Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hand Grip Shredding:rant: Followup:nerd:

Overvoltage

Devildog and everyone else who has had a problem with the rubber hand grip shredding, what type of gloves do you use? I have only used leather gloves when I am using my detector. I have had my CXT for almost 2 years and put about 8 hours a week on it. Other than being dirty my grip is as it was when I purchased it. Today however, I went to purchase some new gloves and I when I tried on some nitrile gloves I noticed my hands were very oily feeling when I took them off and that's when it hit me. I remembered this thread and wondered if there was a connection to the chemicals in the nitrile gloves and the rubber on the handle deteriorating.
So (STATISTICAL SURVEY):
How long have you had your CTX?
How many hours a week do you detect (average)?
What gloves do you use?
What is the condition of your grip?

1 year with CTX, use leather gloves. I had handgrip shredding troubles with my last ML machine so I wrapped the CTX grip on day one. No worries now, stays mint on land/sea regardless of what gloves I choose to wear. JJ

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Nashua-Tape-1-in-x-3-33-yd-Stretch-Seal-Self-Fusing-Silicone-Tape-Black-1208952/100206050/

15 months
16 hrs/week
Nitrile
moderate shredding

I have now wrapped mine with a self fusing silicone tape.

I know there are some sun screens that damage fly lines???

I've used the cheapest version of this stuff on all my detector handles for the last few years, including that of the CTX3030. Works great. Cheap to replace and really helps with grip. Haven't tried it under water yet, but should be OK.

An example: Synthetic Grip Wrap Polyurethane Bicycle Racket Handle Tape, obtained from Weebay.....

2.5 yrs, 25-30 hours a week, no issues at all with the grip, cloth gloves or cloth with some sort of rough rubber?? plastic coating.

Have 2 CTX's, one about 2-1/2 yrs, other about 1 year.

I wear a 'fake leather' mechanics glove on right (detector) hand, and a kevlar/nitrile glove on left (digging) hand.
The fake leather feels just like real leather, but dries very quickly and remains soft.
The kevlar/nitrile always feels sticky on the inside and smells funny, but it's saved my hand from cuts so many times...

Hunt quite a bit....several times a week; at minumum 3hrs, max 7hrs per hunt.
No problems with either grip, so far.

my ctx doesnt have a hand grip and I just looked at pics of ctx online and no hand grips in the pics.

Edit: oh your talking about the rubber piece on the front of the handle.

I was thinking of like a foam wrap around the handle.

Rubber on side facing toward coil

Real and fake leather gloves. Rarely bare hands. I would say fiteen hours a week averaged throughout the season.