Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Focusing on deep targets

fsdigital12

I know it's bad habit, but how could I focus on deep targets? Would I adjust the volume gain to around 17 or so?

Is it advisible?

Right now I have my gain cranked up as I know this will help push through the really deep targets...but at a lot of sites I detect there are a lot of shallow targets that I usually ignore... (things under 2 inches)

Volume Gain doesn't increase the ability to detect deep targets. It does make deep targets sound loud like surface targets. I don't care for Vol Gain to be too high - I want to know if it is deep or shallow.

The only way to get better senstivity to deep targets is to raise the Sensitivity. Auto +3 is good but if you can go to Manual Sens try to apporach the higher values (toward 30) without the detector falsing on iron (nails) and chirping indiscriminatly, then do that.

exactly, I guess I will try lowering volume gain. Mine is maxed out as I heard in doing so you won't "miss" those deeper targets, but I think judging depth would be more important to my style of hunting thus trying lower gain.

Gain at 17.....sens. manual 25.....stock coin program...........and listen for the deep oldies!..I know the E-trac goes deeper in manual.....little noisey...but you will get used to it!

For parks or places with trash on the surface and goodies down in the 6" range I like the gain at 14, 16 at most. Works real good for MY ears. Experiment and set appropriately. What I like to do when playing with settings is find something that I'm fairly confident in, say a dime at 6", then adjust the settings and see if that is what I would want to hear.. then dig and confirm target.

You Guys are super i just got a E-Track N i is learning this stuff thanks too you all, Thanks , Mickfin

For me having gain low does two things, first it lets me differentiate between deep and shallow targets, second it lets me know 'hey, this target is deep, and despite being a less than ideal signal, maybe I should investigate'

So lower gain equals fainter deep targets but better differentiation between shallow and deep, correct?
Higher gain makes all targets louder but harder to differentiate shallow or deep, right?
I think that is what I got from Andy's book.

I guess Im in the minority. I like to run my gain high and and just glance at the depth meter, unless its a zincoln Im probably going to dig it anyway. Focusing on deep targets isnt really a bad habit, for me its where most of my good targets are found (beaches excluded).

In a Trashy park I would think lower sensitivity lets the ETRAC run more stable and let the discrimination work better. I think I read in Andy's book a setup in a part he ran like an Auto -2 .

As you will find more goods close to junk than trying to find really deep stuff as 90% of your coins are 6" or less.

I run gain around 20, sensitivity in manual just to where the chattering, if any, is barely noticeable, and a slightly modified relic screen in Conductive in most places. Deeper stuff is still pronounced, but quiet, and the ground clutter, iron pieces, and junk noise is usually just at the point of being broken up signals. In park and newer populated areas with a setting like this I have noticed that great sounding 12-45 thats a 6-8 inch signal and loud as can be is a can, no more guessing.

Assuming you are running in auto - Listen for a solid repeatable "clunk".

Isolate it and then run your sensitivity up manually and watch that clunk turn into a repeatable tone.

You will either dig a very deep large target or a shallow tiny target.

Crawl through your area.

FWIW, IMO,
Deep targets? My specialty! LOL!:devil:

Try sticking with the factory default gains at first then; hi/max man. sens., open mask or min. discim., look for 90 deg. two ways and just enable 'deep'.
Keep a sharp eye when that erratic-goofy target ID causes the depth indicator to bottom out.....then get ready to dig deep and dig all those.

Sooner or later, i guarantee a foot deep coin(s) will be liberated, if its there.

The settings are very important - but if a site has the potential of giving up some real nice ones - the best way I've found to find the older / deeper targets is to ...

Hunt very slow - crawl - sometimes so slow that your swinging while standing still - then just take one step ahead at a time.
I listen for the higher pitched chip ( I run in 2TF ) and then wiggle in on the target from a few different directions and see if the target ID numbers remain fairly constant.
Then decide if it's a dig or no dig target.

I've found hundreds of old coins using this method - that myself and others have pasted over by swinging to fast !

Good Luck !

PS - Most, but not all old targets are deep - so don't pass them over because you think their just clad coins.
I've found Seated, Barber's, Large Cents, etc. - as shallow as 1" to 3".

E-TRAC-OHIO said:
.........PS - Most, but not all old targets are deep - so don't pass them over because you think their just clad coins.
I've found Seated, Barber's, Large Cents, etc. - as shallow as 1" to 3".

Yep, not all oldies are a foot deep!
I once found a 1900 Barber dime on a river shore that was less than a 1/4" deep in the mud.