Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GPS question

SarahS

I'm new to all the gps gadgets and stuff, but it came to a moment when I need one and I'd like it to be small but functional. A user-friendly interface is a big advantage.
I've been searching for top 2020 models but they seem to be quite expensive. So I went to search for a good comparison of popular brands and here's that I've found:
This review basically says to buy any Garmin GPS - are they that good?
I'd like to hear some real experiences, hope anyone had a pleasure (or not) to use it at least for a day. So hope you guys can tell me what is good and what isn't

many thanks

I'm new to all the gps gadgets and stuff, but it came to a moment when I need one and I'd like it to be small but functional. A user-friendly interface is a big advantage.
I've been searching for top 2020 models but they seem to be quite expensive. So I went to search for a good comparison of popular brands and here's that I've found:
This review basically says to buy any Garmin GPS - are they that good?
I'd like to hear some real experiences, hope anyone had a pleasure (or not) to use it at least for a day. So hope you guys can tell me what is good and what isn't

many thanks
Hey SarahS I don't have a Garmin. I use an older DeLorme model that came with a very large map package at the time. I know
Garmin to be a good product also. Most handheld units w/map programs you can set waypoints (old homesites, etc.) on your
computer at home and transfer them to your handheld. Some of my sites are nothing but trees for miles so it comes in handy.
Only thing I don't like about mine is when you are trying to find exact spot you have to watch an arrow on screen to match
up w/waypoint. I think newer models will give an audible when you reach the destination. Hope this helps!!

HH okie

Just saw this post....... Garmin entry level is ETrex 10/20. Not overly expensive but will get you there and back. Civilian GPS not accurate to a dime (military on the other hand) but will put you back to within basically 10 sq meters. You can get the more expensive models on sale when they become replaced with the newer ones. DO NOT TRUST YOUR PHONE. Too many search and rescue call outs when folks can’t find their cars again. And as always, practice with what ever you get and learn to use and trust it.

I have a garmin oregon 600, well worth the investment if you travel off road. If you stay near town then an app on your phone will just fine. I use Mytrails, it shows all the trails and overgrown trails that my garmin sees, but I would not trust it if I was stranded.

I have an Oregon 600, also. It's touch screen and very versatile. I'm glad I bought it several years ago. Just note--some of the Garmin models do not come with pre-installed topo maps. If you purchase a Garmin GPS without maps, you can download from the internet or purchase from Garmin. On my Android phone I use Locus Map, which is a GPS app with many features. But I trust my Garmin more than my phone.

I agree with the Oregon units. I have a 700 but had a 550 I got cheap on eBay and it was great too. Even a 450 which can be had for under $100 prime condition used.with it I no longer get afraid of being lost and that makes hunting in woods so much more enjoyable

I didn't see in your post whether you were looking for a GPS to use in a car (although many cars come equipped with an installed GPS) or a handheld GPS that you can use out in the fields as well as in your car. Do you want it to be able to talk to you and tell you when you need to change direction?
The more toys you want the more the GPS will cost. Also look for one that offers map updates for an extended period of time. My very old Garmin Map60 can also accept sim cards to add foreign maps if you should be travelling in major countries around the world. It is however old enough that Garmin does not provide updates or service if needed..