Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ground cancel

HanoverDigger

I've been watching videos on the setup. One particular guy says he sets up the machine first THEN ground cancels. I'll go along with the manual. What's y'all's thoughts? Thanks.

Ground balance or noise cancel? I always noise cancel after setup. I never touch my ground balance.
I meant noise cancel, sorry for the confusion. Another guy says it's a good idea to ground balance too. I tend to agree with that.

I pick a search mode, set sensitivity around 20, noise cancel, ground balance and go detect. It takes 30 seconds or less.

I don't GB either. In all my testing done over known targets with a ground balance, and then rolling the GB number back to zero, I could never see an iota of difference.

Good to see different opinions on ground balance. I've been doing it for so long I guess it won't hurt one way or the other on the 800. Thanks.

"5900_XL-1,": I don't GB either. In all my testing done over known targets with a ground balance, and then rolling the GB number back to zero, I could never see an iota of difference.
You must have very favorable ground. In the over 45 years we've had Ground Balance function on our recreational detectors, I have a habit of making the best proper or functional GB adjustment at any search site. I do it because quite often I found that an errant GB setting can really mess up detector performance. While I have a couple of detectors I my Daily-Use Team that do not have a user-adjustable GB, most of my detectors do. And since I live in an area, or travel to various hunt sites that differ drastically from where I live, I like to be able to adjust for the challenging ground mineral make-up that confronts me.

And I had an Equinox 800 for a while I noted some significant changes in performance between the default GB and a properly adjusted GB.

Monte

"5900_XL-1,": I don't GB either. In all my testing done over known targets with a ground balance, and then rolling the GB number back to zero, I could never see an iota of difference.
You must have very favorable ground. In the over 45 years we've had Ground Balance function on our recreational detectors, I have a habit of making the best proper or functional GB adjustment at any search site. I do it because quite often I found that an errant GB setting can really mess up detector performance. While I have a couple of detectors I my Daily-Use Team that do not have a user-adjustable GB, most of my detectors do. And since I live in an area, or travel to various hunt sites that differ drastically from where I live, I like to be able to adjust for the challenging ground mineral make-up that confronts me.

And I had an Equinox 800 for a while I noted some significant changes in performance between the default GB and a properly adjusted GB.

Monte
I would GB running a single frequency but multi...nope. The Nox certainly makes a difference running with balances in any frequency besides Multi. Minelab said it wasn't needed in multi. I balanced all of my earlier machines since beginning in 2010, it was a mantra. I would have thought that the Eqionox after a GB, would improve even in Multi, because my GB number settles around 60. Mine simply works fine with zero GB, forced to "0" after doing a GB in Multi. Sixty is quite a big number for it to not have resulted in a noticeable improvement at all. I always got improvement with my other machines. I believe my soil is generally rated at moderate mineralization.

The soil where I hunt is very mild. I don’t do much beach hunting. I don’t typically adjust my GB on my equinox. When I was using my Garrett machines I would always did the manual GB. Seemed as if it were necessary on the pro and max. A lot of the places I hunt have so much iron, emi and modern trash around that it is hard to find a clean spot to GB.

So Minelab did say in the Equinox manual that leaving the ground balance on its default setting is good enough for most detecting. I agree with that. However, when I follow this recommendation I literally cannot use two important functions that I need to use. I have owned multiple Equinox and Vanquish detectors and the result is the same. If I don’t ground balance or in the case of the Vanquish, can’t adjust the ground balance setting, I get loud ground feedback when raising, lowering and even just sweeping the coil if I press the horseshoe button to accept all targets. I get the same ground noise effects when trying to use the onboard pinpoint function. So, obviously I detect in areas not covered by Minelab’s “ground balancing is not necessary” recommendation.

Doing a quick ground grab completely solves the problem. Most of the time the ground balance numbers end up between -3 and +7 where I detect. On the Equinox and the X-Terras, higher numbers usually mean less mineralization and milder soil conditions unlike most other brands which are the opposite.

