find silver like this up here.
These cache are far and few, but when you do find one it is something you will remember forever. I hope you bring this to our hunt as I am sure everyone will love to see all this coins and give James a thrill too to show it can be done yet.

Good Luck Mike on your next hunt and hope it does well for you too.

Rick

What a successful way to start with your new machine. To find not only a silver coin, but a cache too boot. Make sure to get lots of pictures and a record of all the dates, place hunted ect. Congrats.

Every detectorist's dream.............WTG...........Kudos on a great hunt!!! Hawkeye Jim.

Now that is absolutely, completely AWESOME!

Only think I can't figure is, why on such a silver stash was your signal 00-25? Should have been more like 00-30, I would have thought...

Maybe it cued in only on the Canadian quarter, though that still does not make complete sense...

Anyway, JUST SIMPLY AMAZING!

Steve

thanx for posting. Nice pix, nice text/story, etc..... Either that was a major "pocket spill" (someone with a bunch of coins in their pocket", or a deliberate "cache". If it was simply a pocket spill (because it's not impossible that someone simply had that many coins in their pocket at one time), then that person was carrying a LOT of money for that time. A dollar was a day's wage during the depression, right? So this would have been like you or I loosing several week's pay nowadays. Ie.: to have lost hundreds of dollars. Congratz!