Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

fisher f4 f5 f70

foxhunter

O.K..I'm coming here because I'm looking for a machine with good notching capabilities..I cant seem to get the answers I need from manuals..My question is on notching with the f4,f5 f70...It seems you can only disc up to 80? Lets say I just wanted to hunt quarters...Can I notch out everthing above and below the quarter segment? .Someone that uses one of these units could maybe varify...thanks

I noticed you posted the same question about the tesoro forum about a different detector so I am assuming you are just looking for a detector with good notching. Look at the AT Pro, you can hunt only for quarters, or for that matter, any specific target you want(dimes,pennies,pulltabs, foil,nickels,etc.).

F4 = NO, you can not notch out anything above copper cent/dime range.
F5 = NO! Same with the F5.

I don't own an F70 but I'm going to say no to it as well. The reason is the notch zones are an aid to help mainly the coin hunters to notch out known trash zones, I know Nickels are not trash, but that area is an extremely trash populated zone. So, that being said there isn't any real reason to notch out the high conductor zones, now if you want to leave dimes/pennies and half dollars then just ignore them.

I will also say that its not likely that any of the mentioned models will allow the discrimination adjustment to go above the copper cent/dime range either! it probably only disc out up to the zinc penny range. I have an Omega which is a build off of the F5 and the ID range goes to 99 the Disc range stops at 80 which knocks out the zinc's. I also had an F2 which is a little brother to the F4 and the same goes for it. You have no disc or notch control above the Zinc range.

If I only want to pickup quarters I max out the disc and dig only the targets that fall into that quarter range, you don't need the detector to go silent on everything around quarters to hunt just them.

Mark

foxhunter said:

Really? you can take an F5 or an F4 and notch out dimes and half dollars?

Mark

You can very easily snipe just Q's with the F70 using DP tones and no notch whatsoever...even though the 70 has notch and all that, I have never used it...on account of I want to find the 'lane' and all the other coins are a reference guide to that coin heavy spot...I've had many fine 100+Q days using DP..

dang things jump right out of the ground, very unmistakable 'ping'..you dont have to dig anything but Q's if you want..you will also get the new dollar coins, and halfs... DP tones are great for sniping Q's, or any other segment of the scale you wish...the DP tones tell you the composition of the metal, the proportional/modulated audio, its size and depth, so you can just go after anything 3" to surface if you want on account of that audio, never looking at the screen just going by sound....:thumbup:
Mud.

Disc goes up to 65 on the F70.
Zinc cents come in at the lower 60's so no you can't disc out copper cents, dimes, quarters or larger coins.
You can look at the numbers on the VDI and not dig anything below quarters, or do it by sound like mud does in DP but a detector that can actually disc out, notch out or in any other way avoid signaling on high tone targets like these well, I have never heard of one that can...but I haven't had every detector in my hands, either.
Someone here said the AT Pro can do it but that is surprising news to me if that is true.

Upon further reading, this may have been a rhetorical question not specifically targeted at sniping Q's...I've got a AtPro also, but again, never use notch...so I dont know if it can or not...a guy can 'wing it' if he's hunting for a specific target to the exclusion of all others....example:

lets say somebody lost a gold ring, so a guy just wants to hear those tones and not everything else is the only real world concept behind notching out targets above and below that integer?..anyway, if its a known sized fresh loss in a specific area, who cares? Easy peasy...

Any old body should be able to find it notch or no with just about any rig out there that half way works? I guess a bit more reasoning behind your question is needed for us to give you a better answer...,

Foxhunter, what are you up to here? Do you want to snipe Q's? Thats a cool and admirable reason to ask your question...there are people that set a goal for 5000 Q's per yr, you would do very well finding a rig that runs DP tones if thats your intent..:thumbup:
Mud.

That is doable on all of the X-Terra's as well as the AT Pro. You can notch out, or in, any target ID number on the X-Terra, and any target segment (5 target id numbers) on the AT Pro. The AT Gold has a fixed discrimination pattern that includes fixed notch discrimination.