Last edited:
So Minelab did say in the Equinox manual that leaving the ground balance on its default setting is good enough for most detecting. I agree with that. However, when I follow this recommendation I literally cannot use two important functions that I need to use. I have owned multiple Equinox and Vanquish detectors and the result is the same. If I don’t ground balance or in the case of the Vanquish, can’t adjust the ground balance setting, I get loud ground feedback when raising, lowering and even just sweeping the coil if I press the horseshoe button to accept all targets. I get the same ground noise effects when trying to use the onboard pinpoint function. So, obviously I detect in areas not covered by Minelab’s “ground balancing is not necessary” recommendation.

Doing a quick ground grab completely solves the problem. Most of the time the ground balance numbers end up between -3 and +7 where I detect. On the Equinox and the X-Terras, higher numbers usually mean less mineralization and milder soil conditions unlike most other brands which are the opposite.
I agree about higher numbers representing lower mineralized ground with the XTerrra, but not sure if that is true with the Equinox.
Where I detect (Virginia), generally the ground balance on my XTerra 50 is around 13 or less.... sometimes as low as 3-5.
On the Equinox at these same sites, it is up in the 50’s or higher.

Last edited:
I agree about higher numbers representing lower mineralized ground with the XTerrra, but not sure if that is true with the Equinox.
Where I detect (Virginia), generally the ground balance on my XTerra 50 is around 13 or less.... sometimes as low as 3-5.
On the Equinox at these same sites, it is up in the 50’s or higher.

I don't know if this matters but the XT 50 had a ground balance range of 0 to 50 (I think) the XT 705 which is what I was referring to had a ground balance range of 0 to 90 and the Equinox has a ground balance range of -9 to +99.

When I got my first Equinox I still had my XT 705 and a XT 50. My XT 50 would ground balance around 15, my XT 705 would ground balance around 8 and my Equinox would ground balance around 3 on the same hot ground. (In contrast, my Deus and Teknetics G2+ have almost full mineralization bars and very high ground phase numbers from 87 to 93 in the same areas.)That was using the automatic ground grab or manual ground balance. Where I detect, using tracking ground balance with the XT 705 and the Equinox would result in numbers going wildly up and down by over 50 numbers just moving the coil a few feet. I just quit using tracking since it made those detectors too unstable.

Last edited:
I don't know if this matters but the XT 50 had a ground balance range of 0 to 50 (I think) the XT 705 which is what I was referring to had a ground balance range of 0 to 90 and the Equinox has a ground balance range of -9 to +99.

When I got my first Equinox I still had my XT 705 and a XT 50. My XT 50 would ground balance around 15, my XT 705 would ground balance around 8 and my Equinox would ground balance around 3 on the same hot ground. That was using the automatic ground grab or manual ground balance. Where I detect, using tracking ground balance with the XT 705 and the Equinox would result in numbers going wildly up and down by over 50 numbers just moving the coil a few feet. I just quit using tracking since it made those detectors too unstable.
The XTerra 50 ground balance range is 0-20.
I see what you are referring to now.
It’s odd the two XTerras gave such different numbers on the same ground.
I normally do not ground balance the Equinox and have used it in many different types of soil and it seemed to do fine.
After reading some of these comments, I may run some tests at some sites.
Thanks for the examples above.

The XTerra 50 ground balance range is 0-20.
I see what you are referring to now.
It’s odd the two XTerras gave such different numbers on the same ground.
I normally do not ground balance the Equinox and have used it in many different types of soil and it seemed to do fine.
After reading some of these comments, I may run some tests at some sites.
Thanks for the examples above.

Your post helped me remember that I had an XT 505 too. I think I was giving numbers for the 505 (15) which has 0 to 50. Obviously I can't keep my detectors straight and I don't remember what ground phase numbers were for the XT50.

Your post helped me remember that I had an XT 505 too. I think I was giving numbers for the 505 (15) which has 0 to 50. Obviously I can't keep my detectors straight and I don't remember what ground phase numbers were for the XT50.

I see.... that makes a little more sense now.
Still up in the air about the Equinox though, I see why you arrived at your conclusion though... just not seeing the same thing at my sites.