Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Floating Sifter

hunter 18

Can some one tell me if the floating sifter made out of 3'in or 4'in PVC have good flotation..??:confused:
i look at one some time a go. and it looks tome like it weight ???? some what..
and if you put a scoop of wet sand it may sink on you !????????

I have that same one and it works great but I only use it when I'm working in rocky or muddy area's no need for it in sandy area's..

Hunter here is a picture of a floating sifter like one I made back in 2007. It is very cheap and quick to make and very light. Has no metal so you can swing your MD over it to check to see if target is in it. It works great in lakes and river, but not so well in heavy surf. Wal-Mart has all the parts at a cost of around $6.00. Plastic ties small laundry basket and a swim noodle. I drilled 1/2 inch holes in the bottom of basket, it comes with 5/8 holes in sides. Also I drilled holes in the bottom of Swim Noodle so it would not hold water in its center, and spill out in my jeep. I can put 3 or 4 scoops of sand or mud before it ever starts to dip down into the water. Good luck in what ever you build. HH

This is someones eles picture it was clearer than the one I had. My basket is black in color.
[attachment 110060 addon.jpg]

That looks great PaPa :) I might make one like that.. I like my sifter but my PI sometimes picks up the metal from the screen so I don't use it unless I really have to..

well i will be a horse... hey Papa i made two but i have a inner tubes on them i just wanted somting more strong
Walmart epecials!! not bad !!!!!!!!!!!

Well i copy from one and the other and came up with this one,
no metal,, $20.00 on parts, 30min of labor

I use PVC pipe the inner diameter or a pool noodle. slide the noodle over the pvc. I cut it all to fit and use plasctic mesh, like they use in a garden. I even overlap half of the mesh it so it will catch small pieces, while the other half of the sifter lets the larger pieces go.

I started mine today. Used 4" thinwall pvc. Got a pretty shallow and sturdy feeling storage tub from Walmart. No holes yet, I'll have to drill em all. Gonna try pretty small holes at first , and see if it'll drain. Should work. I'll throw up a pic when finished.

I made this 2 years ago- It's light weight and will hold a few good scoops of sand.Since I'm from North Carolina. I call it the Carolina Sifter. It's made from a Coca Cola Plastic Crate- A dollar store Float and a few Zip ties. I also use a Nylon Braided Rope to tag it along. Also I can Back Pack it on my back to my area, since it is light weight-Goldnugget-Charlotte,North Carolina I've now added another strip of the Pink Foam on each side to keep from turning over.

Now that'a engineering and I would bet it's lite.......NIce Job...GN

I guess I have to jump in here with my "Super Sifter"!

[attachment 207236 SuperSifter2002LargeLarge.jpg]

No metal, No flat Inner-tubes, takes a large scoop-full and with the weighted cord is easily controlled in light surf, wind and current. (The white color helps my old eyes find small targets.)

I added a net bag to the rear "weighted" cord where it attaches to the screen for stowing large targets (Mostly junk!)

The screen was the bottom of a round industrial tote ( the bottom of a plastic barrel might work well) salvaged at our local recycling center and the weights were from hunting trips, so the cost was less than #10.00 for the whole thing. ( I have since this pic was made removed the Garrett's Classifier as not necessary.)

The foam floaty last 2-3 seasons depending on the amount of use and how "funky" I will let it get!

GL&HH Fellow Hunters,

CJ

Boy, I sure coulda used one this weekend, I was in all sorts of heavy gravel and Zebra mussel shells, took forever to sort it in the scoop, might just have to confiscate the waterweenies and whip one up. Good looking stuff y'all build!
Mud

You might as well just buy a new water noodle. If your kids are anything like mine , they'll just whine like crazy untill you buy them a replacement ! Let them keep the old crap , get yourself a new one !
:)
mudpuppy said:
Boy, I sure coulda used one this weekend, I was in all sorts of heavy gravel and Zebra mussel shells, took forever to sort it in the scoop, might just have to confiscate the waterweenies and whip one up. Good looking stuff y'all build!
Mud