Good stuff HPH! Thank you!...

I am sort of new to this sport, so may I ask what would be the reasoning behind using this notch feature? There must be one that applies in a real world setting?, or it wouldnt have been included right?
Mud

As has been mentioned, I think the main reason for this ability is to be able to selectively hunt for any specific target that falls into one, or more, conductivity ranges. For example; you're short on time and want to be as productive as possible while digging as little trash items as possible. Perhaps you just want to find the higher conductive coins such as dimes, quarters and halves. You could set up your notch pattern to eliminate everything except those targets that fall into that particular ID number, or segment. The same would go for finding a matching earring when you can "test" the remaining earring for it's target signature, and then set up your notch pattern to only respond to that target segment/id.

There is a great YouTube video by Gerry, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm5IgBS0GS8, that shows how he sampled all the gold rings he found, and then set up his notch pattern to only respond to those targets in that pattern thus eliminating the majority of other targets and increasing his chances of finding gold rings within that range. He also showed how to adjust the frequency on the 705 to "move" the tab that responded to a "12" id, and moved it to respond as a "14" which he had notched out. Pretty slick way to narrow your odds. Of course you can just dig those targets that come up with the ID numbers on any machine, while ignoring the others, but you have to listen to all that "noise" while waiting for the right numbers to come up. Plus you have to spend more time staring at the screen looking for those particular numbers. I'm sure there are other ways to do this, but it's super simple on the X-Terra's and AT Pro. There are probably other instruments that can do it as well, however I'm not familiar with them, nor have used them.

Hope this helps...

HPH...thanks...A few years back, my Wife had a garage sale and her jewelry stand blew over and scattered all her goods on the lawn....She was in a state of panic as you can imagine...I fired up the 70 and quickly found everything but one earring...so I shot the one she had, like you mentioned, got the tone signal, and quickly found the other in general totlot mode without notching or looking at the screen...my yard is full of crap, pulltabs, nails, splitshots and all that kind of bric-a-brac from me emptying out my car and pouch all the time...I had absolutely ZERO trouble finding that lone earring just running DP tones....I cant for the life of me seeing a real world value for notch to begin with?..especially for a gold hunter?....a guy wants to know depth, size of target, and composition primarily? So I wrote this 'notch' off as a 'marketing feature', akin to a backlight, or cupholder!...:rofl:..The only time I ever look at the screen is on initial power up to check battery life, and maybe scroll through the settings just to be sure..since the 70 saves the former settings, this effort is not even required except maybe once per week..:shrug:..damndest thing, to flit from totlot, chip or gravel, to a sportspark, and on to a beach and just jump out, fire up, and go hunt!..I cant see the need for notch at all if a guy has DP tones to employ...sure makes everything simple to run DP tones, hunting fast with heads up and going by ear?....
Mud

mudpuppy said:
HPH...thanks...A few years back, my Wife had a garage sale and her jewelry stand blew over and scattered all her goods on the lawn....She was in a state of panic as you can imagine...I fired up the 70 and quickly found everything but one earring...so I shot the one she had, like you mentioned, got the tone signal, and quickly found the other in general totlot mode without notching or looking at the screen...my yard is full of crap, pulltabs, nails, splitshots and all that kind of bric-a-brac from me emptying out my car and pouch all the time...I had absolutely ZERO trouble finding that lone earring just running DP tones....I cant for the life of me seeing a real world value for notch to begin with?..especially for a gold hunter?....a guy wants to know depth, size of target, and composition primarily? So I wrote this 'notch' off as a 'marketing feature', akin to a backlight, or cupholder!...:rofl:..The only time I ever look at the screen is on initial power up to check battery life, and maybe scroll through the settings just to be sure..since the 70 saves the former settings, this effort is not even required except maybe once per week..:shrug:..damndest thing, to flit from totlot, chip or gravel, to a sportspark, and on to a beach and just jump out, fire up, and go hunt!..I cant see the need for notch at all if a guy has DP tones to employ...sure makes everything simple to run DP tones, hunting fast with heads up and going by ear?....
Mud

