Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First trip out with the Manticore

Tommy Boy

The first week that I had the Manticore, the weather was cold and rainy, so I watched a lot of videos, printed the manual in color and played with the menus.

This morning was sunny and calm, temps were climbing to the 60's and I was out the door looking for a place to hunt. I was driving down a twisty highway and out of the corner of my eye, was an old sign by a creek that said Park.

I turned around and went back, I turned off the highway and down a dirt road, that dead ended next to an old creak, with water running thru it. I got out and walked around, and found a trail leading to a lake. I found another trail that lead to some cliffs, looking up the cliffs, I noticed a huge cave entrance. I climbed as high as I could, but it was too slippery, so that going to be for another day.

I went back to my truck, and an old man in a pickup pulled in , he got out, said howdy, and started getting fishing gear out. Talking to the old guy was like talking to Billy Bob Thornton in sling blade.

I ask him if he lived around the area and he just said, yep all my life. I ask if he caught very many fish in the lake, he said, all I care to. I told him while I was walking around, I noticed a cave up in the cliffs. He said, yep there's a cave up there.

I told him I would like to use a metal detector, to see if I could find anything, he said, do what you want, I'm gonna fish. I ask who do I need to talk to, to get permission. He said this place is for everyone to use, just don't leave any trash behind, and your golden

So I got the Manticore out, with the stock 11" coil and fired it up, it was dead stable, no chatter, or noise. I started in All Terrain General, noise cancel and ground balance, and away I went. At first I dug everything, just to see what it was, but quickly found that the 2D graph was my new best friend. I wound up digging a lot less trash.

I used the Manticore with 11" coil for 2 1/2 hours, then I put the 8"x5.5" coil on and ran it for about 30 minutes, I found an old dime next to a tree, right off the bat, not sure how old it is, I am going to have to clean it up.

I am really going to like the Manticore. It is powerful, stable, the numbers don't jump around, and that 2D screen, reminds me of the E-Trac, every target has its own signature. The place that I was at, had zero EMI issues, I could run it as high as I wanted to. The 8x5.5 coil was smacking 1/4" chunks of lead at 3", with no problem, jewelry is back on my menu of things to find.

I am going back tomorrow, to give the Manticore a good workout and try the small coil around the cliffs and around the edges of the lake

Sounds like a neat place. Good hunting.

Its a great detector
Mark

The first week that I had the Manticore, the weather was cold and rainy, so I watched a lot of videos, printed the manual in color and played with the menus.

This morning was sunny and calm, temps were climbing to the 60's and I was out the door looking for a place to hunt. I was driving down a twisty highway and out of the corner of my eye, was an old sign by a creek that said Park.

I turned around and went back, I turned off the highway and down a dirt road, that dead ended next to an old creak, with water running thru it. I got out and walked around, and found a trail leading to a lake. I found another trail that lead to some cliffs, looking up the cliffs, I noticed a huge cave entrance. I climbed as high as I could, but it was too slippery, so that going to be for another day.

I went back to my truck, and an old man in a pickup pulled in , he got out, said howdy, and started getting fishing gear out. Talking to the old guy was like talking to Billy Bob Thornton in sling blade.

I ask him if he lived around the area and he just said, yep all my life. I ask if he caught very many fish in the lake, he said, all I care to. I told him while I was walking around, I noticed a cave up in the cliffs. He said, yep there's a cave up there.

I told him I would like to use a metal detector, to see if I could find anything, he said, do what you want, I'm gonna fish. I ask who do I need to talk to, to get permission. He said this place is for everyone to use, just don't leave any trash behind, and your golden

So I got the Manticore out, with the stock 11" coil and fired it up, it was dead stable, no chatter, or noise. I started in All Terrain General, noise cancel and ground balance, and away I went. At first I dug everything, just to see what it was, but quickly found that the 2D graph was my new best friend. I wound up digging a lot less trash.

I used the Manticore with 11" coil for 2 1/2 hours, then I put the 8"x5.5" coil on and ran it for about 30 minutes, I found an old dime next to a tree, right off the bat, not sure how old it is, I am going to have to clean it up.

I am really going to like the Manticore. It is powerful, stable, the numbers don't jump around, and that 2D screen, reminds me of the E-Trac, every target has its own signature. The place that I was at, had zero EMI issues, I could run it as high as I wanted to. The 8x5.5 coil was smacking 1/4" chunks of lead at 3", with no problem, jewelry is back on my menu of things to find.

I am going back tomorrow, to give the Manticore a good workout and try the small coil around the cliffs and around the edges of the lake
Long story short- you found a dime.. Joking, nice write up. Congrats on your new detector. I haven’t used one but heard a lot of good reviews. That park sounds promising for some old coins and jewelry, good luck.

how did you get a small coil? I've been looking for one, aamd Coiltek said they are not releasing any Manticore coils anytime soon.