Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GOES DEEPER ?

SERIC

When a new device is introduced on the market usually the most shouted feature is "goes deeper"
Nothing heared about and this is strange.
Maybe the surprise will be on May 11?:unsure:

Deeper isn't the issue. Target seperation and identification is what makes the difference.

Just think what would the E-Trac would do if the recovery speed was 50% faster and water proof.

BCOOP

Think of some of those deep iron signals that might now be coins. Most detectors ID deep coins as iron, the E-Trac excels here but still could be improved upon and I'm sure it has. Just a normal advance in technology.

And deeper - I think somewhat. That big battery on the back makes me think of some new tech and/or "boost" technology. As well as that GB button adding more depth perhaps. One never knows. It may not be much more depth but I have a feeling 2" more will more than sedate us.

EMS

Deeper is what counts period.All the rest is just bells and whistles if it cannot go at least 3 inches deeper or truely see thru trash it will not be worth buying.I expect no less,we will see if Minelab has produced a machine that meets these demands.

So many detectors seem to be great at something like the F75 and T2 really fast and good in trash but bad EMI and you can't use the boost mode in most places and modest on salt

The explorer had the auto noise cancel and the close-up looks like the same button so that is a plus

Love the V3i for open woods relics, very deep but also some EMI issues even though you could deal with it in mid frequency but a little disappointing not being able to use high, low or all three. Never tried the V3i on the beach since it was updated but the Vision suffered.

Explorers were great technology wise but ergonomics were the pits and plastic was flimsey. Even if this detector is a little heavy which if it is built like a tank I can deal with but it looks well balanced and that can make or break the comfort.

I hope and pray this is the queen bee of metal detecting technology, if so I can't wait, they have me chomping at the bit waiting for Fridays news

Prep1957 said:
if it cannot go at least 3 inches deeper or truely see thru trash it will not be worth buying.I expect no less,we will see if Minelab has produced a machine that meets these demands.

Expecting that kind of depth improvement is unrealistic.

Even an inch of additional depth over the deepest available now is significant and opens a whole new stratum, a brand spankin' new virgin inch...

earthmansurfer said:
Think of some of those deep iron signals that might now be coins. Most detectors ID deep coins as iron, the E-Trac excels here but still could be improved upon and I'm sure it has. Just a normal advance in technology.

And deeper - I think somewhat. That big battery on the back makes me think of some new tech and/or "boost" technology. As well as that GB button adding more depth perhaps. One never knows. It may not be much more depth but I have a feeling 2" more will more than sedate us.

EMS

Yes, 2" deeper than the E-trac would be nice. After all an E-Trac can already find a bust half-dime at 14" deep http://www.findmall.com/read.php?63,1696163 so 16" on a dime should be a piece of cake for this new CTX 3030! :)

Seriously, though, we should take a step back and scrutinize everything we will be reading about this detector when it gets out into peoples hands. We all have seen this before. Folks spend a LOT of money on a new detector and the performance claims get blown out of proportion. Who wants to admit they got sucked in by the hype and claims? I have been detecting since 1971 and have found exactly TWO dimes at a real 10 1/2"... and that was using big loops.

I for one hope it's not such a huge leap in technology in terms of depth and separation so that even another Minelab using a larger coil for more depth or a smaller coil for better separation still can't even out any advantage this machine MAY have in those two respects. Then it'll be pointless for people who can't afford one to even try hunting public sites anymore and it'll become yet another rich(er) man's sport, like so many other sports that have priced the average joe out.

Remember the good old days when you could take the whole family to a football game, eat well, and still have enough money left over to get good and drunk there? :biggrin: I like it as it stands right now, where even a guy with a cheap machine can still find silver if he digs those deep whispers or the trashy coin signals masked by iron or other junk. That's what makes this such a great hobby for everybody. God forbid it can do all those things and also ID gold while leaving the junk behind, because then you won't even be able to do that with another machine at public sites.

You can read my overly paranoid details on what might happen to this hobby if this is the case in this thread below. And a little debate on what the rational side of my mind says about that not being able to happen due to the laws of physics when it comes to VLF detection fields in terms of both depth and separation. VLF detection fields are governed by a few physical laws that just can't be changed, so this fear is probably not rational...But I do tend to let my unfounded fears run away with me...

