Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Great morning-learned something about my CTX!

Pyledriver

This will probably not be new to many of you. However, as a new CTX user I feel I had a bit of a breakthrough on a morning hunt. We hunted some super trashy demo lots in an old part of town, hoping for shiny stuff but I was struggling with which mode I wanted and what it might do. Finally I just decided to use Evan's 'Gone Hunting' program and listen to the constant chatter. The breakthrough was when I did that-and slowed down! Those coins would squeak out a quick high tone and I was able to stop and zero in on them! I mainly listened for tone, then looked at ID and learned to trust what the machine was telling me! Now I do have to admit that I just got back from the desert where low and slow is the order of the day. So I was already mentally programmed to detect in the same manner. Well it worked and I plan to do that same thing again first chance!

Best find-1908 Indian head penny!

Pyledriver said:
This will probably not be new to many of you. However, as a new CTX user I feel I had a bit of a breakthrough on a morning hunt. We hunted some super trashy demo lots in an old part of town, hoping for shiny stuff but I was struggling with which mode I wanted and what it might do. Finally I just decided to use Evan's 'Gone Hunting' program and listen to the constant chatter. The breakthrough was when I did that-and slowed down! Those coins would squeak out a quick high tone and I was able to stop and zero in on them! I mainly listened for tone, then looked at ID and learned to trust what the machine was telling me! Now I do have to admit that I just got back from the desert where low and slow is the order of the day. So I was already mentally programmed to detect in the same manner. Well it worked and I plan to do that same thing again first chance!

Best find-1908 Indian head penny!

Awesome IH!! What sensitivity where you running and how deep was she? What was your ratio of keepers digging those high tone squeaks.. I have been trying out the GH program on areas I have already hit with other patterns... I'm hoping to sniff out some missed finds as well.

Tim.

Pyledriver said:
.......and learned to trust what the machine was telling me!.....

I've had a few 'ah-Ha' moments in this hobby, but by far, that one was the most important. (its true for every good machine)
Congratulations- its even more fun from here!

Yes, having Tesoros and AT pro and gold had me swinging too fast for the CTX. Thinking I was going slow enough and actually going slow enough...well each machine is different. I do think running my PI for nuggets was helpful conditioning. What's funny (in a way) was that I was comparing an Excal technique with bringing a signal up on tiny nuggets with the 2300 just two weeks ago. The CTX does the same thing if you give it a chance, the difference being the coin from trash vs a nugget in horrible hot rock infested ground.

Oh-sens was 'auto' zero offset, ran somewhere around 20-23, depth probably only 5" or so.

Use the small coil, crank the manual sense to about 25-27, open screen, and a minimum of 5 seconds from left to right and another 5 seconds right to left. Then stop and investigate every high tone (or whatever you have it set to get your attention), little tiny 2" left and 2" right sweeps, then move around 90 degrees and do the same. Pinpoint and Target trace. I also will quite often enable 'seawater' to cut some of the chatter down. It works. In 5.5 years with the CTX, over 29,000 coins, and right at 700 silver coins. Many taken from some of the most nail and trash infested places you can imagine! The CTX will find them!

Yes that small coil is on my list! Wish I could afford the coiltek but maybe later! This year I decided to go full bore and upgraded my gold machine and my 'everything else' machine. Have to build up more funds for the rest of the toys!

No, just a 'no mark' Indian..