Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Get Off My Land..!!

fastdraw

This is a second hand story, but I think you will all appreciate it. Last week I made a post about how my friend found a $5 gold piece and I was very envious.

Ok.. Here goes the story...

My friend posted his find on Facebook along with several photographs.

When he went back to the same spot two days later, and was metal detecting for about 20 minutes, another guy showed up with a metal detector and they had a conversation.

It turns out that the man that showed up was not only a metal detector, but also a Nevada State employee land surveyor, who had seen his post on Facebook and was able to recognize the background Terrain in the photographs.

After about 4 to 5 minutes of conversation, my friend realized his secret hotspot had been compromised.

My friend is a fairly good-sized man, and he flat out told this state employee surveyor / metal detector. And I Quote

"You can either walk away now, or you can walk away with that metal detector shoved up your ass"

The man left peacefully.

It was on public lands... and I am not promoting violence. Understand That.

My friend pulled up three more beautiful Silver's from that spot after the man left.

So the moral of the story is, if you post something and there is enough background for another detector to determine where your hotspot location is, don't be surprised if others show up.

I am not tech savvy but someone showed years ago that it is somehow possible to retrieve the GPS co-ordinance off of pictures posted from a cell phone...Big brother is always watching as is little brother,2nd cousin ,etc etc... several people have told stories of hunting a spot nobody goes to until they post an awesome find and next thing ya know there’s 3 guys hunting there next time you go back..

I am not tech savvy but someone showed years ago that it is somehow possible to retrieve the GPS co-ordinance off of pictures posted from a cell phone...Big brother is always watching as is little brother,2nd cousin ,etc etc... several people have told stories of hunting a spot nobody goes to until they post an awesome find and next thing ya know there’s 3 guys hunting there next time you go back..

Yes...that can happen. Unless the 'saving of the location' is shut off in the phone camera settings, the GPS coordinates of where a pic was taken can be found in the pic info.
Either take a picture of your finds in a Wal-Mart parking lot, or change the camera settings.
There have been stories on some gun websites of peoples' homes being broken into and guns stolen because of guns that were posted online....with the location data in the pic info.

I had to discuss this very issue with a man about 5 years ago. He posted a nice belt buckle and where he found it, great find. I then had to remind him that he wasn't the only person with a detector and he had now told half the state where to go and how to get there. I asked him if he carried a can of paint to mark the spot. Open gates, messed up fences, even feces topped with toilet paper. That ended that, trespassing signs went up within a month. I have a habit, before I leave a spot I survey where I've hunted to see if I can tell I've been there and I have on occasion had to straighten things up, Its protected many a spot for years.:cool:

The one, and mostly only, good point on getting GPS is off photos locating lost souls. We had a cyclist on nearby mountain who got lost and nightfall hit. Dispatch can roughly get your location from cell towers if you call but somehow taking a picture along your journey and posting it is more accurate. We shifted search location to last picture and found the guy within an hour. Location from towers was general but pic was much closer. I have no idea how that info is transferred from phone to social media posting tho.....

The local paper contacted me and wanted to do a story on me once. The author knew me and knew I like hunting civil war relics. He asked where I detected and found all my things. I told him I would not tell him as people would be trespassing on private land that I worked hard to get permission to. He looked shocked when I told him I wouldn’t say. I let him take some pictures of some of my finds though. He had to change the article some. Because he ended up not talking about civil war a lot in my article but it turned out to be a good article anyway I thought. So many on this and other forums would cheat you out of a spot in a heart beat. I took a guy deer hunting with me once and the next month him and his dad had permission to hunt on the same land. I was so mad. Be careful who you tell what. Even people you are close to will surprise you.

