Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Full time water hunters headset connector heads up

nagov

I use my CTX as my full time water machine. I've been having some problems lately with a static type sound when bumping the headset wire, figured it was my soldering on the connector so I took the headset off and installed a new connector.... Went out yesterday and had the same problem. Testing at home the problem still existed but only when you tapped the connector. I had it as tight as I could get it but yet apparently there was a buildup of fine sand on the threads preventing it from totally seating inside the jack. Sprayed some "canned air" inside the jack and ensured the connector threads and sealing surface was clean, reinstalled and problem was gone no matter how much I wiggled the wires or tapped on the connector connection.

Just thought a heads up for those that use their machines in the water, fine sand/grit finds its way inside the jack and may eventually cause the same problem I had.

To hopefully prevent sand intrusion in the future, I applied a wrap of Teflon tape over the installed connector as a test.

Cliff

Go to the hardware store and purchase an oring to put on your connector. It will help stop the problem. Here is a photo of my water phones showing it installed on the connector of the cord.

SavingThePast said:
Go to the hardware store and purchase an oring to put on your connector. It will help stop the problem. Here is a photo of my water phones showing it installed on the connector of the cord.

Took the Teflon tape off to check the gap, just happened to have one from a Garrett waterproof connector on hand that just about is perfect.....at least it will do until I get one that fits just a bit tighter. Looks like it will work as there seems to be just enough of the jack edge to serve as a sealing surface... I was going to take some pictures of it but after seeing the condition your machine is in compared to mine, I didn't want to get embarrassed by all the comments that would come after seeing it...mine shows all the hours I have on it......

Thanks for the tip, much easier then the Teflon tape.

Cliff

no problem and lol... This is my second ctx and its only a couple months old. I actually just put its first couple scratches on it the other day and it was killing me. my family was laughing at me...I go a little overboard with my detectors...lol

nagov said:
SavingThePast said:

Took the Teflon tape off to check the gap, just happened to have one from a Garrett waterproof connector on hand that just about is perfect.....at least it will do until I get one that fits just a bit tighter. Looks like it will work as there seems to be just enough of the jack edge to serve as a sealing surface... I was going to take some pictures of it but after seeing the condition your machine is in compared to mine, I didn't want to get embarrassed by all the comments that would come after seeing it...mine shows all the hours I have on it......

Thanks for the tip, much easier then the Teflon tape.

Cliff

You don't want your detectors to go into 'detecting heaven' looking all pristine and 'brand spanking new', you want them to slide in there, all dirty, scratched up and looking like they had a helluval life!