Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold wedding ring numbers ???

Hi gang,
Was wanting to tap into the resouces of more experienced detectorists regarding what kind of numbers gold rings ( wedding bands in particualr) have been showing on the Etrac ????
I can air test my own ring, but is there a number range buried ones have fallen into ????
Gotta go find my wife's uncle's ring soon.
Thanks in advance !!

Thanks for the advice and encouragement.
I spent about an hour at the place last night, and gotta say it will be like the proverbial needle in a haystack.
One thing's for sure:
I have truly come to hate aluminum sided homes !!!
The flower bed and yard were littered with aluminum snippets from the siding.

And if that wasn't enough torture, somebody used an old tarp as a ground cover in the flower bed, so there's plenty of eyelets for the picking too.
And then of course there's the metal garden decorations; but at least I can see and move them !

Wasn't a total waste though, I did find two wheaties.One was even a 1935.

Will be going back again, pray for me:)

Samuel_Champlain_FTW said:
True of false...

The fatter the ring, the higher the CO number.

The one ring i have found that rang up at 12-35
Is a small FATTY...14k yellow gold 8.4 grams...and is a size 7..!
I have also found a 14k white gold 8.5 gram size 13...it rang up as a pull tab..12-18..!
My theory is the metals mixed to make white vs yellow gold...i heard white gold is mixed with nickel as yellow has copper mixed in...that would explain the lower numbers...!
Or am i wrong about that...?

That sounds logical.
My dad's circa 1930 yellow gold band showed 12-36 in an air test.
So, does that mean gold coins would show up similarly ???
I think they were alloyed with copper too.

Is it safe to say that the FE number needs to be a solid "12" and not bounce around to 10 or 11 for gold rings or coins? Or - Is it possible that gold rings or coins can bounce back and forth from 12:08 to 11:08 etc?

I found 4 gold rings this summer. The largest was a mans 10K that was a solid 12/12 at 5 inches. The smallest was a baby ring at about 5 inches with an X5 coil. I almost didn't did it because it was so weak. It was 12/5. One thing I noticed was they all had a solid 12 FE number.

Yip thats my experience also,I have found 11 gold rings so far this year they all fell within the 12-12 thru to 12-35 range,you will know when you hit it, as the numbers are very stable and the tone also is consistant,it just sounds sweet and right........KJ

I search for rings and made several vids on yourube finding them with the etrac. My handle there is mowerdog. Or search for the ring finders lee's summit. This should get you to them.

I found one thin solid gold man's wedding ring a couple of years ago. The Co. number was 10...I think, maybe 11. The Fe bounced from 10 to 12. Like 10-10, 12-10, 12-11, as I circled the target. It was at an old church and I figured it was a pull tab, but I hadn't dug too many. Great surprise!

NebTrac

Hello Everyone. I havent been on in a while, (about 6 or so months) How is everyone?
As far as the Gold rings go I have dug gold rings from 12-3 to around 12-25. I have air tested gold rings and jewelry up to 12-35+ I have never seen one come up with an FE number of 11 or 13. I have never had one that read a CO number that moved at all. Gold may behave differently but I have never seen it happen. I am no expert but have found 11 gold rings this year and other assorted gold peices. When you add a small peice of other metal like a platinum stone mount things can be drastically different. If you have a friend that works at a cash for gold place or pawn shop who is also a detectorist see if he or she will let you at least air test a few different rings.

One thing I did was cut a plug about 4 or 5 inches deep and 8 or so inches across. Put the plug in a heavy plastic bag and lay a heavy plastic sheet over the hole. Place various items in the hole one at a time then replace the bag containing the plug. Press out any air over and under the item then practice and see what readings you get. Rings in the ground for over a year or so seem to reed more stable than ones with this test method but it will give you an idea of what to expect when hunting. CODY

This one was a 11-13 and locked on solid. but could also depend on other trash or ground mineralization.