Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Found My Dream Car!

William-NM

(note: I am trying ImageShack because I don't like the changes at PhotoBucket, but it seems pretty slow tonight)

Well, I finally got the convertible of my dreams! It's just a 2 seater, but lots of room under the hood for plenty of horsepower! I was working around a ghost town school site (pure misery - rusty chicken wire, bits of plaster walls with metal backing, nails, modern party trash...). The AT Gold had the 5" x 8" coil on and she was running hot. I just knew this was a good signal, and sure enough, about 6 inches down, I saw a fender, heh.
dscn5793s.jpg
dscn5788f.jpg

It was a car kind of week - got an old Ford key, a GMAC Plan Consumer Credit lapel pin, and logos for a Buick, Mercedes-Benz, and Studebaker gas cap. I think I'll glue the Mercedes one on the old Plymouth and see if it increases in value!
dscn5811m.jpg

I found a couple of tokens: One of the presidential ones (Cracker Jack?) with James Madison, our 4th pres. on it, and another brass one from Chicago (per token database) - It's had a hard life, but reads "Loaned for Amusement Only" and "Property of O.K. Vender".
dscn5803d.jpg
dscn5800r.jpg

Here's an old root cellar hole that I always think I'm going to find something in, heh, and the general area:
dscn5792k.jpg
dscn5791q.jpg

I found a couple of Mexican nickels - a toasted '61 and minty '63, both on Cinco de Mayo, of course. Got three wheaties; a 1920 D, a 1927 D, and a 1954 D. The first two will be soaking for a while!
dscn5809t.jpg
dscn5805h.jpg

A few toys & marbles:
dscn5815q.jpg

And a neat makeup box - can't call it a compact- it's 4" across. The second photo has lead spills and copper specimens along with the brass stuff.
dscn5823d.jpg
dscn5832a.jpg

Here's a miner's carbide lantern reflector (with striker wheel) in the center, a couple of pocket knives and some plated silverware.
dscn5822c.jpg

I found a heavy old iron and trivet for it (with American Foundry logo), a large round (harness?) buckle, and some toy (?) gun parts.
dscn5836b.jpg

Wasn't really bottle hunting, but picked up a couple. The most interesting one would have been the blob-top with the stopper in it - too bad it's broken. (you pushed the stopper wire down into the neck to drink it).
dscn5841c.jpg

That's it for today- thanks for looking & best of luck in yout hunts!

I am always amazed at the amount, variety, and quality of the targets you retrieve in such difficult and beautiful places!~ You Sir, are doing it right! :thumbup:
Mud

That is a great haul of relics tokens and coins. The best part is the surroundings you were in for the hunt. Looks like a scrub pine area. If there are wheats there must be a few silvers around somewhere. I certainly would revisit that site again. Maybe get the small Garrett super sniper coil and hit it hard once again.

Great post, I enjoyed it. Your 30's convertible is really a nice find.

Good luck-------------happy hunting.

Thanks for all the kind words!
Pax: No recent nuggets :(
Senda: I'd love to take that beauty on a road trip - bet it was a cushy ride!
Mud & Sparkster: I have to confess that I just like hanging out up in the ghosts- I'd go even if I never found anything :lol: You're right, there's got to be some old silver up there amongst the wheaties -- I was up there two days ago and having a slow day. Just as the sun was getting ready to set, I found a silver military (WWII Efficiency/Productivity) pin and a few wheats in a dry wash, so I've got a place to start next time. Now, if I could just remember to hit the store on the way up instead of coming home - I always look like pigpen!

William, what do you do with all the metal forks, copper pieces, brass, and lead you find? Scrap it??

Nice car btw.

HH

Hi Roscue -
Anything without at least some minimal collectible or historical interest eventually gets recycled. All the tableware is hanging out in a basket until I sort it out - some will be spoon rings, a few others will get re-plated and used or sold -the rest will get recycled. I collect much more recycling that I don't photograph - It (mostly copper & brass) brings in about $1000/year. I just think of it as gas money & it paid my utilities this winter, too. Works for me. Some stuff hangs around until it gets nudged out by something better. I haven't sold any lead yet - the old lead is said to have more than scrap value (google "low alpha lead".). I haven't figured that out, though, so I have a couple hundred pounds of lead, heh.

That is a good variety of items in that hunt.
Congrats on those finds.

Great assortment, very nice pictures. It is really cool to see what comes out of those mining areas of the southwest.

Cool finds man. You got some nice pieces there!