Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Florida Gulf Fossils

thE-TRACker

These are some of my better beach finds I've eyeballed over the years while metal detecting. Notice the flint points and pottery shards in the lower left corner. There is also a hand forged brass ship spike and a couple large "dinosaur" bones . Enjoy and thanks for looking !

Beautifull specimens you got there man! I will try to post my fossil pics too. This is so interesting, and specially the fact that you can do fossil hunting while coin detecting. Thank you and keep posting.

That brings back memories. When I was a kid, we would visit Grandpa and Grandma in Venice FL. Dad would take me walking along the beach and we found sharks teeth by the thousands, right after a storm was best.

n/t

Larry (IL) said:
That brings back memories. When I was a kid, we would visit Grandpa and Grandma in Venice FL. Dad would take me walking along the beach and we found sharks teeth by the thousands, right after a storm was best.
Same here! My grand parents lived a block from the beach and I was old enough to go tooth hunting by myself everyday that we visited. Always got myself a nice xmas tan. Walked by the Barnum Bailey circus folks' practice lot on the way to the beach egress.
tracker's pic shows you should always keep your eyeballs pealed for surface finds while metal detecting.

I forgot all about the Circus winter home, that was awesome and the budgie parakeets were everywhere in the campgrounds but that was 50 years ago, seems to have been a health hazard. If I only knew what a metal detector was back then :biggrin: I don't remember anyone hunting the beach with a detector, just shell and shark tooth hunters.

Same here- lots of wandering tooth hunters, but no detectors. This was in the early to mid 70's for me. I remember that there was some kind of bird that would eat the fermented red berries that were all over the place and fly/stagger around drunk (late Dec). Loved the fresh citrus. Now all those homes have been torn down and doctors offices built up.

I see a horse/bison/camel tooth, a soft-shelled turtle plate, a dugong rib, alligator scutes, and a bunch of puffer fish mouth plates. I only see one thing that looks like a turtle plate, but it's hard to be sure with the scale of the photo.

Come on down and enjoy the sun, we have plenty of sharks teeth for you ChicagoJohn ...
St Augustine Fl ... H.H. my friend ... :)

Just found this 6"x4" turtle shell fragment after hurricane Irma. Looks like a piece of the the outer edge . Notice the scales.

My brother in law lives there and we go there a couple times a year. The best day I ever had was 137 in one day. But I had to work for them.