Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ground Setting?

Jackalope

I'm wondering about how reliable the Ground Setting feature is on the E-Trac? During my hunting I've noticed that the mineralization in this area jumps all over, sometimes every few steps. I'm not really confident that my machine is ground balanced anymore. I have the manual for the E-trac and I'm wondering how often the E-Trac Ground updates. I understand that the Suggested Sensitivity is used to determine how hot the soil is but other than (Neutral or Difficult) are there other ways to control the Ground setting? I'm thinking my area calls for a machine with an automatic ground balance. Sure would be a good excuse to get a new machine.

Ron

The ground is removed from the equation by a complex algorithm in a very fast microprocessor

Neutral being a less aggressive factor in the Algorithm

Difficult being a more aggressive Factor in the Algorithm

The right setting will reduce falsing and improve target ID

with these two variables one can set the receiver gain just shy of saturation and realize the Deepest potential depth for the ground

you are working like all detectors an operator will see times when making the right discrimination settings and sensitivity settings

decisions will afford one to work in adverse conditions..... while others merely give up.....AS Good as the E-trac is.... it is still a tool ....

AND..... A Great One it IS .....but there is still No Magic WAND......KNOW THY MACHINE !..... IT IS NOT AN EXPLORER ....

Happy Trails
Jim Pugh

Thanks for the input on the automatic ground balancing. Spent a few hours today in a heavy mineralized area. (F-75 with GB = 89, fe3o4 = .3) Found some clad and one wheat, mostly shallow. Every time I used the FastGrab it was always a few numbers off when I started. Got to the point where every time I found what I thought was a good target, I would FastGrab and check it again before digging.

Maybe there are some readers out there that have the E-trac and use it in ground this hot. I'm interested to know how the E-trac does? Do you wind up with a real low Suggested Sensitivity? With the GB value bouncing around so much, would Auto (+) would be better depth wise?

Also interested if a modified E-trac model is around the corner or maybe the next new model? The 1942 wheat I found today is one of the oldest coins I've found so far here in WY. An 1865 nickel three cent piece is my oldest but found it in Mich. with my XLT. That's if you don't count the 1700's era Chinese coin I found there. I'm hoping to get back to recovering some old stuff. Maybe something like the E-trac is what I need because I'm sure there are old coins around here just waiting for me to find them.

Ron

n/t

Greetings guys,
My name is Todd and I am a Minelab dealer in Texas. I live on a solid granite dome, lots of black sand and other minerals. It was hard at first, but you have to learn to trust the auto sensitivity function on the E-Trac. I hope this picture attaches. I was running my detector on a burnt down home site. The ground was bad, very bad. In the picture you will see my auto sens. was running at 1. The display is showing FE 9 CON 41, I had just dug a 1996 .50 coin at about 2 inches. I was running deep off, fast on, trash high and ground difficult with auto sens. on. I was using one of my own patterns for American coins. The reading wasn't perfect is should be around 12/47, but it still sounded good. The E-Trac was operating at its optimum setting for the ground it was reading. I could have set it to manual 20+, but on that ground it would not have been the best setting. At that site I never got a reading above 12 on the sens. Did I loose depth? you bet, but I didn't miss any coins in the ground that my machine was reading. Its a great machine you just have to trust the programming.

Thanks

I too sold my F75 and now use the E-Trac. Outside of the 75 being lighter and faster target responce the ET wins. Wins big in bad ground.

Why not use ALL Metal on the F75. Then your Detector will not be affected by heavy mineralization at all. Just dig nothing under say 18. Dig all repeatable each way targets over 18.

True, but you will become fatigued quickly, getting a pian in the neck from constantly looking at the sceen. I used to try that with mine, before I sold it and went with the E-TRAC. I think that is the way to use the F75 in places that no longer produce in disc or 2+ ... but you are right, it works! That way you will find those targets that the F75 has been telling you were iron because of masking.

It is tedious though.

J

Wow! I'm glad I asked for advice. I honestly didn't know that All Metal on the F-75 was unaffected by ground mineralization. Maybe now I'll be able to get down to those older targets.

Thanks again!

Ron