Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

has anyone else seen rainbows?

horikindaguy

When I received my CTX I fully charged the battery, removed the protective screen film and took it out.
I noticed that there was a rainbow effect on the right side of the screen that would 'shimmer' as the screen was tilted.
this was along the borders of the screen (right side only) like a reverse letter 'C' and pretty pervasive. Playing with the backlight brightness
control helped to alleviate the problem somewhat. it definitely made it more difficult to see target traces though.
I kept using the CTX, several short hunts of 2 hours or so and found the problem seemed to go away so I stopped worrying about it.
I finally ran the battery down completely and recharged it to full capacity and lo and behold the 'rainbow' effect has returned again.
So this may be related to having a fully charged battery (and a higher voltage/current to the screen?). Any one else seen this behaviour?
Any ideas?
I haven't contacted contacted Minelab yet but plan to do so.

cheers...

That's not to gooooooood. I think you are doing the right thing by contacting Minelab and getting it fixed or replaced. Mine comes today. I'll see if it has the same problem.

Call minelab USA. I'm sure they will either figure out the problem for you or exchange your detector for a new one.

That rainbow effect may be on the screen even when the machine is off. It must be something with the clear plastic screen. I can see rainbows that radiate from the top center, down and out to the sides. You have to get the light on the screen a certain way, and on mine is actually more visible when the machine is off. HOWEVER, I have used the machine twice for about 8 hours and never noticed the rainbow effect, so I don't know if it is really an issue.

I think some rainbow effect is normal depending on many factors, the display is polarized to help reduce glare. Wearing polarized glasses will really send you on a 70's trip, just add a lava lamp and love beads....:biggrin:

Tried to take some photos of my screen today showing this effect. Very difficult to do. Notice the 'blooming' on the lower right corner, then some bottom and top blooms and the last pic shows a reverse 'C'. The effect is actually pretty pronounced in person. The first photo shows some 'target trace' info.

I've seen a 'cold' detector's display show similar effects (V3i).....due to being in a damp atmosphere. (Car's boot, cold morning.)

That disappeared once the unit 'warmed-up'....Matt

He said he removed it in the first line of his post.

I would contact ML immediately

Larry (IL) said:
I think some rainbow effect is normal depending on many factors, the display is polarized to help reduce glare. Wearing polarized glasses will really send you on a 70's trip, just add a lava lamp and love beads....:biggrin:

Thanks for the idea Larry. I'm gonna get me some ploarized glasses, bring some Jimi Hendrix along and have some fun.

Albert