Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

For the e-trac and explorer owners here

Ted S

For you folks that own the e-trac and Explorers... Did you change to the Equinox and put your other machine in the closet as a back up? How was the learning curve? I am struggling a bit with my Explorer right now. The biggest problem is my arm is starting to act up. So the weight savings would be a plus! If I buy the Equinox it would be a 600. Thanks everyone and HH! Ted

Personally after 2 months with my 800 I sold my E-Trac and never looked back.

Swore by my E-Trac for 5 years.

I sold off my E-Trac after 1 year with the CTX because I never touched the E any more. Now I have the EQX I dont use the CTX. I'm "keeping it as a backup" but I really think its going to get sold before long.

Yes, its a completely different machine from your FBS so there will be a learning curve. Its also going to be a joy to swing after using the explorer.

Ted,

I've used the Explorer since it first came out, ditto with the Etrac Never got a CTX, just too bulky for me.

Now I have an Equinox. I haven't touched my Explorer or Etrac since I got my 800. You will love the Equinox and so will your swinging arm.

I'm a Safari user, and on the fence about getting the Nox. Thinking about saving up over the winter and taking the plung :shrug:

Sold my Etrac got a Deus because of awful tennis elbow then picked up the nox 800 my elbows never felt better!!!

Well...I went and did it!! I ordered a 600 from a Findmall sponsor! I hope this is user friendly and goes as deep as everyone says! Thanks everyone!:detecting:

Ted....... takes about a year before you start really knowing the Explorer...... not so much of a learning curve for the ET/CTX out of the box.

Much simpler to use, you should have no problem. Not a lot of settings to mess with once you set up your bins and tones. You have sensitivity and recovery once you get it dialed in on the settings you want......... its grab and go.

Thanks Dew! I have read many of your threads! I am a coinhunter. Crops are coming out so I have to take a crash course. Ground is nice and damp. Thanks everyone!:detecting:

I did a good bit of field hunting back in Ind. I had a couple of old atlas that showed the buildings and old roads....... wealth of info as to where the old barns and home sites were along rerouted roads. You did a lot of horse stuff........ but those 100+ year old homes dont have the modern trash. They are also..... normally virgin sites. Some might require that 6" coil to work once you use the large coil to get past all that iron AND HOT ROCKS. Another good location for field hunting and those maps is where railroad run. They showed the old railroad stops....... and schools. The Nox should work well....... even if you dont get the depth its fast recovery will find shallow stuff missed in trash from nulling constantly. Id try BOTH programs...... one maybe better for what you are doing than the other depending on site.

I honestly don't know if having a background in previous FBS models will help you out with the Equinox or not. I think the best approach to this unit is to look at it for what it is...an entirely new thing...and that you will be starting from scratch on a lot of things. In my opinion, some people got the Equinox and didn't even give it a chance when they saw it was different than their eTrac or CTX. They just automatically assumed that because it wasn't the same, that it wasn't as good. I'm not the guy that is going to tell anybody that their opinion should match mine, and that they are wrong for not believing what I believe...so take that as just my observation of it all. I had both the eTrac and CTX and sold both of them. I actually sold the CTX first and hung onto the eTrac so that I could kinda get a comparison between the Nox and it. I saw immediately that I liked the Nox better....just in the way it handled my soil and responded to targets that the eTrac couldn't see (speaking mostly for relics...but deep coins too).

Some have said that the Equinox is a Jack of all trades but a master of none. I also disagree with that statement. It all comes down to soil conditions and sites you choose to hunt. For me, I do a little Civil War relic hunting, freshwater jewelry hunt, and on occasion if the opportunity presents itself, I will go look for some old coins but those aren't really my thing. Of course, once or twice a year I will venture to a saltwater beach and spend a few hours of vacation seeing what I can come up with. For me...the Nox is the perfect unit for all of that and I can't think of any other detector that I would rather have to do any of those specific things either...even as a stand alone unit for say, relic hunting. If I had any thoughts that there was something better, I would be using it. That's just how I am. I'm not going to use a detector that would limit me or hinder me from finding what I seek to find LOL.

It will be interesting! I drove around this afternoon and noticed the beans are out of a site that has yielded a lot of coins over the years! Also reafirmed permission to hunt a few spots! I am going to keep my SE...and the deal to sell my Eagle Spectrum fell through...

You will dig some coins and stuff when you first use the Nox: that's just how it is with this machine.
But you'll also 'probably', dig 'a ton of iron' and then run out of 'easy coins!'

I am specifically referring to open farmland here.

Sure, the weight saving is great and is definitely less fatiguing than the other FBS machines.

I had 'an epiphany' during the week. Was on open farmland on a buddy's permission/s and the weather was good and I had on just a light jacket long sleeved but no long sleeve T-shirt and my elbow 'bone joint' became agitated by the hardness of the E Trac' V-shaped arm rest cup! So I tried to carry on and 'lifted' the detector so my bone wouldn't 'grate' on the hard plastic! Returning home later that evening I set about fitting a piece of soft shearling into the arm cup (velcro pieces) and it's a dream.

Where I am going with this is just to say, I Sold my Nox600 and have reverted to my E Trac solely due to the trusted tones it produces
It's deep enough for me as well.

Some of the time, on open farmland, I didn't know where I was half the time with the tones from the Equinox?

Ive not hunted with the Nox except a couple of times up North... but there was a lot going on with tones. The Explorers and ET...... the thing i had to learn was modulation. You had to train your ear NOT to just listen for the loud coin tones. There is a lot more going on in those back ground tones that can net you some very good targets especially field hunting. The Nox IMO offers very little modulation....... its like running the Explorer on full 10 gain where everything ...... even the tiny stuff and iron minerals come thru at the same tone level. Not bad for trash ...... but in open areas i preferred more modulation listening for deeper targets where the old stuff was. After a few hours with the Nox you can get complacent..... zombie like just listening to high tones or high freq. It all becomes noise. So in a way that slower recover on the EXp kind of helped in some areas. So for me ...... id work on things that can reduce the NOISE..... no threshold or lower the volume on bins like iron. If you are just looking for coins......... which a lot of people say they are.... then why run AM? KNOW the TIDs you are looking for and reduce some of the noise by disc out more targets. Funny thou....... ive known a lot of coin hunters that in all honesty ..... dig a lot of targets just to see what they are knowing they arent anywhere near a coin signal lol. I believe Andy Sabisch highly recommended pattern hunting when looking for gold on the beach in some of his books. I see it all the time for new beach hunters......... listening for CLAD then wondering why they didnt get gold.

My 600 should be here any day. I was wondering if Andy did a book. Also does anyone know if there is an aftermarket instruction owners manual or do I kill the wife's printer printing out all of those pages?:surrender:

The Minelab Equinox Series "From Beginner to Advanced" by Clive Clynick is one book. It has some helpful information.

I would still print out the Minelab manual. There is a ton of information and instructions in it that you would want to know. Clive's book breaks some of this down and gives some good explanations too make it easy to understand some of the concepts but I think you would want the full manual. I printed it out and put it in a notebook.

Some guys took a Memory stick to a fancy print works and did a laminated book version!

Andy has 'reached out' to users to assist him in the usual manner - credits these people usually.
No word on when he'll be ready to launch the new book?

Meantime, just use it and learn on your own and chime in here for anything you might need to know?
A lot of knowledge on here!