Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First trip of the year! :detecting:

The warm weather today was too much to resist. I headed out to my favorite local park to get in some LONG overdue detecting. I didn't really expect much in the way of finds, I just wanted to enjoy a beautiful day. I started off in a patch of woods that were cleared out of the underbrush but only managed one wheatie after two hours of detecting.

I then moved back over the fringe area, at an old 1800's picnic ground, that gave up my last seated dime last year. The ground was in great shape for detecting. Damp, and the grass flattened down after the winter snow. I soon picked up a faint hit that was locking on "quarter". About 9 inches down, out pops my first silver of the year - a 1906 D Barber Quarter. About 10 feet away, I detect another faint hit that was locking on quarter to half. This one also turned up another Barber Quarter - a 1900. This coin had green circles on both sides of it, I knew there were other coins still in the hole. Out came a Buffalo nickel and a Wheatie. I hunted a little more and added a few more wheaties to the haul before calling it a day. This was certainly a nice start to the year! Take care and HH, Mike.

Very nice! I hope to continue to get well so I can post some finds like yours Mike! I charge the SE batteries every once in a while and better get the Andy Book out too!!

Are still using the Explorer or have you switched to something else? Ive been spending ALOT of time in the EX Classroom and looking at all the older posts....much to absorb...love the Explorer. What coil were you using? Two Barber quarters in one hunt is crazy! Are you using Fast and Deep ON at the same time? Other settings? Thanks Mike...

Kevin

Mike great first outing of the year! That sure bodes well for your detecting success this year. Those Barber quarters are just gleaming.

IDXMonster said:
Are still using the Explorer or have you switched to something else? Ive been spending ALOT of time in the EX Classroom and looking at all the older posts....much to absorb...love the Explorer. What coil were you using? Two Barber quarters in one hunt is crazy! Are you using Fast and Deep ON at the same time? Other settings? Thanks Mike...

Kevin

Should have said "using the Explorer XS"...obviously youre using an Explorer of some kind as thats what forum this is....duh.:rolleyes:

I'm still using my old Explorer 2. One day, I'll post some pics of it to show the wear and tear - er "character" on it. I still use fast and deep "on" settings and have a 12 inch butterfly coil. I run manual sensitivity as high as possible to receive a halfway consistent threshold tone so that I can distinguish the nulling of any iron signals when determining whether or not to dig, which is a must in trashy parks. Thanks and HH, Mike.

Thanks for the info Mike,I run the EX2 as well...going to Milwaukee next weekend to buy ANOTHER one,just to have a backup in case something magically croaks. Ive been using the X-12 with great results,but most of the time Im in Auto 26-28 cuz Im a puss. Will try MANUAL more this year...what is the reasoning with running higher sensitivity in a trashy area,other than "it seems to work better". I havent gotten a grasp of that concept yet,though the experienced guys do just that. Ill get there someday....

Kevin

Mike I like that - the Exp II has character! Sounds like mine to the T.

Are you saying that you have fast and deep turned on together? I haven't tried that set up. Usually one or the other, depending on the site.

The master strikes again ought to cover it....and to boot an older explorer....prefer the XS myself but proof is in the pudding.......type Mikes name in Google for some excellent tip and especially the cursor screen movement in some of his screen tips....

I always run fast and deep on and was tutored by the best Explorer fellow in our area..Indeed to me slow is the way to go but Mitch who once had his own website swung fast and went as deep and recovered more than most including a lot of gold rings. At a planted hunt 15 years ago the Minelab rep was actually asking him questions and stayed the night and hunted the next day with him. Unfortunately he left the hobby and his website is down but will always be grateful for his help. So if you live near an Explorer guru try to have a couple hunts with him as it shortens the learning period...

Hello Dan-Pa, thanks for the clarity. To bad he left the hobby - it would be cool to hunt with folks that use the same machine.
I am in NJ and in ECRDA

n/t

Hey Dan- Pa, I tried Fast and Deep together today and liked the results.
I went to an area that I hunted over a dozen times - I was lucky enough to find two wheat cents and a 1955 D Roosevelt dime.
Found a two piece button with a hallmark of a sail boat along with words on the back - Brand Sailing Boat - must be aluminum - it rang up penny\dime
So I have to say that the testing went well.

Thank you and
Thanks Mike!