I understand what you're saying, but not everyone is as tuned into their machine as you are. I, too, have an F70, but haven't had a chance to get out with it due to this nasty Winter we're having throughout the country. I have a Sovereign GT that I can just listen to the tones to make my decisions to dig, or not dig, too. Wrote a book about them years ago that I am going to offer to anyone that wants it for free. I need to post that over on the Sovereign forum, just been too busy trying to get my car project done so I can concentrate on other things like detecting and photography, etc.

I'd sure like to see that! :clapping: So much Black magic and Tribal Knowledge you have hard earned is lost to us noobs on account of we either cant see it by reading between the lines, or dont understand it if we do...This is one awful Winter alright..anyway, I sure would like to see your writings...PM me if you want to...thanks!
Mud

I stand corrected.

I have only used notch one time on my F70.
Usually I use very low disc and just pick and choose the targets I want to dig by listening to tones, the iron grunt and watching the screen, but this hunt was at a very trashy park with a ton of sta-tabs and very little time to hunt and very little patience to listen to all those tab signals.
I knocked out the tabs and that resulted in a much more fun and relaxing hunt and plucked a lot of clad from this trash pit.
I hated to do that because of the gold issue, but in this case it worked well.
Certain sites with certain trash targets you want to avoid, or certain good targets you specifically want to find this notch feature can come in handy.

coinhunterseth said:
I noticed you posted the same question about the tesoro forum about a different detector so I am assuming you are just looking for a detector with good notching. Look at the AT Pro, you can hunt only for quarters, or for that matter, any specific target you want(dimes,pennies,pulltabs, foil,nickels,etc.).

I just noticed there is a typo in the first line on my post it should say, on the tesoro forum not "about the tesoro forum".
I actually never use the notching feature to much on my AT Pro, I have a hard time not digging zinc signals :laugh: one of them could be a silver or even better a gold ring. If I am hunting a public park I do notch out pulltabs and foil though.

mudpuppy said:
Upon further reading, this may have been a rhetorical question not specifically targeted at sniping Q's...I've got a AtPro also, but again, never use notch...so I dont know if it can or not...a guy can 'wing it' if he's hunting for a specific target to the exclusion of all others....example:

lets say somebody lost a gold ring, so a guy just wants to hear those tones and not everything else is the only real world concept behind notching out targets above and below that integer?..anyway, if its a known sized fresh loss in a specific area, who cares? Easy peasy...

Any old body should be able to find it notch or no with just about any rig out there that half way works? I guess a bit more reasoning behind your question is needed for us to give you a better answer...,

Foxhunter, what are you up to here? Do you want to snipe Q's? Thats a cool and admirable reason to ask your question...there are people that set a goal for 5000 Q's per yr, you would do very well finding a rig that runs DP tones if thats your intent..:thumbup:
Mud.
mudpuppy thanks for the info...And yes I'm looking to snipe quarters..I am going to check into the DP tones thing...I know alot of the garretts will do this but looking for fast processing I think...Thanks:cheers:

foxhunter said:
mudpuppy thanks for the info...And yes I'm looking to snipe quarters..I am going to check into the DP tones thing...I know alot of the garretts will do this but looking for fast processing I think...Thanks:cheers:

Quarters are the easiest of the US coins to "snip" or "cherry pick" a certain item as some refer to it. But I still don't see a need to have the detector silent on everything else in the higher conductive range but quarters. But if anyone on here that could give a person lessons on "Fast Grabbing Clad" then "mud" would be the one for sure.

