Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

FYI - Repair costs for a "Voltage Overload" error:surprised:

I just received an email from Minelab America. There is a problem on the main PC Board and it is not a problem that can be serviced at the component level. This would require a board replacement. The prices would be as follows:

Etrac Main PCB #5904-0139 $910.52
Labour 1.5 hours @ $80.00 per $120.00

Subtotal $1030.52

Add tax and shipping....

What a rip off...

At that point it would be cheaper to buy a used complete E-Trac for spares.

Out of warranty?
Ask them what could cause such a condition==moisture, shock?
Also ask them how they justify a cost $35 US for a stinkin' ball cap!

I have no idea. I did buy it used, but it was in mint condition when I got it. Warranty just ran out a few months ago...

I never used it all winter. It was stored safely at room temperature in my closet. It's frustrating...

There's no way I can sneak a cost like that past the wife.

How did the voltage overload occur? How was your E-Trac powered? Minelab should explain in detail how this happened so all E-Trac owners would be aware.

Were you running the 2900 battery when this happened? I know some had concerns when this battery first came out, but nothing was ever really stated about using one in a machine under warranty.

No, I was using the generic rechargeable one. I tried the AA battery pack and the ML 2900. I've received the error with all three.

At times I can hunt for a few hours... other times, the thing won't even turn on. It goes right to that error. After fiddling with it, reconnecting the coil... and trying the power a few times, it starts to work again.... but only until the next time it happens. I'm sure it's just going to get worse.

I just wanted to say Im sorry to hear that. :thumbdown: You have my sympathy and Im sure all other Etrac owners as well.

Thanks guys, I'll detect it into the ground.

I really don't know anything about circuit boards or soldering. When it eventually dies, I will open it up and tinker, lol...

I've heard that there is some type of voltage regulator in the E-trac that drops and stabilizes the voltage to what the detector needs to operate. Maybe it's part of the board and not replaceable?

Perhaps there is a way to install one of these into the battery itself? That way the non performing one on the board would not be needed. Just a guess. :confused:

Reading a few other threads, I don't get the impression they do component level board repair. If something is bad on the board, they probably just replace the entire board. I'd find an electronics repair shop and see what they say. You probably need a $2 component replaced.

Chris

Is there any chance when it does turn on, you could try a reset? Dont know if it would do any good but its worth a try. :shrug:

I know here in Mobile, Alabama we have a few instrument repair shops that fix boards down to component level and they are good at it....give one in your city a call and see if
they can trouble shoot it and possibly fix for a lot less.

eek

I will try this again as it did not post the last time....here in Mobile, Alabama we have a few Instrument Repair shops that can fix and calibrate instruments down to

component level...give one in you city a call and see if they can help...bet they can and it will be a lot cheaper than Etrac.

eek

I guess that I need to learn how to post a message.....here in Mobile, Alabama we have a few Instrument Repair shops that can repair down to component level and are good at it.
Give one a call in your city and see if they can help....I bet they can and it will be a lot cheaper than Etrac...Just look in phone book or Google Instrument Repair shop.

eek