Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

FYI - Repair costs for a "Voltage Overload" error:surprised:

3-6 years ago there were widespread electronic problems being manufactured across the board on computers, monitors, routers, microwave ovens, TVs, you name it. Federal laws force manufacturers to use lead free solder, and there was widespread problems with capacitors being faulty. I have seen dozens of Dell computers with bad Caps, (capacitors) a TV, HP laptops, two microwaves, two switches, and many HP printers go dead right after the warranty was up. Electronics became disposable, how convenient for Dell and HP, to sell you the replacement?

It could be leadfree solder on the Minelab PCB?

I'll take it to repair shop approach once she goes completely kaput on me. It's worth a shot. Maybe it is an easy fix! :drinking:

Groundscanner... I'm 100% confident it's not the ML 2900. This happened to me before I even bought that new battery.

Thank you for clearing it up about the 2900 battery...I have been using that battery since my machine was new and never an issue. Hope you get your etrac fixed ...best of luck!

LittleJohn

Back in the days of Gus, Dick & Sandy, this would never have gotten to this stage. Customer good will meant more to them and the company than making a buck on repairs. I personally visited their Las Vegas offices many times back when I was doing prototype testing for them & saw the high regard that they had for their customers; met all of the engineers who did the repairs, too and they felt the same way.

Sad to see where they have gone. All I can suggest is to try emailing someone high up in the company & see if they will do something to make this right. I wish that I could speak to someone on your behalf but Minelab has moved on to others. And if they don't, well all I can say is I sure wouldn't repair it.

Hope you get it worked out.

Bill (S. CA)

I know I'm a new guy here, but there is no such thing as unrepairable circuit board (barring major physical damage). Another hobby I'm into is pinball. You would be amazed at the repairs done to boards that simply can' t be replaced.

Chris

Stick with me here........ I purchased a brand new 25HP - 72 inch Zero turn mower years ago. Right at 25 hours of use the engine's lifters started pumping down and clattered. I checked the obvious and all was fine. I went ahead and changed the oil and filter with no success. So I called the dealer. Dealer said that the noise was normal. I said it wasn't. He then said it was the head gaskets. I said it wasn't. He didn't know I used to be an ASE master tech. But I did have to play that card. He then said he was going to call Kohler. He called me back and said Kohler was going to pay them to replace the head gaskets. So I played the game and took the mower back.
A few days later I picked the mower up and brought it home. When the engine got heat soaked here came the lifter noise. So I called him again. He then called Kohler (he says) and they said the noise was normal and there wasn't anything they would do.
I then posted on some commercial mower forums about my issue with Kohler. There were a lot of other guys that had the same problem it seems. What we found out is that Kohler knew about the problem redesigned the engine and named it the Pro model. I then directed Kohler to the thread about the lifter issues and told them I wanted the new model engine or I would join every commercial lawn site and post about my problems.
Three days later my dealer calls me. He said he had a brand new Kohler Command Pro engine for me. That was 12 years ago and the engine is still running strong! It may not always feel right but "The squeaky wheel gets the grease" Keep after them and go as high up in their company as you can.

mcluvin said:
I know I'm a new guy here, but there is no such thing as unrepairable circuit board (barring major physical damage). Another hobby I'm into is pinball. You would be amazed at the repairs done to boards that simply can' t be replaced.

Chris

Good to know Chris! Others have mentioned that I should visit a circuit board wiz locally. I found a russian site with pictures of an Etrac board taken apart. I will print them off and interview the shop owners. :poke:

The funny thing is, I've had two 4 hour hunts with it this week, and no problems. I've been extra careful in not bumping it around and I slowed way down.

KHouse, what do I have to lose!? - Good idea :starwars:

Yup...sounds like a bad voltage regulator....If it is a replaceable part, and you have a knowledgeable repairman, should not cost more than $50.00
Minelab is gonna eventually lose the American market if they keep up this BS...$80 for labor??? Who do they think they are??? Auto Dealers do not charge that much for labor costs!

HH,

DiggerODirt said:
...$80 for labor??? Who do they think they are??? Auto Dealers do not charge that much for labor costs!

HH,

Umm, that or more

Actually mechanics charge $100 to $120 an hour in my parts(northcentral north dakota). I would go the local whiz route and if it doesn't work save up for a new with warranty one you can get as cheap as sending your previously used one to minelab. Just my $.02.

DiggerODirt said:
Yup...sounds like a bad voltage regulator....If it is a replaceable part, and you have a knowledgeable repairman, should not cost more than $50.00
Minelab is gonna eventually lose the American market if they keep up this BS...$80 for labor??? Who do they think they are??? Auto Dealers do not charge that much for labor costs!

HH,
I beg nto differ with you on that one....The local chevy dealer here charges 120.00 an hour mechanical, and the local ford dealer charges 93.00 per hour mechanical.......NGE

I got an explorer I have used for years before I got my Etrac. I was going to send it in because the pinpoint button hase been sticking. The machine still works great and figured it would make a great back up . I may have to rethink sending it in. I hate to imagine what it would cost just to have the pinpoint button worked.

Just the button cannot be replaced, they have to replace the whole touchpad.....YIKES on the cost.......nge

So from what I'm reading, after 3 years you have a disposable detector. I don't think minelab technology has changes much since the first explorers were produced. But they do things no other can do. Maybe a faster processor and more bells and whistles have been added to the new models. So after 3 years you would be just as well off as far as repairs go with a $50 bounty hunter. They probably have a longer warranty. I was considering an etrac but instead I think I will look around for a used explorer for half the price of an etrac. When it bites the dust I will sell the coil and chunk the rest. If it last 3 years, which is their warranty, then I'm money ahead. Or better yet I may need to look at a whites v3i. Minelab will keep doing this crap as long as the public puts up with it. I'm not willing to.

Lets a bit wait for CTX 3030 repair spring, we will see new price records :lol:

Had the same overcharge problem once when Etrac connected to the car battery :lmfao: but after its works OK.