I have found that with ALL my ID machines over the years,
Teknetics 9000/B
Teknetics Mark I
Fisher CZ7a-Pro
Fisher Coinstrike (2)
Whites XLT
Teknetics Omega
Fisher ID Edge
that the Quarter ID numbers were the easiest to cherry pick, but the times I ever felt the need to leave the copper pennies, dimes, and the conductive numbers above quarters was in a rush at the end of a not so good of a day when I'm trying to fast grab a few extra quarters, other than that those $5.00 rolls of dimes spend as well for me as those $10.00 rolls of quarters, but I've found that the number range between copper pennies and clad dimes is just to close to sort out with a metal detector, so along with the dimes you get the pennies as well.

Another problem with just "Fast Grabbing" Quarters is your going to miss a LOT of coin spills, (with quarters)
Quarter stacks = left,
Quarters with a couple pennies and a nickel = Left, (quarters with any other coin collection with it, left).
Now for people like me that may wonder into an area where someone has cherry picked the quarters is GREAT! the left coins spills with quarters and all those pennies, dimes, halves, and jewelry they leave is mine for the taking!
I agree that a quest for quarters only is a worthy one!

Thank You for not even trying to clean an area. You get $5.00 in quarters :clapping: and then I go in and get $2.00 in quarters, $2.50 in dimes, $1.10 in pennies, $.40 cents in nickels, $.50 cents in halves, and $100.00 for that ring you skipped over :detecting: Hey we're both happy :goodnight:

Mark

Thanks HPH! I got your PM with your writings...gonna have to read it a few times, outstanding advice and dirt observations!:clapping::please:

Foxhunter, definitely go with a 70 if you really want lots of clad fast...If this is your intent, then go and read as many posts as you can about it....thanks to Zeekeyes many years ago!...Most are pretty funny! :rofl:

You need a screwdriver, very loose pants, and do the 'stoop n stab' method instead of kneeling down..if you go 10 swings without a ping, you are in the wrong place...you need to find the LANE which should contain 10 pings per swing! You have to think speed, on all counts, very fluid movements in your swing, stride, and retrieve..if it takes you more than 15 seconds from first ping to pouch, you are going too slow! So you cant use your PP button, or a hand held, or a trowel, or look at the TIDs, or think too much, or even look at your finds,..Just ping, pop, pocket, swing, repeat!.

You want to hear it all like Mark said...you WANT those big spills and multidenom stacks since your 'coin per hr' count goes through the roof when you pull a lot of coins out of the same hole...50coins/hr at least..all of those old posts will contain detailed descriptions of efficient quick brooming methods, gear, and settings...even helpful location tips...its a fun way to get to know a rig, and humans travel patterns etc... speed hunting is just one subset skill within this Big Sport, but it does give a guy a quick understanding of the overall concept on account of you will be digging lots of targets, and that compresses the learning curve as you venture into other subset skills...

There is nothing that compares to a 70 for this quick brooming, I would not even attempt it with my Pro...gotta have those DP tones and hunt by sound, with a light fast rig...it takes too long to use your eyes, and is too tiring looking at that little screen..:thumbup:....site locating/reading and a really fast retrieval method is KEY...plus, you need a little tune to hum along in your head, something upbeat, (like Mackelmore's 'Thrift Shop' only without the naughty words) 'I'm out to pop some clad, only got 20 dollars in my pocket, I I'm a huntin', lookin for some treasure, this is freaking awesome"..."Whipped into a totter on a fresh clad run, pulled out the 70 had her set on stun, stoopin and stabbin, chip kickin and grabbin, racking up clad like a stone cold madman" Think of yourself as a stingray scuttling along in the shallows grabbing shrimp as the tide is going out!:lmfao:
Mud

Mudpuppy said:
There is nothing that compares to a 70 for this quick brooming

I'll say the F-75 is right there as well. I can do a factory default and start vacuuming clad in seconds. It's a great coin shooter in parks and carnival sites.

But to notch/discriminate only quarters? Where's the fun in that?

Rings, dimes, nickels - I like all these things. Where I hunt the F-75 pulls nickels out of heavily detected areas that other machines/detectorists miss or skip.

And I have pulled Susan B's and Sacagawea dollars that read as quarters. ;-)