Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Frustrated V-3 swinger

moose

I've had my V-3 now for two weeks now and cant find anything deeper than 4". I've been hunting a park that in the mid 1800's was a cemetery and in 1914 the city began moving the cemetery to a new location. After finishing the move in 1915 the city converted the old cemetery into a park. It is loaded with iron debris and a good amount of silver and Indian heads. I've used the M-6 for two years and found lots of history with it. After realising that I was addicted, I bought what I was hoping would be a very long time companion in my addiction and hoping this would get me deeper and targets ID'ed more accurately.
I don't know if I'm holding my face wrong or what, but this machine passes everything 5" and deeper. I played with the expert menu to get familiar with programming in each adjustment or category. The only thing I changed was the VDI accept and tones. This thing cant move 18" without throwing a silver tone at me. I work the tone area back and forth, turning 90 on target and work it more with all signs disappearing. I dig anyway with not so good results.
What makes this whole problem a big problem is my father in-law 40 yards away holding up his barber quarter and E-trac to show me his find "again". I'm glad I don't have a concealed weapons permit. :ranting:
Is there a program out there that might help me?

If the signal is disappearing when you rescan the area, it's a false signal. When you dig anyway, you'll either find nothing at all or maybe a deep piece of iron. You might try turning your RX gain down, or your sensitivity, to see if that cuts down on the falsing. If you can get it to run stable with little falling, you'll find deeper targets. You should have no trouble hitting coins at 6", 8", or more.

It could be possible that you have a bad coil, but my guess is that the program you are using might be set too hot for your ground. Two weeks with the V3 is not much time to understand all of the settings yet, and I'm sure as you hunt and adjust the programs to your conditions, the depth will come. For now though, you want to get stability first and that will let you hear deeper targets right away. Try reducing your Gain and Sensitivity.

Way too early to get frustrated friend. Try lowering your filters to 5Hz and slowing your recovery delay. Be patient and don't worry about the guy with the E-Trac. Watch how he hunts and observe his swing speed and methods. Next time he gets a good hit ask him to let you know and test and adjust you V3 over the target. Learn from your hunting buddies and always celebrate their finds and be happy for them. You will be raking it in in no time. The V3 is a capable machine and will go head to head with the E-Trac. I had one of those hunts myself not to long ago. It happens to all of us. Congratulations on your purchase of the your new V3. It's a great machine.

Jack

Thank you all for input. I'm thinking Larry(IL) maybe right with running hot. I tried running deep silver program and thought I was directly above a silver mine. I know each machine is different and requires allot of patience and time, but I believe what I am lacking the most is knowledge.The owners manual on the V-3i just skims the surface in explanation of each program and settings.

As with every hunt with my friends, I always get excited with there finds. If you only knew my father in-law you would understand. He is an awesome hunting partner and teacher. He's the one who got me interested in detecting.

My M-6 has the D-2 coil Larry, this should fit the 3i for a test right? I'm gonna hit the park again today with a few minor adjustments to rx and gain. What is the purpose of the recovery gain?

Thanks again all for the tips.

The Deep silver program is a pretty noisy program,one I wouldnt recomend untill you get a lot of time with the beast.One thing that I would add to running to hot is to make sure it is ground balanced very good. I feel this may be one of the most over looked things of all with the V3 along with to much RX and Sense.Make sure the ground is very clean where you GB and bob it untill the V3 becomes Quiet just the threshold will be heard steady as coil is moved up and down (bobbed).This might take 4 bob's or it could be as many a 20 bobs of the coil.The coin and jewelery program is very capable of good depth(10 plus inches)once you learn it and what to tweek. Good Luck Yazoo

Yes, the other coil from the M6 should work as long as you do not turn on the Boost. I am just guessing that the M6 coil is not V rated and It sounds like Boost should not be used in your area anyway.

If you mean Recovery Delay, it is how fast or slow the V refreshes the information from the coil...........recovery......... and notice it is recovery DELAY, the higher the number, the more the delay and the detector has more time to process data to detect deeper targets. The lower the number, the V is refreshing faster which is better in trashy grounds. Settings of 45 to 100 are common. Keep in mind as well the the higher the numbers, the slower you should swing and the filters might be best set to 5 or 7.5 too.

You have a lot of learning to do Moose, take your time and have fun hunting, leaning as you go...... Learning a programmable detector is a lot different than learning an M6 or MXT. If I remember right, you tried a DFX a couple of years ago and quickly sold it without taking the time to learn how to use it. Give yourself at least a year for learning the V3 and start out learning the Coin and Jewelry or Hi Pro program, (stabilized) first and then to more advanced settings.

Thank you Yazoo. I just removed stock D2 and will try my M-6 D2 to confirm coil is good. I'm sure it is and it's just the lack of experience with a new machine. I also made a couple of adjustments to rx and sens. I'll give this a shot and make small adjustments.

