Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ground Balance

I go auto then engage tracking. I'll rebalance/check occasionally but always make sure tracking is on. Virtually all my detecting is on man made landscape surfaces with alkaline sub surfaces of decomposed granite and the ground can change suddenly depending on what type of fill was used. Almost all areas GB initially at 1 in Park A unless I am down in the flood plain area where it will hit the mid 30s.

Guess I am being mildly skeptical but I find auto channel first then manually do the GB. Tracking is on for the reasons stated above. 95% of the big area I currently hunt shows 22-25 on GB, and it seems one can do Auto but you think the same channel would be chosen but its a crap shoot, 1-13 and not seemingly repeatable constantly

Guess I am being mildly skeptical but I find auto channel first then manually do the GB. Tracking is on for the reasons stated above. 95% of the big area I currently hunt shows 22-25 on GB, and it seems one can do Auto but you think the same channel would be chosen but its a crap shoot, 1-13 and not seemingly repeatable constantly
I do the same thing(noise cancel) first but also always wonder if that is something which changes with each frequency and is the whole process necessary everytime a new frequency is selected. I don't change from M3 often but do on occasion. When I do check the GB manually , I find the reading at the onset provided by tracking to be very close to the manual number I eventually end up with so I have reasonably high confidence the GB is pretty close most of the time. Frankly , my detecting acumen is not sufficient enough to know if manually setting the GB positive or negative would be advised.

Exactly!!! I’ve had 40+ numbers appear and if I shift just a little to confirm it sometimes disappears. I go back to original angle and its 50/50 if target still sounding. Otherwise to put my answer to the question I can mostly get 10-15 swings and then nothing. Manual says to go get another target and come back and it should be there again.

Note: In my infamous Hell Zone I sometimes get good signals and dig only to discover nothing there. Put plug back in and low and behold its back. Sometimes its a shallow item (almost surface) but says it deep and other times I have no idea. I have discovered where it says it is best may be simply a halo effect and actual iron of junk is offset.

For me, it depends on the site's ground conditions. If at least one bar will show on the Mineralization scale, I do an Auto Ground Balance then keep an ear on it. I normally hunt in A Disc so it is easy to monitor. If running G Disc, I just re-check every little bit. If the ground has no mineral bars I will run 0 Ground Balance. On my higher(3-4 Bar) mineral sites I have found the Tracking to be unreliable. The ground changes a lot over fairly small areas. These are red clay/dirt sites that are now stock pasture but were once heavily wooded. You can tell where a big tree stood long ago by the detector's ground response and by digging. I have the same issue with Tracking on these sites with the Anfibio and Tarsacci. It is just the way the ground is. I do think the Legend's Tracking was actually better performing in V1.05 but I sure don't want to go back. @Ronstar , in reading your response I will suggest for your EMI HZ to get a good GB then run with Tracking OFF. Try A Disc with the first Tone Break at 8 and a low but audible volume for the iron. Go by the tones as the EMI will make TDIs unreliable on the weaker targets. See if this helps with the ghosts.

JCR,
Currently on the OR coast so trying to learn beach modes. Will try your suggestion once back home next week, thanks!!!