7cents, that pretty much hit the nail square on the head. I never put two and two together until this subject came up here. The Barber dime I found this year was at a place it simply should not have been. I was careful not to include anything in the photo which contained background landmarks because I felt where there is one prize there may be another. A couple days later I discovered a couple of our plugs had been pulled out, could it have been attempted sabotage? Now thinking someone was either watching us and didnt like it or someone got the location off the posted pics and tried to get the sport banned there. I called the grounds keeper and left a message what I discovered, permission saved.
Now, I was told if location on phone is turned off it will not transfer on posting. Not sure on this tip but if you post off of wifi it will not transfer either. I like posting accurate photos but rethinking this.

7cents, that pretty much hit the nail square on the head. I never put two and two together until this subject came up here. The Barber dime I found this year was at a place it simply should not have been. I was careful not to include anything in the photo which contained background landmarks because I felt where there is one prize there may be another. A couple days later I discovered a couple of our plugs had been pulled out, could it have been attempted sabotage? Now thinking someone was either watching us and didnt like it or someone got the location off the posted pics and tried to get the sport banned there. I called the grounds keeper and left a message what I discovered, permission saved.
Now, I was told if location on phone is turned off it will not transfer on posting. Not sure on this tip but if you post off of wifi it will not transfer either. I like posting accurate photos but rethinking this.
More than likely a skunk probably pulled out the plug in search of grubs try to always leave a good hinge I dig a 3 sided square usually.

Animals digging invariably leave scat as they eat but nothing here. I’m pretty sure we were being sabotaged by someone. I didnt mention it earlier but they were within the boundaries of the painted soccer field

Animals WILL do this. I hunted at my sister's house one day. The yard looked good when I left. The next day, she told me that several of my plugs were "dug up." I stopped by, and it looked like the yard was hunted by a detectorist who left every hole unfilled... :(

Steve

I've seen quite a few idiots on youtube posting places they go, many of them know they are trespassing. One such fool posted his trip to Ruby Arizona a ghost town that is on private property. Another posted going into the good enough mine, also trespassing on an active mine. seen people posting on facebook about collecting Native American Artifacts, seems to me there is an antiquities law that prohibits such things, then disturbing Native artifacts, double jeopardy. Even public lands, BLM may not be open as there may be claims, most of the times the claims are posted but with the markers being spread over 20 -160 acres they me hard to spot. First rule is to do research before going out.
There are many properties that back up to public land, ranchers or landowners do not always fence these properties. many places in Arizona both BLM and private back up to Reservations, if you are not a member of that reservation and trespass, you are in for a visit to the local jail, once again there are no boundary markers except for that invisible line from GPS coordinates.

Good luck to those who trespass

This is a second hand story, but I think you will all appreciate it. Last week I made a post about how my friend found a $5 gold piece and I was very envious.

Ok.. Here goes the story...

My friend posted his find on Facebook along with several photographs.

When he went back to the same spot two days later, and was metal detecting for about 20 minutes, another guy showed up with a metal detector and they had a conversation.

It turns out that the man that showed up was not only a metal detector, but also a Nevada State employee land surveyor, who had seen his post on Facebook and was able to recognize the background Terrain in the photographs.

After about 4 to 5 minutes of conversation, my friend realized his secret hotspot had been compromised.

My friend is a fairly good-sized man, and he flat out told this state employee surveyor / metal detector. And I Quote

"You can either walk away now, or you can walk away with that metal detector shoved up your ass"

The man left peacefully.

It was on public lands... and I am not promoting violence. Understand That.

My friend pulled up three more beautiful Silver's from that spot after the man left.

So the moral of the story is, if you post something and there is enough background for another detector to determine where your hotspot location is, don't be surprised if others show up.
AMEN to that keep it to your self.

Hmmmmm how much for the pooch:bouncy:

We had a similar thing when we used to go fishing. An angling magazine sent a photographer to fish with us for the night in a particularly dangerous place for which we we well equipped to do with all the climbing gear required. All three of us stated that he should not take photo's that showed where we were. When the magazine came out it was quite obvious from one of the photo's where we were, if kids had gone to fish there they could have been killed so no more photographers allowed to fish with us.