Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Got my CTX back from KellyCo

I had the screen fixed for the 2nd time in 5 months of owning it. All of my programs were wiped clean so tonight I hooked it back up to CTX and was going to put everything back. Connected to Xchange and it says my firmware is out of date and it needs an update. So I update it and now the coil says it's not connected. So, any ideas here? It got fixed but it doesn't work. :surrender:

Be sure to hook up and unhook the CTX from Xchange just the way the manual says....you may have to factory reset and go again.

IDXMonster said:
Be sure to hook up and unhook the CTX from Xchange just the way the manual says....you may have to factory reset and go again.

I did everything right however I just did the factory reset, reset all and the coil still isn't detected.

This is so disappointing. In all my years of detecting I've never had a machine that let me down more than the CTX. I was all set to buy an ATMax as a backup to the CTX since I've had to send it in twice and then the equinox gets waved in my face so I drop the AT and go on a waiting list for the EQ and the stupid coil goes out. I would have never used Xchange again had KellCo not wiped my machine clean in order to repair it. You would've thought they would have backed up my machine and recast what was on it after they fixed it. It makes you think that Minelab USA is run by Michael Scott of Dunder Mifflin and I got Dwight to fix my machine. Pam is played by Minelab Jamie who does her best to keep everyone happy but in the end you can't keep fixing stupid.

Try un doing the coil and reconnecting it. Mine did that and it wasnt tight enough.... no problem since.

Try a different coil, it may have nothing to do with the controls, you could have a bad strain relief at the coil.

You can also skip exchange2 all together.

Download the firmware from Minelab page to your desktop. http://www.minelab.com/usa/metal-detectors/treasure-detectors/ctx-3030?view=downloads

Connect detector to computer using the USB cable, explore you computer and you will see a drive named "Minelab".

Go into it and copy and paste existing file on your desktop just in case you need it in future, (better safe than sorry), now delete the firmware in the Minelab Drive then slide the new firmware you downloaded from Minelab on your desktop into the Minelab drive.

Once downloaded disconnect the USB cable, it will say saving then rebooting, once it reboots select your language and your set to go.

treasure_hunter said:
Try a different coil, it may have nothing to do with the controls, you could have a bad strain relief at the coil.

You can also skip exchange2 all together.

Download the firmware from Minelab page to your desktop. http://www.minelab.com/usa/metal-detectors/treasure-detectors/ctx-3030?view=downloads

Connect detector to computer using the USB cable, explore you computer and you will see a drive named "Minelab".

Go into it and copy and paste existing file on your desktop just in case you need it in future, (better safe than sorry), now delete the firmware in the Minelab Drive then slide the new firmware you downloaded from Minelab on your desktop into the Minelab drive.

Once downloaded disconnect the USB cable, it will say saving then rebooting, once it reboots select your language and your set to go.

I'll try connecting without xchange2 tonight after work. I've disconnected and reconnected the coil twice in addition to the factory resets. I don't have another coil to try unfortunately as I just sold my 17".

I did a bunch of research on "coil not detected" and many have experienced this but their problem came while detecting after 10 minutes to 2 hours out in the field. I could not find anyone with a similar set of circumstances happening after updating firmware.

That's really disappointing. You would think that everything is working correctly and you can take your repaired machine out and use it. Not have to load and download os systems in your machine . What if you are not computer savvy. Minelab makes a good product and I love my ctx, but these repair issues everyone is having are scary. I want to get the new eq, however how is the service overload from a new product going to affect the single repair center we have?

brother steve said:
That's really disappointing. You would think that everything is working correctly and you can take your repaired machine out and use it. Not have to load and download os systems in your machine . What if you are not computer savvy. Minelab makes a good product and I love my ctx, but these repair issues everyone is having are scary. I want to get the new eq, however how is the service overload from a new product going to affect the single repair center we have?

Therein lies the rub here so to speak. I sent them a 5 month old machine that was up to date with firmware and included all my modes and patterns. I get back my machine with all my stuff wiped cleaner than a clinton server and with out of date firmware. What exactly did they do to fix it? I'm stuck now with a dead machine essentially. I reached out to Jamie and she got back to me this morning early but I haven't heard from her since.

Chances are with the "coil not detected" message appearing after a firmware update, your unit will once again need to be returned to resolve this issue. If Minelab does not drop Kellyco as a repair center I am afraid they will not be keeping much of their market share. Kellyco has shown time and time again that they are just not up to the task of repairing ANYTHING in a timely manner or correctly the first time

Odds are it has nothing to do with the firmware at all and is a strain relief issue at the coil. Testing with another coil will tell you if that is the issue or not There is nothing on reloading the firmware that should cause that issue.

The only difference between the old firmware and the new firmware is the latest download firmware has chinese language as an option, that is it, it does nothing else, I downloaded the new firmware on my 3030 and it hosed it up, I deleted it and redownloaded the old firmware that I saved and it fixed it. The repair center at Kellyco has seen the same issue on the new firmware as I had on mine so they use the previous firmware version for reloads.

I just talked to Dave in the repair center, he says to call them or email them and they will get your email and send you a shipping label so it cost you nothing to have it returned and it will go to the front of the warranty line.

Thanks Treasure Hunter- Jamie is having me send the whole unit back and I'm doing that this afternoon. I hope everyone has better luck than me. Thanks too for all the helpful suggestions from everyone. Great assistance here from great people.

Skate