I've read several times how important it is to ground balance properly and I make sure this is done well and sometimes often. I will post my finds for today and hopefuly with a smile.:clapping:

Hey I'm not working today so I should be smiling anyway "right"? HH

If you upgraded your coil on the M6 to a D2, fine, but the stock coil on a M6 is the conical 950. It will still work on the V3, just a little differently.

Thank you for clearing that up for me Larry. I was thinking that was what it was, but wasn't sure how to adjust it. My M-6 would display all possible targets rather quickly and I believe that is what confused me as well "the stall in info".

I'll try speeding up the recovery a little and slow the swing a touch. My wife said if I sell this one and take a loss, I wont need a metal detector to find the wedding ring. :stretcher: Besides this thing is too cool to sell," confusing " but cool.

The auto ground tracking feature appears to be the weak link of the V3 and it is causing all your problems. I have had the same issues. They are all related to the ground tracking function. Some will tell you to stand around and pump the dang thang 20 times or more until it balances. Forget that bad advice, you will spend all your time standing around trying to balance it and you'll never trust it anyway.

Turn the ground tracking feature OFF.
Then use the tracking offsets to balance it. Real fast and real easy to do. That will kill most of those silver falses you are getting, and improve your performance dramatically.

HH
Mike

Mike you lost me in the translation. Rob

I'd suggest that if you don't already have one, get yourself another detector to use when you get frustrated. That really helps me to continue with a detector that frustrates me. I hunt three or four days a week usually and I will start out with whatever detector it is that I am trying to learn and that is frustrating me. I went through the same thing trying to learn to use the Explorer. I used is a LOT for about a year in conductive sounds/multi tones and it simply overwhelmed me. I was frustrated everytime but i didn't give up. I would, however, after a couple of hours (+-) switch to another detector that I was comfortable with. At that time it was the original F75. I would immediately begin to make finds in the same ground where I found nothing with the Explorer. Finally... I switched to Ferrous sounds/multi-tones and it began to make some sense. About the same time I got the E-TRAC and there was absolutely no frustration factor with it because I set it up a lot like the F75, relic pattern, ferrous sounds/2-tones and relied on the numbers... it was and is an amazing machine.

The V3 is now my frustrating machine but I am not going to give up on it because I KNOW that it is there, it just hasn't clicked yet for me... but it will. I am sending it in this week for the V3i upgrade. I love the V3 even though it does frustrate me a little and my relief detector is now the Teknetics Omega-8000. It is light, deepseeking, has a very good TID/VDI, and is an absolute pleasure to use while I learn the V3/V3i. I still have the E-TRAC and I use it for certain hunting where it excells. I still use the F75 LTD where I think it excells and I am going to master the V3i and then I will know when and where to use it. The V3 is the most seductive detector I have ever used with it's colors, curvy humps, its tones, all the tweaks one can do, the WHP... it is a wonderful detector... I just don't understand it yet and there are places where it isn't the best choice. No one detector is going to work well at every site and for every type of hunting... but I think the V3i will probably be the one that comes closest to doing everything everywhere... once I understand it. Until then I will continue to use it a lot and swtch to something else if I get too frustrated, then i'll try again tomorrow... :detecting:

Julien

n/t

I've decided to hunt cleaner parks and schools until I get more knowledge of this machine. Like I said the old park is riddled with Iron trash and what I believe are shoe sole nails from a cobblers stand. What a difference changing the delay made, Thanks Larry. I hit the local high school where it is considerably cleaner and it banged several target at six" plus with trash near by.

I'll try switching the ground balance off and offset tracking, when I feel more confident and return to the trash filled park.

Thanks again all.
Moose

n/t

Wanted to let all know that I've taken all suggestions and implemented them. THANK YOU!!. I finally scored a 1906 IH at 5 1/4" and it made me smile. I didn't want to wrap my V3i around the next tree I came across. I still wonder sometimes if when I get the mixed hit "-40 to +87 over and over if there really isn't any silver to be had. 80% of the time "I dig" with not so good results. This is something to pay attention to, "right"?
I'm still watching my father-in law dig awesome finds with his e-trac at 7+ inches and I think it's great. You cant help but want to dig as much history as the other guy and feel confident in your detecting skills, but I'm still not sold. The 3i doesn't seem to display the actual vdi or give the tone of what is in the ground until you've swung it 15-20 times and then throws the deepest tone at you. I'm guessing its in the way I'm set up.
Thank you Julien for the advice, thankfully my son enjoys going and he currently uses my M-6, leaving me dry. I opt to hunt a cleaner park or school ground, sometimes beach, when I'm feeling frustrated.

Thanks again,

Matt