Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Getting GPS readings in the woods

togamac

I have a lot of trouble getting GPS readings in the woods. I try to find a relatively clear spot with a view to the south and I can get a reading but if there are any trees at all in the way I usually won't get a reading. I'd appreciate any tips at all from you more experienced users out there.
Thanx and HH, Mac

GPS works from three or four satellites, that is why we have trouble in wooded areas.
sometimes if you are constantly moving it helps!

Yes i am pretty sure they are! which ever ones are the strongest lock on

Sorry not quite correct...

The GPS constellation consists of a fleet of satellites that are all constantly orbitting and moving. Your reciever has the ability to pick up many of these and the more the merrier and the more the more accurate the fix. A minimum of three is needed for a positional fix and 4 or more will also give you altitude..

The GPS constellation as of this posting was over 32 satellites. It's likely that as many as 6 - 8 or more will be overhead with some being closer to the horizon at any given spot. Those nearer the horizon will be weaker in signal strength and your reciever will not pick them up consistently and therefor not use them.

Make sure your reciever is held steady with the antenna at top and unobstructed. GPS signals are affected by heavy tree cover, buildings, solid metal items over the antenna. Give the reciever a moment or two to lock into available signals. Also update the firmware in it to reflect the latest constellation and orbits. That is what the RX uses to run it's fixes. If that is oudated then it might be trying to track GPS satellites that are no longer in service and therefore your limiting the bird count it can use for fixes. Fresh batteries are also important as the reciever will drift if the batteries are dieing out. I recommend newer GPS units as they have better sensitiviy than the older gear.

GPS will not work in buiildings, tunnels or wherever the sky is occluded or obstructed with stuff.

Garmin, Magellan, DeLorme and numerous others make decent handhelds....