Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold Ring Question

Approximately three years ago I was hunting in an area, and one of the local residents informed me a ring was lost in the general location (she couldn't recall how long ago the ring was lost). At the time, I had a detector that could detect about three inches deep at the max. I have since purchased an Etrac (I've had it almost 2 years now). I went to the location earlier this week and haven't found the ring. I am using the stock coil and the coin pattern. I am looking at anything that registers higher than 10 on the conductive scale. I have pulled quite a few pull tabs, but that should be in the range for a gold ring. I recently purchased an 8x6 SEF coil, and plan to hit the same area once I am done with the stock coil.

Should I be checking the targets with a lower conductive number? I'm expecting the target to be at least 3 inches deep and maybe more. Any tips on finding gold rings would be great!

Look for 12-05 and higher depending on the size of the ring. In fact you can not depend on the 12 since it may be on end. Rare for a person to know exactly where they lost the ring as well.

I agree with daddyflea. I have had gold rings hit at 07. With gold ring searching, you just have to dig it all.

The vast majority of the gold rings I have found fell below a nickle , actually 12-08 or lower to 12-03 especially if it's a thinner type woman's ring. More massive rings will go higher but I recently dug a 19 gram 14k graduation ring that hit 12-12 so you really need to dig them all.

I dug 2 14 k rings in 2016 and they rang in at 12-23.

There is nothing written in stone on any numbers in my opinion. I don't rely on numbers.

I use gut feeling, instinct, a consistent signal as you do a 360 around the target and listen to the tones.

Take a gold ring and field test it and notice the tone and see what numbers come in.

These are just my thoughts.

Good luck and good hunting

D.V.

Rings came in at 12-18 not 12-23

"Some good advice there SB.

My advice is to fit that 8x6 and listen to the TONES and watch the CURSOR and ignore the FE CO numbers.

If the ring 'is gold, you should get the most wonderful 'hoot' rich tone sound and the cursor [ should sit ] slap bang mid screen (this can vary with ring size)
Best advice is to dig ALL flutey rich tones and SOLID signals.

It's funny but, I have been searching for up to three (possibly) gold rings lost since I started detecting: a gents large signet, a woman's engagement, and a woman's plain band wedding ring.
The ground is just awful with large buried iron, coke and al manner of non ferrous metallic 'bits' from numerous broken domestic 'things' that litter the 0.53acre site.

Each time I get a New detector and/or New coil it's the first place I head for and each time New finds surface both of the ferrous and non ferrous variety.

They WILL be found one day!"

I have been unable to get out the last few days, but I plan to hit the area the next few times out. I will update with my findings, and hopefully a pic of a gold ring.

Thanks for all the info.

Silver Bullet said:
I have been unable to get out the last few days, but I plan to hit the area the next few times out. I will update with my findings, and hopefully a pic of a gold ring.

Thanks for all the info.

Good luck! Hope you find it.

sprchng said:
The vast majority of the gold rings I have found fell below a nickle , actually 12-08 or lower to 12-03 especially if it's a thinner type woman's ring. More massive rings will go higher but I recently dug a 19 gram 14k graduation ring that hit 12-12 so you really need to dig them all.

This is about right even down to 2 on a really thin gold ring. Ive dug a bunch of them and I find most are at nickel and below as well....with only occasionally finding them up in the pull tab range.
As far as the 12 line, forget that on gold, just be close either way but if your digging only that on the 12 line your missing a lot of great finds.

HH
Neil

Try searching with this pattern and audio settings.

You won't get any $'s.....but it should silence 95% of the iron trash.....

Meant for easy listening.......So pay attention to your favourite tone....

The yellow zone is to give you some idea of the wide possibilities of a 'gold' ring ID, especially

if there's iron about.

Good luck (You're gonna need it.)....matt.

P.S....The choice of tones suggested, was for the CTX 3030...

you will only have the fixed 4 individual tones of the Etrac...)

[attachment 340946 Ring-aDing.jpg]

After reading this post I'm thinking I may be missing the boat. While I've ignored the first number a few times and found good targets, I wasn't aware of the low numbers finding rings. With my Xterra guys we're saying that they were getting gold at an ID if 6, to me that's foil. I've dug a ton of 6s and it's been foil every time. Now I'm reading some of the above, I may need to rethink my Etrac ID strategy.

All good advice but in my opinion the whole lost ring story sounds a little fishy to me. I'm not sure I would waste too much time hunting for it unless there is more to the story. Also, what makes you believe the ring is more than 3" deep? Anyway, happy hunting and good luck..

Well I dig foil and pull tabs till I get a belly full of it, then take the pass. I hunt the same parks on a regular basis and know where I left off. If Im in a clean area and get a good signal, it gets dug no matter what it rings. Being new to the Etrac, I was surprised at how deep I was getting. I would go and get a dozen targets at 2 inches then bam, 12-14 inches on a can or pipe. After the second hole figured out real quick how to tell if its a can lol. Since gold rings was never a problem with my F75 and AT Pro, Im hoping my setup will allow me to get that gold too. Im considering running a relic pattern.