Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Found an 1890 Lighter

I was able to get out yesterday for 5 hours. It was sooooooo hot in the sun that at times I had to go & detect under a tree just to get out of the direct sunlight. Went through alot of water & Gatorade's. at this park, I found 2 Indians, 1890 & a 1896, & a unreadable Buffalo Nickel. What at first I assumed was a piece of metal junk, this morning under closer inspection & cleaning, I found it was an 1890 Reliable Pocket Lamp Lighter. Too Bad about the condition on the inside, but I am ecstatic now about this cool find. The lighter was 8" down, & the Indians & Buffalo were between 6 & 7 inches down. The Buffalo came in at 12-11,12, & the Indians at 12-23 & 12-31.

I initially had my volume gain at 26, but every signal sounded the same & I wanted to concentrate on deeper signals.After finding a deep signal, I settled on a volume gain at 16 after testing the signal & knowing how I wanted a deep signal to hear. With a slow swing speed, the softer signals came through & the machine did what I wanted it to do.

Very Cool and exciting find.

Congrats!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=320955276580&nma=true&rt=nc&si=pBpqEIGT2rp0IL6Ql%252Bdco6rPM%252Bk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_3073wt_1346

Funny, I think I found the thumb wheel to that lighter (or similar) not too long ago! Thought it might have been a part to a clock or something. I will have to dig it out for you. I think you just solved the mystery.

Good job on the gain setting...that's the way to get it set correctly and 16 seems far more reasonable than a setting of twenty something. Ear fatigue is a big problem and who would want to hear every target regardless of depth at the same volume? Lowering the gain adds another dimension of information to the audio signal. This is important because as you are aware, even on this machine with it's faster processor, better screen, newer features, and enhanced DSP algorithms, audio is still "king." Set Fast OFF, Deep OFF, and lower your gain for optimal performance in most conditions. It's important to learn to hunt by audio and then glance at the screen for secondary verification of the target.

Very nice find Don.

That lighter is one cool find Don, congrats.

Randy

Those are great finds, Don!!

Thanks for giving numbers too!!

how did you get the age of the lighter,,,,, very nice BTW,,,,,
,-and to "Erik in NJ",,,
I want to hear ALL the signals as loud as I can, deep, shallow,,,, all of them,,,, then I will decide by clarity and repeatability if I want to dig,,, depth is not a big factor to me as I can find things old shallow and deep,,, but only if I hear them,,,, just the way I do it, to each his own !!!! HH!!

Thank you for the responses.

In regards to the age of the lighter, I looked up the words on the front of the lighter online & here is a little more info I found.

Reliable Pocket Lamp

This is one of the earliest pocket lighters - almost a "pre-lighter", if you consider it in terms of what we now think of as a lighter. c. early 1890s

This was a semi-automatic amorce (literally, "blasting") cap lighter - the amorce cap being used for ignition. Cap pistol caps can still be used by modifying them for this type lighter. The caps were spooled onto the bottom post (in one of the additional pictures) and fed through the top where they were ignited. A wick came out of a fuel chamber which used kerosene, gasoline, or naptha as fuel (lighter fluid, today, but there was no such thing at that time). Somewhat similar models were made at the time by Koopman's Magic Pocket Lamp and Little Gem.

That is the kind of stuff that I love to find - it's not all just about the coins and rings! I run my gain at 16 as well, I did that on the E-Trac as well. In the parks I hunt depth is everything - a 4" loud 12-35 is a screwcap - a soft 7" 12-35 is an injun - just makes sifting through those trashy areas a lot easier.