Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Got out on Monday, and dug a few keepers...

sgoss66

Hi all!

It was a beautiful day here on Monday -- and my buddy and I got out for some digging. We hit a park that I had never hunted before, but he's been there several times over the years. As all of our city parks are, it's been well hunted, but after a couple of hours I lucked into a little "hot spot." It was a very small area, as it turns out -- maybe 30' x 30' maximum -- but I started hitting deep coins. Each one was at least 7" deep, but most of them were Garrett Pro-Pointer deep (8" to 9"), the deepest pushing 10". My guess is that for whatever reason, the coins ended up deeper than normal in this little area (I know a layer of sod had been installed here, as I was cutting through that plastic "mesh" underneath the grass layer), and that they ended up just deep enough that they were missed by most other hunters/other machines.

Whatever the case, it's always nice to get into a little area that gives up coins like that; after I had hit several coins (enough to convince me there was something going on there) I called my buddy over to join in on the paydirt. All told, we managed 14 old coins from this tiny little area, plus a few buttons and other interesting items. It's been quite awhile since I've hit a little "hot spot" that was that productive, in a public spot...

Here are my digs; I got several of these as "live digs" on video, so I may try to piece together a video (if I can give myself a crash course, and learn how to edit well enough)!

(The Mercs are 1935-D, 1942, 1944, and 1945; the Rosie is 1959; the Wheats are 1920-D, 1937-D, 1941, and 1946, and the Buffalo is 1937).

Thanks, all!

Steve

1-27-20-Keepers.JPG

That is an awesome day of hunting!!!

Nice haul Steve! Nice to hear that you are getting in some winter hunting! Sadly, My sites are buried in snow & ice, and I would estimate that I won’t be hunting for at least a month! Cheers & Happy Hunting!

Good stuff Steve. This is McDave from the old forum. Couldn’t revive my old user account for whatever reason. Good to see you’re still out there hitting it !

Nice Steve I had the day off today got a few silvers and a 1905 indian I had a park like that probably 20x20 and it was absolutely loaded with mercury dimes and a few silver quarters!!!
I was thinking maybe where a ice cream truck or something like that ?..
Mark

Thanks all! It was a good day; it's been awhile since I've had a hunt like that here in Oklahoma; that was more like a hunt back home in PA!

McDave! Good to know you are still out and about too (even if now I have to remember a new username for you!)

Jeff -- those breaks are getting hard to come by ! ;)

Steve

Thanks folks! I was really surprised to find this little hot spot. We've hunted large portions of this park pretty heavily, and dug nothing more than the occasional, odd wheat cent. To find a concentration of good targets, in such a small area, was a surprise -- but, it's funny how finding a "hot spot" in an otherwise well-hunted area is not entirely uncommon...

Steve

You are posting your OWN finds?? Now that is different! What a hunt! And you know what? There is a big “elephant in the room” detail that is conspicuously missing, and only the bigger man does that. Did I mention...what a hunt!!:please:

Hi all!

It was a beautiful day here on Monday -- and my buddy and I got out for some digging. We hit a park that I had never hunted before, but he's been there several times over the years. As all of our city parks are, it's been well hunted, but after a couple of hours I lucked into a little "hot spot." It was a very small area, as it turns out -- maybe 30' x 30' maximum -- but I started hitting deep coins. Each one was at least 7" deep, but most of them were Garrett Pro-Pointer deep (8" to 9"), the deepest pushing 10". My guess is that for whatever reason, the coins ended up deeper than normal in this little area (I know a layer of sod had been installed here, as I was cutting through that plastic "mesh" underneath the grass layer), and that they ended up just deep enough that they were missed by most other hunters/other machines.

Whatever the case, it's always nice to get into a little area that gives up coins like that; after I had hit several coins (enough to convince me there was something going on there) I called my buddy over to join in on the paydirt. All told, we managed 14 old coins from this tiny little area, plus a few buttons and other interesting items. It's been quite awhile since I've hit a little "hot spot" that was that productive, in a public spot...

Here are my digs; I got several of these as "live digs" on video, so I may try to piece together a video (if I can give myself a crash course, and learn how to edit well enough)!

(The Mercs are 1935-D, 1942, 1944, and 1945; the Rosie is 1959; the Wheats are 1920-D, 1937-D, 1941, and 1946, and the Buffalo is 1937).

Thanks, all!

Steve

View attachment 331
Are you the Famous Metal Detector Designer Steve .

You are posting your OWN finds?? Now that is different! What a hunt! And you know what? There is a big “elephant in the room” detail that is conspicuously missing, and only the bigger man does that. Did I mention...what a hunt!!:please:

IDX -- thanks! It was a real treat to have such a productive hunt; those days are hard to come by, here... :)

Also, while I'm honestly not sure what I've done to earn it, you just paid me a very nice compliment, so I thank you kindly! :)

Steve

Are you the Famous Metal Detector Designer Steve .

professor-tones -- thanks for the kind words, but no, I'm not the famous one; I think you are referring to the gentleman who apparently was with Compass Metal Detectors, back in the day. I think he was like the owner of the company, or something, and so I think he was the metal detector designer you may be thinking of. I don't know him, but we do share the same name, and therefore every so often, I run into someone who thinks I am he.

Thanks!

Steve

professor-tones -- thanks for the kind words, but no, I'm not the famous one; I think you are referring to the gentleman who apparently was with Compass Metal Detectors, back in the day. I think he was like the owner of the company, or something, and so I think he was the metal detector designer you may be thinking of. I don't know him, but we do share the same name, and therefore every so often, I run into someone who thinks I am he.

Thanks!

Steve
I wonder if the guy is still alive and kicking, i have no idea how old he must be these days....a bit off topic i know ....The ultimate thrill must be to design a Metal Detector on paper , build it and get out and actually find coins & other nice things! ....