Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Found these at my 1930s house. Anyone know what some of these things are? (Specifically the ring looking things)

ChaytonR

20240113_230625~2.jpg

If you are referring to the 2 items at upper left, they look like hog ring clamps.

ChaytonR, we were just answering your question with our opinions. Trash is trash, regardless of the property? Suspect, though, your 30's property has an older coin or two, hiding. HH jim tn

The two Items on the Right are parts of an old style Mason Lid Jar cap
top one is a Metal cap and the white ceramic item was inside the cap.

They used big red flat rubber rings as a sealing gasket.
The lid screwed down on the jar and the gasket was pinched by the ceramic glass in the cap and the glass rim of the jar.
My Grandmother has quite a few left over in her basement.
Also there were veggies in some of the jars. Some rotten because the gasket eventually leaked.

Then after that for a time they sealed the jars by heating Paraffin wax up and pouring it into the jar lid- mostly for Jams I think.
I opened many a jam jar by breaking out the wax.
The eventually the system came about that is widely used today. The ring and lid.

The Mason Jar Lid is zinc, the porcelain piece as stated is the liner for the lid. Newer jars use brass based rings with thin lids that have the rubber seal made into the perimeter of the lid. My wife cans and has some of the older zinc ones from her grandmother with the blue/green jars they were used on. Wax sealing not a safe way for standard canning as there is no way to confirm the jar has remained sealed, can't tell until you break the wax out and find mold underneath it. Wife still makes that ever year.