Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Found V3i Nirvana!

I posted earlier about giving the V3i another go. In my previous life in Anchorage, Alaska the V3i was plagued with EMI problems. The machine really appeals to my inner detector nerd, but I gave up on it after three separate units all failed miserably in parks and schoolyards in Anchorage. Main problem was buried power lines cutting across all the public spaces compounded, I suspect, by F22 communication gear at nearby Elmendorf AFB. I have a Bigfoot coil and need a detector to run it, and ended up sticking with my trusty DFX. It is my main turf jewelry detector.

I moved to Reno last year and just picked up another V3i in the hope Reno would be more inviting as regards EMI. I was thrilled to find my new V runs very well. So the other day I give the Bigfoot a spin. I find out two things about Reno. First, the ground here is pretty severe and so the Bigfoot is not running as smooth as it did in Anchorage. Second, they grow the grass deep in some places here and so I was not getting the coil close enough to get solid signals. The Bigfoot is a fairly shallow coil anyway, and grass pushing it two-three inches off the ground was not helping.

I am looking for shallow screwdriver popping targets so not a huge issue, but tonight I decided to switch to the 6"x9" Eclipse to get a bit better hits on the targets, though now I am covering far less area per sweep. Still just sorting stuff out, and getting the V3i tuned the way I like. So far started with Beach Program, turned off Salt and am running regular three freq mode, with pennies on up disced out but quarters notched in. Basically I am digging aluminum but will take easy quarters or even the occasional dollar coin.

So I am going along enjoying my new color display and digging aluminum reaquainting myself with responses when I get a low signal, bouncing around 4-8 VDI but breaking a bit higher at times up around 19. Kind of foil but maybe can slaw, but hey, I just dig them, and up pops a ring! I think it was tilted giving the funky response, and when I got it in my hand I felt the weight and thought "Platinum"!!

Sure enough, an older men's platinum band, 9.5 grams. I have not dug a pocketful of stuff yet with this V3i and was really just playing around and I strike platinum! Well, that does it, V3i stays and DFX goes. About time is all I can say. I am really looking forward to getting back into turf jewelry detecting again after a summer of gold prospecting and the V3i is going to just make it all that much more fun.

Congratulations Steve.

I look for park hunters to move to low conductor hunting more and more as the silver coin finds dwindle down to nothing. A real pain in the arse digging all that can slaw but the rewards are very good when the slaw and tab signals turn out to be precious metals. :thumbup:

Fantastic! Congrats on wining the low conductor jackpot! I've had my V3i for 3 years now and have gotten to where I'm comfortable with it and it's adjustability is not overwhelming at all, just part of its charm.
It's so good at hunting as you describe, looking for the good$. Glad you are giving it a go again.
Continued good luck to you!
HH - Bruce

Yes good luck. I've run out of old siver sites close to me. I guess I'll have to try for the low conductors too and the V3i is super for those. :clapping:

Personally I find it easier to detect a ring than an 1800s coin. Every silver dug is one less silver, but jewelry constantly replenishes. No good jewelry location can ever be said to be worked out. No need for plugging either, a screwdriver is all you need. But the bottom line a DFX and Clive Clynicks books are a great way to start. The V3i is better yet. I sure like that color display. Nothing else comes close... I wish my Aussie machine had a display like that!

I,had high hopes for my V3i with a bigfoot coil for jewelry and quarters, but found that having $1000 (second hand value) detector and a $400 coil for occasional forays didn't make sense for me - they went to good homes.

I kept a bigfoot for the old 6.59 kHz machines however and today I got a cherry Eagle Spectrum to drive it. With the detector and coil I've tied up about $300 so I can afford to experiment. So far I am encouraged.

I found what I thought was a gold nugget ring that turned out to be a heavy gold plated junk metal. Rang out low vdi like the real deal but still fake.