Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Get Off My Land..!!

The 'three S' rule applies to many things. But so many people are photo researchers, meaning it's easier for them to go to a place known and easily found, than to go through the trouble to find their own spots. In the goldfields my partners have literally had people following them to see where they're going. Once we even had a couple guys we know, walk right up the wash, tell us 'oh we thought you guys might be here and just wanted to say 'hi'.'. Mind you, that was in an area you don't beat the crap out of your vehicle, then hike rugged terrain just to say 'hi'. SO. The three S,'s rule the day.

The GPS data stored on a picture is called 'metadata'. If you search for 'remove metadata from photo' for your particular platform you can find instructions on how to remove it from pictures. It's tedious, but I always try to remove the metadata before posting anything to the internet. Attached is some of the metadata I found on a photo in a recent post on this forum. For windows 10, if you click on the 'Remove Properties and Personal Information' circled in the picture it will prompt you to remove metadata.

Attachments

• metatdata.jpg
    metatdata.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 118
I am not tech savvy but someone showed years ago that it is somehow possible to retrieve the GPS co-ordinance off of pictures posted from a cell phone...Big brother is always watching as is little brother,2nd cousin ,etc etc... several people have told stories of hunting a spot nobody goes to until they post an awesome find and next thing ya know there’s 3 guys hunting there next time you go back..

Neither am I but I'm aware of the very for instance you are describing.

Years ago I posted a very nondescript spot I found a Merc. One pic of the merc itself in my hand. I shit you not, 2 days later some dude from out of town was there hitting my field. And I live in a small town where everyone knows each other.

Since then I refuse to post pics on the interwebs.

Years ago I posted a very nondescript spot I found a Merc. One pic of the merc itself in my hand. I shit you not, 2 days later some dude from out of town was there hitting my field. And I live in a small town where everyone knows each other.

I believe you...... and just because of one Merc dime..!

You got it. At one time I would show people in the prospecting clubs picture or actual pieces of gold nuggets that I would find, then if I went to a club outing a group of people would follow, if they follow now I take them to the most remote, washed out trails that I know of and say "here we are", some turn back about half way.

I am not tech savvy but someone showed years ago that it is somehow possible to retrieve the GPS co-ordinance off of pictures posted from a cell phone...Big brother is always watching as is little brother,2nd cousin ,etc etc... several people have told stories of hunting a spot nobody goes to until they post an awesome find and next thing ya know there’s 3 guys hunting there next time you go back..
Just look at the EXIF data in the photo if you have it ...