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?21,1692437

Critter,
SO I gather that you would rather everyone use the same machine to go out and detect? Is that why others are bashing/trashing Minelab's new machine before it is released? Because of fear that it will be better than what they are using? To say that you hope that it is not leaps and bounds above the other technology is just selfish. I for one hope that it is(also selfish). There are always going to be places to metal detect. Some of my best finds were at private loacations, just got to get out a make contact with them.

Not saying that. I've owned many machines over the years and that's why I settled on Minelab- to have a bit better depth and ID ability. But that still isn't so far superior that others with other less expensive machines can't go out and make some great finds...Due to the limits of technology in even the most expensive units on the market concerning VLF dynamics in field generation, and exactly what kind of data the machine can gleam from objects interacting with that detection field.

What I'm talking about is such a huge leap in technology that even using a larger coil (for depth) or a smaller coil (for unmasking) doesn't even up the ability a new machine has to others...To where it will be pointless for people who own even other Minelabs to hunt public sites anymore. If that does happen it will change the hobby in drastic ways because the vast majority of people who detect can't afford a really expensive machine if one does come out that does have that quantum leap in ability.

My perspective on the "selfish" remark is kind of the reverse of what you're saying. As it stands right now even a cheap machine can still find the silver by digging those deep whispers or the junky ones that are masked. It's more room for everybody and not a selfish perspective in the least. Look at it this way...If it came to a point in technology where a very expensive fishing lure would catch all the fish and there would be nothing left to catch unless you could afford that fishing lure...Then what do you think that would do to the hobby of fishing? I know that's a bad analogy as it could never happen. Just hope it's also not the case in terms of giant leaps in detector analogy. That's all I'm saying.

Yes, if indeed that does happen then there will still be private places to hunt or water hunting for fresh dropped rings for guys using lessor/cheaper machines. But that will still shrink the hobby down to a very small amount of people compared to what it is now...Where as said even a guy with a cheap machine can still make some great finds with the right amount of effort.

Part of the fun and challenge in detecting is knowing that with enough work and effort pretty much anybody using just about any machine can still go out there and find silver or gold. If that's "selfish" for wanting it to stay that way so that everybody has a chance in this great hobby then I guess you're right and I am thinking selfish. I feel it's the reverse of that from my perspective, but everybody has a different stance on things so I guess it's all in how you look at it. You can flip the question the other way...Do you want only a few people to be able to afford a machine that will make it pointless for anybody owning another machine to even try hunting the same site? That's an interesting way to look at the selfish issue.

Again, I doubt it's that kind of giant leap in technology. A little deeper and a little easier unmasking due to some advanced software processing of the signal. If that's the case then another Minelab with the right aftermarket coil should be able to keep up and do just as well.

The greatest feature on it and any other detector is the experience, knowledge and perspicacity of the user.

I dug this out of another thread where somebody was asking somebody else about the "pro" perspective versus con...

earthmansurfer said:
I have been told that Minelab testers are pro Minelab and will only say good things. This dame about because there are no bad rumors from testers, only good it seems.

Now, I find it hard to believe that all testers would be pro anything, but what is your experience here? I imagine even if they are pro Minelab that they would still criticize the machine where applicable.

I have no opinion myself on the testers being "pro" anything, as I guess you'd really have to know the person and maybe what they got in return to offer an opinion. Nobody can say either way without knowing those facts, so let's give the testers the benefit of the doubt and go from there.

On the other hand, I've seen a good many people called out by others for bringing up what they feel are negatives such as the expected price, the weight, or the added cost of features they don't see a use themselve's for such as GPS. I've brought up many of those same points myself and am willing to risk being a bit skeptical or negative about some of the known factors up to this point. Personaly, I'm willing to stick my neck out a little, as I feel it's a much better badge of honor than blindly accepting everything as a big positive with no questions being asked or concerns being voiced. After all, the threads would be pretty boring otherwise if everybody just agreed on every topic. I wager there are a lot of people who are just too afraid to complain about the price, the weight, or some other currently known issues because they just don't want to risk doing that. Hopefully there is room for everybody to voice their support as well as their concerns and people can decide for themselves. That's how knowledge is aquired to make the best decision as an individual.