Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Frequency/Target Difference

BHNugget

I was at the park again after work tonight and got a jumpy VDI in the 60s.The target pinpointed hardest in the 7.5 frequency and turned out to be a wheat penny pulled from about 6".Before I got it dug out of the hole all the way (but very close to it) the DX1 was still hitting hardest in 7.5.I recovered the wheat and tossed it on the ground and ran the V over it ,just to find it was still hitting hardest in 7.5.As far as I can remember every wheat Ive dug has hit the hardest in 2.5 when getting close to it in the hole.Any idea why this one it strongest in 7.5?

The wheats I have found with 7.5 dominate were well worn. I noticed that all of the Indians I have found were 7.5 as well.

Most all of the wheats I hit here in Indiana hit with the green 2.5 and the red 7.5 equal. There have been very few that have hit in the green 2.5 dominate or the red 7.5 dominate but it has happened. I am not sure of what causes this, maybe the wear like Larry says or maybe the minerals in the ground mixed with the coin composition itself. :shrug:

Is there green deposits on the Wheat? Where you near any evergreen or spruce/pine trees?

You might want to go back and re check the dig site. Is there a secondary target?

Types of root systems do have a huge impact on how not only the frequencies respond but the VDI's also. Been digging red colored wheats again as low as mid teen VDI's and in 7.5? (25 of 'em in maybe 25 sq. feet.) Ran across this same type of reads with my DFX years ago.....same species of tree....Mountain Ash? Very acidic ground and a lot of water movement.

CyberSage said:
Is there green deposits on the Wheat? Where you near any evergreen or spruce/pine trees?

You might want to go back and re check the dig site. Is there a secondary target?

Hey jack.There wasnt any of the green build up on this penny,it came out of the hole pretty deposit free,although there were some pine trees in the vacinity.It just kinda struck me as odd to hit haerdest in 7.5.As Majic stated,when first getting these signals the 2.5 and 7.5 are almost even before digging,but most of them Ive dug will hit hardest in 2.5 when using the DX1 to pinpoint them.This morning I turned on the V and and ran a few of the wheats I had handy by the D2 in the air.Sure enough some were 7.5 dominant while the majority were 2.5 dominant.Most of these arent worn severely,I can still make out the wheat detail on the backsides.

I am interested to see what your readings will be if you try the ground probe on it and see what frequency in GP has the highest percentage... just curious to see if it gives you more a more accurate reading, I think it will. You may also want to try doing a probe reading of some clean ground as near as possible to the target and then over the target... Zero the probe in the air first on both the ground and on the target... I bet you that the correct frequency will be dominant on the ground probe screen... but i'm not sure... i'll be interested to see what you find.

Julien

Try this simple check.

measure the THICKNESS (in milli-metres) of each coin, log that and its dominant frequency band.

That should illustrate the answer for you..........TheMarshall.

P.S.

Post some of the data if you will, to help others appreciate matters.

I have wheat cents that will read as high coin, and I have wheat cents that will read as zinc cents, and I have wheat cents that will read as square tabs. I think the year they were made is the difference. They read this way both in and out of the ground. The difference has to be in the metalic makeup of the blank used for that year's pennies.

Give us the year of the wheatback and we can see if we have one and tell you how they read on our units.

HH
Mike

Three different compositions of Wheats. 1909-58 same with two exceptions. (Steels and War Casing.) Definitely environmental causes once you get away from those.

nw1886 said:
Three different compositions of Wheats. 1909-58 same with two exceptions. (Steels and War Casing.) Definitely environmental causes once you get away from those.

If this was the case, why do post 1863 Indian Head Pennies have a VDI of around 48, while Wheat Cents tend to be in the 65 to 76 range? Both are Bronze (95% copper, 5% tin and zinc). In my opinion, the older Wheat Cents tend to stay more in the lower VDI range than the later bronze Memorial Cents. I think that there is more to it, such as the minor variations in the relief such as from the Lincoln Memorial vs. wheat stalks???

I think it could be just the "skin effect" picking up on environmental extraction of surface content. Plus.....suppliers of sheet or planchets did supply "off" content variations a bit and some content is more susceptible to ground acids . I just took Indians from my main (non-ground recovery) set and they all read the same as Wheats? Stands to reason I think.

I do some conservation of coins professionally ,and in doing that, see variations in what I can do from coin to coin. (Especially in cents from early to mid twenties.) I have to really be confident of a procedure (and whats already going on with a coin) to even mess with copper. It can bite back! Red and red/brown copper is best left alone but some guys do go there....leans to unethical as it rarely is stable long term. It's one thing to conscientiously remove residue or surface discoloration......quite another to chemically or mechanically alter a coin and leave something fake on the surface. The ground has none of these considerations!