Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ground Balance

PDH

Hello everyone, new Nox 800 user here. I've been playing with the machine in my test garden and so far I'm pretty impressed. In my soil, Park 2 seems to give me the best depth and clarity of signals. I do have a question regarding ground balance that I sure some of you more experienced folks can answer. Why is the ground balance numbers different in Park vs Field. My readings are 20 - 25 numbers different. Seems odd to me.

From what I understand each mode uses a slightly different ratio of the multi frequencies available on the Equinox. On my Deus when I change frequencies using the High frequency coil my ground balance and target ID numbers change too. For the most part, the target ID numbers on the Equinox seem to be normalized throughout the modes. The ground balance numbers are not which is why Minelab says to ground balance each mode in use separately.

Jeff

jmaclen said:
From what I understand each mode uses a slightly different ratio of the multi frequencies available on the Equinox. On my Deus when I change frequencies using the High frequency coil my ground balance and target ID numbers change too. For the most part, the target ID numbers on the Equinox seem to be normalized throughout the modes. The ground balance numbers are not which is why Minelab says to ground balance each mode in use separately.

Jeff
Well said Jeff I think the manual refers to this as local and global settings but for PDH's sake as a new user I would highly recommend sticking with the default (0) for the ground balance. The manual suggest this unless you have highly mineralized soil. Just put some time in on your machine with factory settings and try some different modes aka park vs, field and see which ones suit your liking first before tweaking some well thought out combinations. JMO
Jeff

PDH said:
Hello everyone, new Nox 800 user here. I've been playing with the machine in my test garden and so far I'm pretty impressed. In my soil, Park 2 seems to give me the best depth and clarity of signals. I do have a question regarding ground balance that I sure some of you more experienced folks can answer. Why is the ground balance numbers different in Park vs Field. My readings are 20 - 25 numbers different. Seems odd to me.

***************************************************​

"Hi all".......Ground balancing..IN MULTI-MODES...??????????????????????????

You can't......not in the conventional sense...( single frequency mode.)

You may endeavour to do so in 'mult'.....but that’s a compromise........,based on your acceptance of the point of transition from a low-tone to a high tone...( consequential response of many frequencies/harmonics and what’s in the soil.)

So change modes, and you change frequencies..or their 'weighting'. That changes the GB dependencies.

An Induction-Balanced double-D coil can only be balanced at one frequency.....in-Air...OR one level of soil-mineralisation.
Change either, and the original balance degrades.
Remember....you don't have conventional GB on any other M'labs, which use multi-frequencies. FBS etc.

Don't be confused by 'I-Q' and its 'differences from FBS..etc......
Receiver functionalities may differ... But it's still a multi-rectangular PULSE-TRANSMISSION.....feeding into an IB configured coil........matt

gonzo1968 said:
Huh? I live in the desert with high mineralization. So GB’ing is still pointless?
That's the interesting thing about detecting, conditions dictate how you set your machine. I don't live where you do so you will have to be the judge of how your machine responds. The ground balance function has been added to the equinox for a reason just as it was installed on the CTX platform. I would use the manual balance function sparingly if you think you need to and pay attention to the performance in terms of depth, response to rusty iron, chatter etc.. Field one is designed around some tougher conditions so it might be worth a look.
Jeff

Sounds like you need to ground balance every time you change modes. Each mode has it's own ground balancing algorithm. I don't think that it is global. As long each mode knows what it is doing, it doesn't matter what the read outs are. You can manually gb, and just don't worry about what the final gb readout is. As long as it works. This is all that really matters. And you can take notes, such as, in Park, a gb of 12 will equal a gb of 24 in Field mode, Etc. Just makes it more fun for everyone. You can even enter all of your gb readouts into an Excel spreadsheet, produce a scattergram plot chart, run a trendline, and use the resulting line equasion to calculate exactly what the gb readout will be in Field mode, given the the Park mode gb readout value, etc. Just makes it even more fun for everyone.

MassSaltH2O said:
Sounds like you need to ground balance every time you change modes. Each mode has it's own ground balancing algorithm......

You know where you can find that information? Its right there in the owner manual! :clapping: