Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold Coin VDI'S & Dominant Frequency...

Blind Squirrel

Howdy--

I've noticed that there are several new V users posting on this forum so I thought that it might be a good time to share some of my test results. Using the V3i with the D2 coil with low sensitivity settings I had these readings:

$1 Gold (Types 1,2 & 3) VDI......14-16......Dominant Frequency.....22.5 KHz
$2.5 Gold (Lib & Ind) VDI......33-35......Dominant Frequency......7.5 KHz
$3 Gold VDI......35-37......Dominant Frequency......7.5 KHz
$5 Gold (Lib & Ind) VDI......49-50......Dominant Frequency......7.5 KHz
$10 Gold (Lib & Ind) VDI......54-58......Dominant Frequency......7.5 KHz
$20 Gold (Lib & St. G) VDI......74-75......Dominant Frequency......2.5 KHz
$50 Gold Buffalo VDI......87-89.....Dominant Frequency.......2.5 KHz

Hopefully the above information will put a gold coin in your pouch!

Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Good point BS, gold can come in anywhere on the scale including the -5 to +14 range for smaller rings, earrings and chains.

I like this thread, never knew what any of them read, I've never found a gold coin but according to this thread they can be all over the scale. I always try digging coin sized targets anyway. :)

Hello Blind squirrel,

I like the info. you've given. My question(s) are you running in Best Data or Correlate? What was your Sensitivity setting and last, were these results of an air test?

Thanks for your time,

TC-NM

Howdy TC-NM,

It was an air test using a V3i in the Coin Mode with Best Data, RX 1, AM 55 and Disc Sens 55. Hopefully, this information will help to put a gold coin in your goodie bag! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Thanks for the info. I have a stupid question. Gold is gold, no matter how big the coin is, right? So what accounts for the variation in frequencies? Are the coins made from different alloys or does their size determine which frequency they will respond to best. My only gold coins so far bore the Chuck E Cheese mint mark.

Size, shape, alloy, orientation, are some factors. There is no way to tell it is gold until you see it. For every piece of gold in the ground, there is a piece of non gold that will match its readings. In the early history of the Spectrum people thought they could ID gold with the analysis mode, NOT.

Howdy Gandorf--

Rob answered your question. The point of my original post was to give fellow V users a heads-up that with the exception of the $1 gold coins, the U.S. coins listed will NOT pinpoint with 22.5 frequency dominant. That can be valuable information when hunting an older site. A VDI reading between 30 and 60 that pinpoints with 7.5 frequency dominant can be a gold coin. I hope that this info puts a gold coin in your goodie bag! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Thanks. I wonder how many gold coins and rings have been detected and left in the ground because someone didn't want to dig another pull tab.

Probably some but they are rare. Look how many gold coins are in the Indian head to quarter range and guys hunting for 35 years have never found a gold coin. I know I never found one. I also know guys with detectors that dig all positive signals and have never got a gold coin.

But some of us do find a gold coin!
:clapping:

Yep, they are out there..........

Blind Squirrel said:
Howdy Gandorf--

Rob answered your question. The point of my original post was to give fellow V users a heads-up that with the exception of the $1 gold coins, the U.S. coins listed will NOT pinpoint with 22.5 frequency dominant. That can be valuable information when hunting an older site. A VDI reading between 30 and 60 that pinpoints with 7.5 frequency dominant can be a gold coin. I hope that this info puts a gold coin in your goodie bag! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Thanks. This is a real eye opener to me. I've left tons of signals showing dominant 7.5k, while trusting 22.5 was the key frequency.

I wish I'd known this 4 years ago. What sense does it make for 7.5 to go dominant, and just how many other V3i owners passed over gold due to thinking like I did that 22.5 had to go dominant?

Howdy 5900_XL-1--

One of my hunting buddies dug a large 10K class ring a couple of days ago. It VDI'd @ 55-56 and pinponted with 7.5 dominant. Previous hunters at that site probably thought that it was a screwcap and passed it.

I'm glad that you and hopefully others will benefit from this thread. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Rob (IL) said:
Size, shape, alloy, orientation, are some factors. There is no way to tell it is gold until you see it. For every piece of gold in the ground, there is a piece of non gold that will match its readings. In the early history of the Spectrum people thought they could ID gold with the analysis mode, NOT.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++​

Respectfully, and without any contradiction of your thoughts on the subject;

At present, I accept the limitations of present metal detector's analytical capabilities as you have stated.

That said, I think better analysis may be possible.

So, in that spirit:.........Can you actually provide any evidence of two artifacts which differing in any off the factors you mention,

which prove your point? I would appreciate your input.

If you could photograph the V3i's Screen data on each, I could then analyse them using the algorithms

which I'm presently exploring........Thanks....Matt

If you want to spend the time search through the old posts. The photos are there a well as the attempts to guess which screens showed gold.

I don't understand what you are trying to prove.

Thanks for the info Blind squirrel For those who are wanting to increase your chance of finding a gold coin need to focus on early military camps and outpost. The government payed in gold and silver. They quit paying with gold in the late 1800's n focus on pre civalwar era.

Blind Squirrel said:
Howdy 5900_XL-1--

One of my hunting buddies dug a large 10K class ring a couple of days ago. It VDI'd @ 55-56 and pinponted with 7.5 dominant. Previous hunters at that site probably thought that it was a screwcap and passed it.

I'm glad that you and hopefully others will benefit from this thread. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

I would still like to know the science behind larger gold rings showing dominent 7.5K. I have a small 10k ring and it does indeed show dominant 22.5k. I have my old wedding band, 10K and it dominant at 7.5k, plus my high school ring 10K also 7.5k dominant.

I'll show my ignorance maybe but, isnt the ratio of gold content in the small 10k which reads dominant at 22.5k, equal to the ratio of the old wedding band and the class ring? Only the total size seems different. I'm missing something. Why doesn't the V machines see all of them at 22.5k better?